PDA

View Full Version : Re: Homebrew EFB from Tablet PC

blanche cohen
August 9th 03, 06:00 AM
Have you checked into Destination Direct? Runs in Wintel, has
the ability to support most GPS in real-time, has the capability
to display current charts, and supports flight-planning both
VFR and IFR.

Leland Vandervort
August 9th 03, 09:46 AM
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:16:13 GMT, "Mark T. Mueller"
> wrote:

>Come on all you data dinks and code munchers! SOMEONE has to be able to
>build a Jepp-Killer app for the Tablet PC at half the annual subscription
>cost!!! I would be willing to pay $500/year for all approach plates and
>VFR/IFR charts compatible with good moving map software that had NexRAD
>overlay capability, and I am sure there are many other pilots out there
>willing to pay that much for a good alternative to Jepp...

How about an etch-a-sketch.. only costs like $10 and takes up the
same amount of space ;-)

<evil grin>

G'day

Leland

Mark T. Mueller
August 9th 03, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the link. I cannot believe I missed them at OSH!!! It just goes
to show how big OSH really is...

I will have to check this out. About the only thing they are missing are
approach plates.

"hlongworth" > wrote in message
om...
> I was leaning toward getting AnywhereMap then add Anywhere Wx later
> but would prefer a bigger screen and more capable hardware. Tablet PC
> format seems ideal. Just learned about this site few days ago through
> a thread on WeatherWorks
>
> http://www.airgator.com/pricing.htm
>
> They offer GPS and Weather in both PDA and Tablet PC format. Richard
> Kaplan's post (XMRadio Satellite Weather Has Arrived) described the
> Weather program in details, but I have not been to find any reviews or
> users' feedback on the NAVAir program.

Jay Honeck
August 9th 03, 08:30 PM
> How about an etch-a-sketch.. only costs like $10 and takes up the
> same amount of space ;-)
>
> <evil grin>

Yeah, but it would cost WAAAY more than $500 per year to hire a guy to draw
all the approach plates for ya.... ;)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
August 9th 03, 10:17 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > How about an etch-a-sketch.. only costs like $10 and takes up the
> > same amount of space ;-)
> >
> > <evil grin>
>
> Yeah, but it would cost WAAAY more than $500 per year to hire a guy to
draw
> all the approach plates for ya.... ;)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

and don't do any negative G's along the way!

Scott Moore
August 10th 03, 02:21 AM
"Mark T. Mueller" wrote:

> Any ideas other than JeppView (which is highway robbery at $1000/year
> subscription and still doesn't do everything AnywhereWx does)???

Jeppview is quite affordable if you limit the area covered and don't
try to get the entire united states. For long trips, you can get the
electronic version of tripp kits.

I pay about $250 for the western states.

--
For most men, true happiness can only be achieved with a woman.
Also for most men, true happiness can only be achieved without a woman.

Scott Moore
August 10th 03, 02:21 AM
"Mark T. Mueller" wrote:

> Any ideas other than JeppView (which is highway robbery at $1000/year
> subscription and still doesn't do everything AnywhereWx does)???

Jeppview is quite affordable if you limit the area covered and don't
try to get the entire united states. For long trips, you can get the
electronic version of tripp kits.

I pay about $250 for the western states.

--
For most men, true happiness can only be achieved with a woman.
Also for most men, true happiness can only be achieved without a woman.
Sharp minds have noted that these two rules tend to conflict.....

John T
August 10th 03, 05:17 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> and don't do any negative G's along the way!

It's not the G's as much as the turbulence... :)

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

john smith