PDA

View Full Version : Avionics ?

Hankal
August 23rd 03, 01:24 AM
VOR frequency 108.6 on flip flop.
On one of my KX 155 I tried to put in 108.6. It would not show as such.
It was something like 109.0 then when I flipped it to the left is showed as
108.6.
Strange and very confusing since I was setting up for the VOR approach.
Avionics shop is closed for the weekend.
Any ideas or solutions??
Hank N 1441p

Teacherjh
August 23rd 03, 01:47 AM

It was something like 109.0 then when I flipped it to the left is showed as
108.6.
<<

Might a few bars be out? The lower left bar missing from an 8 looks like a 9,
and if the middle bar is missing from the 6 is is "something like" a 0. What
happens when you put 188.8 (or as close as you can get to lighting up all the
elements)?

Does it get better when it warms up?

Jose

Hankal
August 23rd 03, 07:20 PM
>VOR frequency 108.6 on flip flop.
>On one of my KX 155 I tried to put in 108.6. It would not show as such.
>It was something like 109.0 then when I flipped it to the left is showed as
108.6.

Went to the plane this morning and the radio worked fine. Maybe it just did not
want me doing the approach.GRRR frustration.
Hank N 1441P

Stan Gosnell
August 23rd 03, 11:45 PM
(Hankal) wrote in
:

> VOR frequency 108.6 on flip flop.
> On one of my KX 155 I tried to put in 108.6. It would not
> show as such. It was something like 109.0 then when I
> flipped it to the left is showed as 108.6.
> Strange and very confusing since I was setting up for the
> VOR approach. Avionics shop is closed for the weekend.
> Any ideas or solutions??
> Hank N 1441p

You probably have a segment of the LED burned out. Watch as you
change it, & when you go one click past 107, you're at 108. The
only solution is to change the control head. That's going to be
an expensive LED.

--
Regards,

Stan

Ron Rosenfeld
August 24th 03, 02:50 AM
On 23 Aug 2003 22:45:51 GMT, Stan Gosnell > wrote:

(Hankal) wrote in
:

>> VOR frequency 108.6 on flip flop.
>> On one of my KX 155 I tried to put in 108.6. It would not
>> show as such. It was something like 109.0 then when I
>> flipped it to the left is showed as 108.6.
>> Strange and very confusing since I was setting up for the
>> VOR approach. Avionics shop is closed for the weekend.
>> Any ideas or solutions??
>> Hank N 1441p
>
>You probably have a segment of the LED burned out. Watch as you
>change it, & when you go one click past 107, you're at 108. The
>only solution is to change the control head. That's going to be
>an expensive LED.

I don't know what model KX155 you have Stan. There are a few different
one's out there. But on mine, the usual cause for the problem the OP
reported is dirty contacts. And the cleaning of them usually takes just a
few minutes. In addition, although I've not had to do it, the numbers can
be replaced separately from the control head.

Hankal
August 25th 03, 06:06 PM
>I don't know what model KX155 you have Stan. There are a few different
>one's out there. But on mine, the usual cause for the problem the OP
>reported is dirty contacts. And the cleaning of them usually takes just a
few minutes. In addition, although I've not had to do it, the numbers can
be replaced separately from the control head. I called my avionics shop and
they said the same thing. Will fly there tomorrow morning to have them look at
it.
Would hate to have the comm or glideslope crap out on me on a long xc.
Hank N1441P

Google