PDA

View Full Version : A different lamp base

Blanche Cohen
December 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Had to replace the cast iron/steel/whatever cylinder (Piper part 65319)
on my cherokee a couple years ago because of a crack (which later was
an AD, but my A&P caught it early). The shop presented it to me with
the comment "it'll make a *great* lamp base!".

Well, not for me. I don't think any of my tables would hold the
weight! But if anyone would like it (for lamp or scrap, I don't
think it can be repaired) let me know, and it's your's for
shipping (as cheap as I can find it) and a pint of Ben & Jerry's
Chocolate Fudge ice cream.

Why now? Because I'm cleaning out the basement--lousy weather in
Colorado.

Jim Burns
December 5th 05, 10:10 PM
I've often thought that a cylinder w/head would make an awesome lamp. I'm
waiting for my ag flying buddys to get back from the convention in Reno to
ask them to save the next one they have to pull off one of their round
engines. I figure that I'd make a floorlamp out of it.

Jim

"Blanche Cohen" > wrote in message
> Had to replace the cast iron/steel/whatever cylinder (Piper part 65319)
> on my cherokee a couple years ago because of a crack (which later was
> an AD, but my A&P caught it early). The shop presented it to me with
> the comment "it'll make a *great* lamp base!".
>
> Well, not for me. I don't think any of my tables would hold the
> weight! But if anyone would like it (for lamp or scrap, I don't
> think it can be repaired) let me know, and it's your's for
> shipping (as cheap as I can find it) and a pint of Ben & Jerry's
> Chocolate Fudge ice cream.
>
> Why now? Because I'm cleaning out the basement--lousy weather in
> Colorado.

December 5th 05, 10:11 PM
Jim
Then get a bent prop to attach and you have an unusual floor lamp. Have
seen them used for lamps and ashtrays...
ol ag pilot

Jay Beckman
December 5th 05, 10:13 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> I've often thought that a cylinder w/head would make an awesome lamp. I'm
> waiting for my ag flying buddys to get back from the convention in Reno to
> ask them to save the next one they have to pull off one of their round
> engines. I figure that I'd make a floorlamp out of it.
>
> Jim

Jim, et al...

You've seen these folks haven't ya?:

http://www.motoart.com/html/slideshows.htm

Pretty cool stuf.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

RST Engineering
December 6th 05, 07:33 PM
I dunno about a lamp, but the one I thrashed in Wyoming makes a hell of a
nice outdoor planter.

Jim

"Blanche Cohen" > wrote in message
> Had to replace the cast iron/steel/whatever cylinder (Piper part 65319)
> on my cherokee a couple years ago because of a crack (which later was
> an AD, but my A&P caught it early). The shop presented it to me with
> the comment "it'll make a *great* lamp base!".
>
> Well, not for me. I don't think any of my tables would hold the
> weight! But if anyone would like it (for lamp or scrap, I don't
> think it can be repaired) let me know, and it's your's for
> shipping (as cheap as I can find it) and a pint of Ben & Jerry's
> Chocolate Fudge ice cream.
>
> Why now? Because I'm cleaning out the basement--lousy weather in
> Colorado.

Bob Chilcoat
December 7th 05, 12:14 AM
I visited a company once that had a P&W radial engine as its conference
table. Basically the engine was facing upward on feet, with a round glass
top over it (the prop shaft stuck up in the center of the table). The
chairs were aluminum B-52 seats. You had to be very careful pulling up to
the table, because you could really knock your shins on the rocker arm
covers. Ask me how I know.

"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> I've often thought that a cylinder w/head would make an awesome lamp. I'm
> waiting for my ag flying buddys to get back from the convention in Reno to
> ask them to save the next one they have to pull off one of their round
> engines. I figure that I'd make a floorlamp out of it.
>
> Jim
>
> "Blanche Cohen" > wrote in message
>> Had to replace the cast iron/steel/whatever cylinder (Piper part 65319)
>> on my cherokee a couple years ago because of a crack (which later was
>> an AD, but my A&P caught it early). The shop presented it to me with
>> the comment "it'll make a *great* lamp base!".
>>
>> Well, not for me. I don't think any of my tables would hold the
>> weight! But if anyone would like it (for lamp or scrap, I don't
>> think it can be repaired) let me know, and it's your's for
>> shipping (as cheap as I can find it) and a pint of Ben & Jerry's
>> Chocolate Fudge ice cream.
>>
>> Why now? Because I'm cleaning out the basement--lousy weather in
>> Colorado.

Morgans
December 7th 05, 04:30 AM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
.. .
> I dunno about a lamp, but the one I thrashed in Wyoming makes a hell of a
> nice outdoor planter.

