PDA

View Full Version : Re: GA cockpit weather

David Megginson
August 26th 03, 04:26 PM
"Michael 182" > writes:

> What is the state of the art (or science) with downloading near real-time
> weather (five minute updates) in a GA plane? I just started to look into
> this, and came across WSI in flight. They appear to offer an uncertified
> service for about $3,500 for the receiver, or certified and panel mounted
> for $5,000. On top of that you pay a subscription ($600/yr or $20/day) and
> you have to provide a display - ranging from a PDA to a panel mounted MFD.

Check out the Cheap *******s:

http://www.cheap*******software.net/

The software and actual weather info is free. You need to buy a Palm
VII (or a Palm V with a wireless modem), and you need a subscription
with palm.net (for the Palm VII):

http://www.palmone.com/us/wireless/service/account/serviceplans.html

I haven't tried it yet, personally -- I'm not sure if there's any
coverage in Canada.

All the best,

David

Teacherjh
August 27th 03, 03:12 AM

Check out the Cheap *******s:

http://www.cheap*******software.net/
<<

Great service - I use it too. But it's not real time. The radar maps are about
half an hour old. A lot can happen in half an hour.

Jose

Ron Natalie
August 27th 03, 05:24 PM
"Teacherjh" > wrote in message news:20030826221208.15796.00000846@mb-

> Great service - I use it too. But it's not real time. The radar maps are about
> half an hour old. A lot can happen in half an hour.

None of the Datalink NEXRAD is going to be any better. They're all delayed at
least 15 minutes.

Jon Carlson
August 27th 03, 06:18 PM
IIRC, I think the guy at the WxWorx booth claimed no more than a
minute or two delay between when they receive the radar data (which
takes 5-6 minutes for a complete sweep, so it could be that old) to
when it hits your receiver. I think he said the outside limit was 5
minutes, i.e. 10 minutes max age. I could be off by a minute or so on
these numbers, but there was no 15 minute delay anywhere...

-Jon C.

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Teacherjh" > wrote in message
> >
> > Great service - I use it too. But it's not real time. The radar
maps are about
> > half an hour old. A lot can happen in half an hour.
> >
> None of the Datalink NEXRAD is going to be any better. They're all
delayed at
> least 15 minutes.

David Levy
August 27th 03, 08:51 PM
My experience has been 15 - 30 minutes.
30 minutes max.

"Teacherjh" > wrote in message

> Check out the Cheap *******s:
>
> http://www.cheap*******software.net/
> <<
>
> Great service - I use it too. But it's not real time. The radar maps are
about
> half an hour old. A lot can happen in half an hour.
>
> Jose
>
> (for Email, make the obvious changes in my address)

Tom S.
August 27th 03, 10:18 PM
"Rich Badaracco" > wrote in message
> I don't know what the state of the art is but I've also been looking for
an
> inexpensive way to get near real-time nexrad while I'm in the cockpit. I
did
> run across a service which provides nexrad images which are no more than 5
> minutes old. Check out this site http://www.flightbrief.com/. AOPA and EAA
> members get it at a rather hefty discount.

They require you to buy a one-month (refundable) membership JUST TO ENTER
THE WEBSITE.

Back to the drawing board.

Rich Badaracco
August 28th 03, 02:14 PM
I agree. For that price I'd sign up in a second.

"JerryK" > wrote in message
> It is definitely a chore trying to get weather in flight. Obviously there
> is a market, but at the current time the solutions appear too expensive or
> have connectivity issues. What we need is something that requires
> $500-$1000 total for hardware and $10 or less a month.
>
> jerry

Tom S.
August 28th 03, 11:54 PM
"JerryK" > wrote in message
> It is definitely a chore trying to get weather in flight. Obviously there
> is a market, but at the current time the solutions appear too expensive or
> have connectivity issues. What we need is something that requires
> $500-$1000 total for hardware and $10 or less a month.

Not while the FAA bureaucracy is in town.

I wonder what the cost difference is between cable and satellite broadcast?

Phil Verghese
September 2nd 03, 04:56 AM
David Megginson > wrote in
:

> The software and actual weather info is free. You need to buy a Palm
> VII (or a Palm V with a wireless modem), and you need a subscription
> with palm.net (for the Palm VII):

The Palm VII is discontinued, but you can get them pretty cheap on eBay.
You could also buy a new Palm i705 (about $160 and much smaller than the
VII) which also works with palm.net. I used it on a recent trip with great
results. Yeah the weather can be up to an hour old, but I use the
information to make big routing changes, not to thread my way through the
cells.

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/palmi705

Be sure to check the coverage map:
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/palmi705/map.html. It's pretty spotty