PDA

View Full Version : GPS-Y GPS-Z database question

John Clonts
September 4th 03, 05:52 PM
KIWS (West Houston) has a GPS (RNAV) Y RWY 33 as well as a GPS(RNAV) Z RWY
33. My KLN-94 only shows one of them. Is there a way to tell which one it
is, without just a "mechanical" inspection of all the waypoints, bearings,
etc? Is this a limitation of the KLN-94, or a limitation of the (Jeppesen,
isn't it) database provided to King? Do Garmin products (e.g. 430/530) not
suffer this limitation? BTW, a friend who has Jeppesen plates said there is
a note on one (I don't recall which one) of them "Procedure not in
database".

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

John Clonts
September 4th 03, 09:39 PM
Stan Gosnell > wrote in message
> "John Clonts" > wrote in
> :
>
> > KIWS (West Houston) has a GPS (RNAV) Y RWY 33 as well as a GPS(RNAV) Z
> > RWY 33. My KLN-94 only shows one of them. Is there a way to tell
> > which one it is, without just a "mechanical" inspection of all the
> > waypoints, bearings, etc? Is this a limitation of the KLN-94, or a
> > limitation of the (Jeppesen, isn't it) database provided to King? Do
> > Garmin products (e.g. 430/530) not suffer this limitation? BTW, a
> > friend who has Jeppesen plates said there is a note on one (I don't
> > recall which one) of them "Procedure not in database".
>
> You can tell by the name. Actually, there are 3 GPS approaches to Rwy
33 -
> RNAV (GPS) Y, RNAV (GPS) Z, and VOR DME RNAV Rwy 33. The Z approach is
the
> only one in the database - the other two are noted "Procedure not in
> database". The only one you can fly is the one in the database. Jeppesen
> Briefing Bulletin DEN 00-N explains this. It's way too long to post it
all
> here, but you can find it at http://tinyurl.com/m8wv

Thanks Stan for your reply. I would very much like to read that bulletin,
but I have searched that site for it to no avail. Even Google had nothing
to offer. Are you able to find that bulletin on that site? If so please
give me a URL.

Cheers,
John

September 4th 03, 11:43 PM
John Clonts wrote:

> Thanks Stan for your reply. I would very much like to read that bulletin,
> but I have searched that site for it to no avail. Even Google had nothing
> to offer. Are you able to find that bulletin on that site? If so please
> give me a URL.
>
> Cheers,
> John

This is the only bulletin on the subject that I recall:

http://www.jeppesen.com/download/briefbull/den01-d.pdf

The reason that only one RNAV approach to a runway is in the database is because
the avionics vendors didn't plan ahead. Most of the klunky older airline stuff
cannot handle "X" and "Y" approaches.

Stan Gosnell
September 5th 03, 04:54 AM
"John Clonts" > wrote in
:

> Thanks Stan for your reply. I would very much like to read
> that bulletin, but I have searched that site for it to no
> avail. Even Google had nothing to offer. Are you able to
> find that bulletin on that site? If so please give me a
> URL.

It was there when I posted the URL, but I can't find it now.
Apparently they deleted it. I have it downloaded as a pdf file,
but it's on my computer at home, & I won't be back for a week.
You might see if you can find someone with a Jepp subscription -
anyone who has a subscription should have the bulletin, assuming
they filed it & didn't throw it into the trash.

--
Regards,

Stan

Google