PDA

View Full Version : Delays getting into Newark International? Go VFR.

Peter R.
December 24th 05, 04:34 AM
Heard this interesting series of exchanges today while flying down to
Teterboro, NJ. Weather in the NY area was VFR, but I was IFR. For some
reason, arrivals into Newark International were being stacked up in holds
despite the VFR weather.

ATC: Continental XXX, have your hold instructions for Newark, advise when
ready to copy."

Soon thereafter:

ATC: Speedbird XXX Heavy, have your hold instructions for Newark, advise
when ready to copy."

This went on for three more inbound airliners.

Snowshoe XXX (a King Air): "Boston Approach, Snowshoe XXX, level one four
thousand, request direct Newark"

ATC: "Unable, have your hold instructions into Newark, advise when ready to
copy."

Snowshoe XXX: "Boston, Snowshoe would like to amend our destination to
Teterboro."

ATC: "Roger, turn right direct Huogenaut (a VOR on the way but not
directly) at this time."

Snowshoe: "Boston, Snowshoe would like to cancel IFR and go VFR to
Teterboro, request flight following."

ATC: "Roger, cancellation received."

(Both this aircraft and I were soon switched to New York approach.)

Snowshoe: "New York Approach, Snowshoe XXX, level XXX VFR, what are our
chances of getting into Newark VFR today?"

ATC: "Hahahahahahahahaha (he laughed a long time on the frequency, then) I
have several IFR inbounds in holds at the moment, stand-by."

A moment later...

ATC: (somewhat incredulous): "Snowshoe XXX, approved, cleared into the
class Bravo, expect straight in runway 22L into Newark."

I really wanted to congratulate those pilots for the impressive strategy
that got them exactly what they wanted, but I refrained and kept the
frequency clear of banter. A job well done by that crew, IMO.

--
Peter

Lynne
December 24th 05, 08:21 AM
The real question is - did they have current VFR charts onboard? I have
found that most of the time corporate guys are VFR, they do not have
the appropriate charts on the aircraft.

Lynne

Newps
December 24th 05, 04:16 PM
Lynne wrote:
> The real question is - did they have current VFR charts onboard?

Not necessary if they weren't flying jets.

Google