PDA

View Full Version : Flight Checks

Mark Jackson
September 22nd 03, 01:42 PM
Our airport (KAXH Houston-Southwest) had a LOC-DME approach. According to
the airport management, the Feds came in a shut it down because the
equipment was so old that they couldn't test it anymore. New equipment was
ordered and installed, etc. etc. We are now waiting for the FAA to flight
test the approach. It has been a month and the airport people keep saying
"sometime soon."

How long does the flight test process take? Is there any way to check the
status with the FSDO or the like? It has been almost six months that we
haven't had a non-GPS approach. What experiences have others had with the
FAA?

Thks

Mark Jackson

James M. Knox
September 22nd 03, 02:43 PM
"Mark Jackson" > wrote in
:

> New equipment was ordered and installed, etc. etc. We are now waiting
> for the FAA to flight test the approach. It has been a month and the
> airport people keep saying "sometime soon."
>
> How long does the flight test process take? Is there any way to check
> the status with the FSDO or the like?

Well, the flight check only takes about an hour or less. Essentially they
just fly the approach like anyone would, and log the results. They will
usually fly it more than once, however, to check the limits.

The problem is that the FAA only has a couple of planes to do this for the
entire USA. Normally this is enough - they sort of wander across the
country and all of the approaches get rechecked every few years. The
problem in your case is that you don't want to wait for years. {:<(

Unlikely that your FSDO would have any information. I believe that it's
handled out of Oklahoma City. You might give AOPA a call and see if they
can get you a phone number.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

John R. Copeland
September 22nd 03, 09:55 PM
The flight check is rather more than just flying the LOC/DME approach.
They also make multiple cross-cuts through it, too,
checking off-axis performance. But it's no big deal.

You're right about the lead time for scheduling the flight, of course.
---JRC---

"James M. Knox" > wrote in message =
> =20
>=20
> Well, the flight check only takes about an hour or less. Essentially =
they=20
> just fly the approach like anyone would, and log the results. They =
will=20
> usually fly it more than once, however, to check the limits.
>=20
> The problem is that the FAA only has a couple of planes to do this for =
the=20
> entire USA. Normally this is enough - they sort of wander across the=20
> country and all of the approaches get rechecked every few years. The=20
> problem in your case is that you don't want to wait for years. {:<(
>=20

September 22nd 03, 10:44 PM
Check the following link. It gives the telephone number of both tha manager
and assistant manger of the National Flight Inspection Office. They can refer
you to the right field office.

http://avn.faa.gov/accessible.asp?xml=fioo/index

And, they have considerably more than two aircraft.

Mark Jackson wrote:

> Our airport (KAXH Houston-Southwest) had a LOC-DME approach. According to
> the airport management, the Feds came in a shut it down because the
> equipment was so old that they couldn't test it anymore. New equipment was
> ordered and installed, etc. etc. We are now waiting for the FAA to flight
> test the approach. It has been a month and the airport people keep saying
> "sometime soon."
>
> How long does the flight test process take? Is there any way to check the
> status with the FSDO or the like? It has been almost six months that we
> haven't had a non-GPS approach. What experiences have others had with the
> FAA?
>
> Thks
>
> Mark Jackson

Stan Gosnell
September 23rd 03, 01:48 AM
"Mark Jackson" > wrote in
:

> Our airport (KAXH Houston-Southwest) had a LOC-DME
> approach. According to the airport management, the Feds
> came in a shut it down because the equipment was so old
> that they couldn't test it anymore. New equipment was
> ordered and installed, etc. etc. We are now waiting for
> the FAA to flight test the approach. It has been a month
> and the airport people keep saying "sometime soon."
>
> How long does the flight test process take? Is there any
> way to check the status with the FSDO or the like? It has
> been almost six months that we haven't had a non-GPS
> approach. What experiences have others had with the FAA?

We've been waiting for a check for a new GPS approach in
Galveston for a long time, too. Coming in from offshore, we
have to fly way north to come back in on an approach, taking
much longer than necessary.

The good news may be that there's an FAA flight-check aircraft
on the ramp now, staying overnight. Maybe they'll get something
done down here, maybe get AXH too.

--
Regards,

Stan

Tune2828
September 24th 03, 06:39 PM
while taxiing at denver a few in july i heard on united ch 9 a 737 doing
approaches for new runway, -call sign was "flight check"

then yesterday was talking about new runway with news guy at work (i work for
group of radio stations) - he was on board one of the flight check flights with
some other media people as they demonstrated some cat III landings.

he didn't know i was pilot, but probably could have joined him - and i'm
kicking myself i didn't know about it to even ask.

Google