PDA

View Full Version : Gps with voice, "talking" GPS

gyrobob
September 8th 03, 02:11 PM
Does there exist a handheld GPS that talks?

A very nice lady here at work wants to give her hubby a gift for his
retirement, and she knows he likes GPSs, and she knows he likes the
voice feature. So far I have not found one for her that talks. The
only GPSs I know of that talk are permanently installed in cars.

Anyway, someone tell me about a handheld GPS that has a surface
database capability, and a voice.

Thanks,

Bob

JerryK
September 8th 03, 04:45 PM
A number of the car navigators for the IPAQ have voice prompting. I use
Mapopolis (www.mapopolis.com).

I also thought some of the Garmin units, land not aviation, had voice
prompting.

jerry

"gyrobob" > wrote in message
om...
> Does there exist a handheld GPS that talks?
>
> A very nice lady here at work wants to give her hubby a gift for his
> retirement, and she knows he likes GPSs, and she knows he likes the
> voice feature. So far I have not found one for her that talks. The
> only GPSs I know of that talk are permanently installed in cars.
>
> Anyway, someone tell me about a handheld GPS that has a surface
> database capability, and a voice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Bob Gardner
September 8th 03, 05:28 PM
The StreetPilot III in my car talks to me (it is not permanently installed)
but I don't always agree with what it says with regard to routing. I can't
imagine how such a device would work in aviation. It is not unusual for it
to recommend a route that takes me far afield from where I want to go.

Bob Gardner

"gyrobob" > wrote in message
om...
> Does there exist a handheld GPS that talks?
>
> A very nice lady here at work wants to give her hubby a gift for his
> retirement, and she knows he likes GPSs, and she knows he likes the
> voice feature. So far I have not found one for her that talks. The
> only GPSs I know of that talk are permanently installed in cars.
>
> Anyway, someone tell me about a handheld GPS that has a surface
> database capability, and a voice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

gyrobob
September 9th 03, 12:02 AM
I should have mentioned that this won't be used in an aircraft
(probably), just in a car.

Now that we think about it, I wonder if you could put an aviation
database in it. Forget the voice, just used it for VORs,
intersections, airports, etc.

Thanks for the info.

"Bob Gardner" > wrote in message news:<n627b.291206$Oz4.80511@rwcrnsc54>...
> The StreetPilot III in my car talks to me (it is not permanently installed)
> but I don't always agree with what it says with regard to routing. I can't
> imagine how such a device would work in aviation. It is not unusual for it
> to recommend a route that takes me far afield from where I want to go.
>
> Bob Gardner
>
> "gyrobob" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Does there exist a handheld GPS that talks?
> >
> > A very nice lady here at work wants to give her hubby a gift for his
> > retirement, and she knows he likes GPSs, and she knows he likes the
> > voice feature. So far I have not found one for her that talks. The
> > only GPSs I know of that talk are permanently installed in cars.
> >
> > Anyway, someone tell me about a handheld GPS that has a surface
> > database capability, and a voice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob

Craig Davidson
September 9th 03, 12:11 AM
a good place to buy garmin GPS equipment is

www.tvnav.com

I have always had great experiences with them.

Bob Gardner wrote in message ...
>The StreetPilot III in my car talks to me (it is not permanently installed)
>but I don't always agree with what it says with regard to routing. I can't
>imagine how such a device would work in aviation. It is not unusual for it
>to recommend a route that takes me far afield from where I want to go.

>"gyrobob" > wrote in message
>> Does there exist a handheld GPS that talks?

Google