You ought to say it's nice.... for how much it costs, as use for a planter,
right? <gdr!>

Do you have posies growing through the hole in the case? ;-))
--
Jim in NC

RST Engineering
December 7th 05, 06:34 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> I dunno about a lamp, but the one I thrashed in Wyoming makes a hell of a
>> nice outdoor planter.
>
> You ought to say it's nice.... for how much it costs, as use for a
> planter,
> right? <gdr!>
>
> Do you have posies growing through the hole in the case? ;-))

Ought to be a hole big enough to pass a piston through upside down. Built
in drain holes in the bottom through the valve guides and spark plug holes.

Jim

Newps
December 7th 05, 03:26 PM
I had a 470 cylinder that I cracked sitting around here that I wanted
made into a lamp. My wife finally found a guy at a craft fair here.
They were from Greybull, WY. Turned out really cool.

RST Engineering wrote:

> I dunno about a lamp, but the one I thrashed in Wyoming makes a hell of a
> nice outdoor planter.
>
> Jim
>

> "Blanche Cohen" > wrote in message
>
>>Had to replace the cast iron/steel/whatever cylinder (Piper part 65319)
>>on my cherokee a couple years ago because of a crack (which later was
>>an AD, but my A&P caught it early). The shop presented it to me with
>>the comment "it'll make a *great* lamp base!".
>>
>>Well, not for me. I don't think any of my tables would hold the
>>weight! But if anyone would like it (for lamp or scrap, I don't
>>think it can be repaired) let me know, and it's your's for
>>shipping (as cheap as I can find it) and a pint of Ben & Jerry's
>>Chocolate Fudge ice cream.
>>
>>Why now? Because I'm cleaning out the basement--lousy weather in
>>Colorado.

John T
December 7th 05, 07:08 PM
On a slightly differnt tack, I have a prop blade from a Beech Starship
that my company used to lease. I've been wondering what to do it it, but
I'm not sure it's stable enough to be a lamp post, and I don't think I
could get a wire through it. Any ideas?

John

Morgans
December 8th 05, 03:28 AM
"John T" > wrote in message
> On a slightly differnt tack, I have a prop blade from a Beech Starship
> that my company used to lease. I've been wondering what to do it it, but
> I'm not sure it's stable enough to be a lamp post, and I don't think I
> could get a wire through it. Any ideas?

A machinist worth his salt should be able to bore that long of a hole. As
far as stability, how about a spinner with a hole cut in the small in to
pass the prop through? A bunch of weight in it should make it stable
enough.
--
Jim in NC

Montblack
December 8th 05, 03:47 AM
("John T" wrote)
> On a slightly differnt tack, I have a prop blade from a Beech Starship
> that my company used to lease. I've been wondering what to do it it, but
> I'm not sure it's stable enough to be a lamp post, and I don't think I
> could get a wire through it. Any ideas?

Pack it in a box and ship it to the Alexis Park Inn (Google it). I bet Jay
would put it up in his hotel with your name on it.

It was sure nice seeing the Starship at Oshkosh this year.

Montblack

John T
December 8th 05, 06:41 PM
Oh, we have the tooling to cut a long hole, called a gun drill. You see,
the problem is that lubrication for the drill comes out of the tip of
the drill, under high pressure. So whaddya think happens when the drill
breaks out of the end? :)

John

Morgans
December 8th 05, 11:14 PM
"John T" > wrote in message
> Oh, we have the tooling to cut a long hole, called a gun drill. You see,
> the problem is that lubrication for the drill comes out of the tip of
> the drill, under high pressure. So whaddya think happens when the drill
> breaks out of the end? :)

Uh, it goes all over h*ll and back? What'd'I win? <g>

Really, what is the problem with that?

I would also think that you could mark the depth on the drill, so it does
not quite break through. Drill the rest without lube, or finish from the
other side, or cut a small length off the end. You will need to have a
small flat part on the end of the prop to mount the lamp fixture on, anyway.
--
Jim in NC

George Patterson
December 8th 05, 11:17 PM
John T wrote:
> Oh, we have the tooling to cut a long hole, called a gun drill. You see,
> the problem is that lubrication for the drill comes out of the tip of
> the drill, under high pressure. So whaddya think happens when the drill
> breaks out of the end? :)

About the same thing it does when you're drilling a gun barrel. Unless maybe
you're making muzzle-loaders?

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

John T
December 9th 05, 04:32 PM
Lets just say I don't wanna clean up the oil thats sprays out for 20-30
feet if the drill breaks through.

Seriously though, I don't think it'll be possible to drill this prop
blade in a straight line.

Now if I could could get other prop blades, and a hub, that would make a
BIG coffee table

John

Google