PDA

View Full Version : Re: sobig.f virus

Tarver Engineering
August 31st 03, 07:34 PM
"Stan Gosnell" > wrote in message
> "G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in
> :
>
> > If you meant to suggest that everyone boycott Outlook Express, I don't
> > know if that would work either. Netscape also has an address book, as
> > does Lotus Notes. I suspect others do too. I don't know if sobig also
> > raids those files, but it shouldn't be difficult for the coder to have
> > it do that. If everyone abandoned OE, the next virus would simply
> > target whatever became the most popular mail program.
>
> But that's much more difficult. Other email programs don't use VBS
> scripting, so you have to know actual programming to target them. With
> Outlook, any 14 year-old can write a virus. All the security patches
> Microsoft can write won't protect you if you use Outlook, there are just
> too many holes as long as VBS is there.

The virus numbers I have received the past couple of weeks is way up. I
installed this new computer on the 13th and have already received 48 virus
warnings from my McAffee enabled snag. I have Norton desktop resident as
well, this being a new machine.

StellaStar
September 2nd 03, 03:54 AM
>> If you meant to suggest that everyone boycott Outlook Express, I don't
>> know if that would work either.

Never got a virus sniffing through my address book in AOL. tee hee hee hee

(revenge of the AOLweenie!)

Google