PDA

View Full Version : Identifying an intersection with options

Ben Jackson
September 3rd 03, 07:41 AM
The HIO ILS 22 has a hold at COUVE which is defined by the intersection
of three things: the UBG 232, BTG 242 and the LOC. It's also the
UBG 232 @ 21.7 DME.

I was flying this in FS2002 in the 182RG, which only has 1 CDI on
the panel, but it does have a DME you can remote to the second
(invisible, I guess) NAV. So I identified COUVE as 21.7 DME on
the UBG 232 and turned outbound, flipflopped to the LOC for the
hold, but kept the DME on UBG to identify the intersection as
"on the LOC with the UBG DME 21.7".

Would that be legitimate if you were in a real airplane with one
CDI and DME, or are you supposed to flip over to BTG or UBG to
identify the intersection? It occured to me later that it's not
so hard since you can leave the OBS on the radial and the LOC will
still work.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Brad Z
September 3rd 03, 01:14 PM
"Ben Jackson" > wrote in message
> The HIO ILS 22 has a hold at COUVE which is defined by the intersection
> of three things: the UBG 232, BTG 242 and the LOC. It's also the
> UBG 232 @ 21.7 DME.

Actually, the UBG 232 radial does not define the intersection...its just a
transition from the Newburg VOR to the IAF.

> I was flying this in FS2002 in the 182RG, which only has 1 CDI on
> the panel, but it does have a DME you can remote to the second
> (invisible, I guess) NAV. So I identified COUVE as 21.7 DME on
> the UBG 232 and turned outbound, flipflopped to the LOC for the
> hold, but kept the DME on UBG to identify the intersection as
> "on the LOC with the UBG DME 21.7".
>
> Would that be legitimate if you were in a real airplane with one
> CDI and DME, or are you supposed to flip over to BTG or UBG to
> identify the intersection? It occured to me later that it's not
> so hard since you can leave the OBS on the radial and the LOC will
> still work.

That's absolutely legitimate. Often times you will have intersections that
are identified by several means, such as intersections, NDBs, and DME fixes.
As long as you have the equipment to identify the fix somehow, you're good.
A second VOR to crosscheck would be better, but its not required.

> --
> Ben Jackson
> >
> http://www.ben.com/

Bob Gardner
September 3rd 03, 05:59 PM
No such thing as "supposed to." You decide how to use the installed
equipment to your best advantage.

Bob Gardner

"Ben Jackson" > wrote in message
> The HIO ILS 22 has a hold at COUVE which is defined by the intersection
> of three things: the UBG 232, BTG 242 and the LOC. It's also the
> UBG 232 @ 21.7 DME.
>
> I was flying this in FS2002 in the 182RG, which only has 1 CDI on
> the panel, but it does have a DME you can remote to the second
> (invisible, I guess) NAV. So I identified COUVE as 21.7 DME on
> the UBG 232 and turned outbound, flipflopped to the LOC for the
> hold, but kept the DME on UBG to identify the intersection as
> "on the LOC with the UBG DME 21.7".
>
> Would that be legitimate if you were in a real airplane with one
> CDI and DME, or are you supposed to flip over to BTG or UBG to
> identify the intersection? It occured to me later that it's not
> so hard since you can leave the OBS on the radial and the LOC will
> still work.
>
> --
> Ben Jackson
> >
> http://www.ben.com/