PDA

View Full Version : Virus Alert: AVflash 8.51a from AVweb

John T
August 31st 03, 11:22 PM
Be aware, I just received an email purporting to be from AVweb with the
subject "AVflash 8.51a". It had an attachment, "Sim1.fpr.scr", that was
infected with the Bugbear worm. The relevant headers are included below.

General advice:
Be very aware of email-borne worms/viruses and **NEVER** launch an
attachment you're not expecting - and be wary of ones you *are* expecting.
Try to get in the habit of saving attachments to your hard drive before
launching them. That should give your anti-virus software a chance of
catching it. (You *do* run updated anti-virus software, right?)

Be safe.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

<quote>
Subject: AVflash 8.51a
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:41:45 -0400

------------3047TK1LQ5MJ7N

AVflash Vol. 8, Issue 51a Monday, December 16, 2002

This issue of AVweb's AVflash is brought to you by GARMIN
International. From takeoff to touchdown, GARMIN is changing
the

------------3047TK1LQ5MJ7N
</quote>

Dylan Smith
August 31st 03, 11:34 PM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:22:06 GMT, John T > wrote:
>General advice:
>Be very aware of email-borne worms/viruses and **NEVER** launch an
>attachment you're not expecting - and be wary of ones you *are* expecting.

On my work network, I bounce any email with Windows executables at
the (non-Windows) MX.
At home, I don't use Windows.

Keeps the email-borne worms away pretty effectively.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Roger Halstead
September 1st 03, 07:48 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:14:04 GMT, Newps > wrote:

>It's very easy. Avflash does not send attachments.

Pratice "Safe Computing" Use a Keyboard condom.

In an industrial environment we used to use form fitting (molded)
latex keyboard covers.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

>John T wrote:
>> Be aware, I just received an email purporting to be from AVweb with the
>> subject "AVflash 8.51a". It had an attachment, "Sim1.fpr.scr", that was
>> infected with the Bugbear worm. The relevant headers are included below.
>>
>> General advice:
>> Be very aware of email-borne worms/viruses and **NEVER** launch an
>> attachment you're not expecting - and be wary of ones you *are* expecting.
>> Try to get in the habit of saving attachments to your hard drive before
>> launching them. That should give your anti-virus software a chance of
>> catching it. (You *do* run updated anti-virus software, right?)
>>
>> Be safe.

Google