PDA

View Full Version : Anybody installed a JPI analyzer recently?

Paul kgyy
December 13th 05, 03:50 PM
There was quite a lot of heat generated a while back about JPI's
decision to make their system data proprietary, and I'm curious now how
this is working out in practice.

I still have the old EDM700 and am still able to get my data in csv
format, which I like.

Peter R.
December 13th 05, 04:04 PM
Paul kgyy > wrote:

> There was quite a lot of heat generated a while back about JPI's
> decision to make their system data proprietary, and I'm curious now how
> this is working out in practice.
>
> I still have the old EDM700 and am still able to get my data in csv
> format, which I like.

I have an EDM800 in my aircraft and when using the new, free software that
JPI offers, I can easily copy and paste the data from their tables into
Excel without a problem. Thus, I don't quite understand all of the
controversy.

--
Peter

Robert M. Gary
December 13th 05, 04:25 PM
I believe this is all solved now. You can update your software and not
worry about losing the ability to see your data.

Robert M. Gary
December 13th 05, 05:02 PM
At one point, a software update made that impossible. Apparently JPI
was trying to prevent another company from marketing a tool to analyize
your data (since JPI has their own tool they sell). So they decided to
make the data encrypted so you could only see it in their tool (which
did not allow for copy/paste). People complained so they created a
website where you could decrypt your data for a small fee ($5 as I
recall). People still complained so they gave up, and went back to the
regular way.
Some people don't sent their EDMs in very often for software updates
and probably don't realize things changed.

-Robert

Peter R.
December 13th 05, 05:18 PM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote:

<snip>
> Some people don't sent their EDMs in very often for software updates
> and probably don't realize things changed.

Ok, that makes sense and is true in my case. Thanks, Robert.

--
Peter

Google