PDA

View Full Version : Printing off Jepp charts: What paper do you use?

Peter R.
January 21st 06, 03:41 AM
Looks like Jeppesen is finally dropping their prices on JeppView and no
longer penalizing for convenience. Thus, over the next week I am going to
switch from the paper Airway Manual and that time-consuming, every two-week
amendment filing service to JeppView.

I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
they were.

For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?

--
Peter

January 21st 06, 02:22 PM
Peter R. wrote:
> Looks like Jeppesen is finally dropping their prices on JeppView and no
> longer penalizing for convenience. Thus, over the next week I am going to
> switch from the paper Airway Manual and that time-consuming, every two-week
> amendment filing service to JeppView.
>
> I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
> Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
> they were.
>
> For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?

I print mine using a laser printer. Or, for some where I feel the color
is important I use my inkjet printer.

The main objective for me is getting the chart on 8.5 x 11 paper. Makes
them a whole lot easier to read.

John R. Copeland
January 21st 06, 06:36 PM
"Peter R." > wrote in message ...

> I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
> Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
> they were.
>
> For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?
> --
> Peter

I use Jeppesen's 7-hole-prepunched paper, for no very good reason.
When I finish my current pack, I think I'll buy a 7-hole punch,
and use ordinary printer paper.
If Jepp sold their high-quality "bible paper", I'd definitely buy it, though.

You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that I'm displeased with the Jepp
software's poor ability to choose which charts print back-to-back.

John Godwin
January 21st 06, 08:20 PM
"John R. Copeland" > wrote in
:

> I use Jeppesen's 7-hole-prepunched paper, for no very good reason.
> When I finish my current pack, I think I'll buy a 7-hole punch,
> and use ordinary printer paper.
> If Jepp sold their high-quality "bible paper", I'd definitely buy it,
> though.
>
> You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that I'm displeased with the Jepp
> software's poor ability to choose which charts print back-to-back.

I purchase Jepp-size paper from Day-Timer <http://www.daytimer.com/> and
stock #20581
Desk White Computer Paper - 200 Sheets
List Price: $15.00

It's a tad pricey although each sheet is two Jepp-size and prepunched for
Jepp Binders. Weight is about 18#

Several years ago, I stopped by Jeppesen in Colorado and they were nice
enough to give me a ream of the actual paper used. Unfortunately, most
computer printers won't handle the paper of such light weight.

Mitty
January 21st 06, 10:03 PM
On 1/21/2006 2:20 PM, John Godwin wrote the following:
> "John R. Copeland" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I use Jeppesen's 7-hole-prepunched paper, for no very good reason.
>> When I finish my current pack, I think I'll buy a 7-hole punch,

FranklinCovey.com sells a very nice "Jepp Punch" for $20. Good quality, steel,
and less bulky than the ones Sporty's and Jepp sell for $50+/-.

I print my plates (NACO) two-up, two sided, then cut the paper in half and punch it.

The FinePrint printer driver
(http://fineprint.com/products/fineprint/benefits.html) is a terrific tool for
this and also for printing PDF manuals into 5.5 x 8.5 booklets. Well worth the
$50 it costs and there is an unlimited free trial period. It works with any app,
so it may be a help with whatever problems there are with printing from the Jepp
software too.

John Godwin
January 22nd 06, 12:40 AM
Errr ... ummm, I didn't say anything about using a 7 hole punch. If
you're going to edit posts, please make it clear who says what.

Mitty > wrote in
:

> On 1/21/2006 2:20 PM, John Godwin wrote the following:
>> "John R. Copeland" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I use Jeppesen's 7-hole-prepunched paper, for no very good
>>> reason. When I finish my current pack, I think I'll buy a 7-hole
>>> punch,

--

Ron Rosenfeld
January 22nd 06, 01:24 AM
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 06:22:57 -0800, wrote:

>Peter R. wrote:
>> Looks like Jeppesen is finally dropping their prices on JeppView and no
>> longer penalizing for convenience. Thus, over the next week I am going to
>> switch from the paper Airway Manual and that time-consuming, every two-week
>> amendment filing service to JeppView.
>>
>> I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
>> Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
>> they were.
>>
>> For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?
>>

>I print mine using a laser printer. Or, for some where I feel the color
> is important I use my inkjet printer.
>
>The main objective for me is getting the chart on 8.5 x 11 paper. Makes
>them a whole lot easier to read.

What's this about lower prices for JeppView?

I just went to their website and the current pricing for my coverages
(Eastern US & Eastern Canada) seems to be $68 higher than what I paid last
October! And yes, I included only the revision services, not the initial
services.

Where did you find lower pricing?

Thanks.

Oh, I use a color laser printer for the charts and have printed both on
Jepp prepunched paper, as well as good quality laser printer white paper
using a 7-hole punch. Either works OK for the charts I print frequently,
but I'm using up the supply of Jepp paper I purchased initially.

When I print a lot of charts for a long trip, I just print it on regular
paper and don't bother to bind it.

Peter R.
January 22nd 06, 06:00 PM
Ron Rosenfeld > wrote:

> Where did you find lower pricing?

As it was explained to me on the phone a couple of days ago, the discounted
price is part of a package deal Jeppesen is now calling the "NAV Suite."

Currently, I purchase Garmin GNS430 updates (28-day cycle over the
Internet), Airway Manual services (Northeast US paper), and FlightStar IFR
updates (three times a year over the Internet) from Jeppeson.

Starting this year, they are now offering a discount pricing scheme called
"Nav Suite" for those who purchase all individual products. Jepp may even
offer a discount for those who purchase a subset of these individual
packages, but I didn't ask.

Call Jeppesen on Monday and ask them about this.

--
Peter

Peter R.
January 22nd 06, 06:02 PM
"John R. Copeland" > wrote:

> You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that I'm displeased with the Jepp
> software's poor ability to choose which charts print back-to-back.

Ok, let me ask :-), could you share any other pros and cons about the
software? I'll be honest that the lack of an ability to print front and
back does not outweigh the time spent filing those once-every-two-week
paper updates. :)

--
Peter

Peter R.
January 22nd 06, 06:03 PM
> wrote:

> The main objective for me is getting the chart on 8.5 x 11 paper. Makes
> them a whole lot easier to read.

Thanks, Tim. I still use a narrow yoke board to hold approach plates in my
Bonanza, so 8.5 x 11 will be too big for that. But, now that I am over 40
I can understand the desire for larger print. :)

--
Peter

John R. Copeland
January 23rd 06, 01:27 AM
"Peter R." > wrote in message ...
> "John R. Copeland" > wrote:
>
>> You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that I'm displeased with the Jepp
>> software's poor ability to choose which charts print back-to-back.
>
> Ok, let me ask :-), could you share any other pros and cons about the
> software? I'll be honest that the lack of an ability to print front and
> back does not outweigh the time spent filing those once-every-two-week
> paper updates. :)
> --
> Peter

Ah. Thanks for asking. :-)

Jeppview will print double-sided on printers which support it.
But the layout of which charts back which others is fairly inflexible.
It's not easy to arrange charts in the same sequence the paper charts use.
But that's not a big deal in my cockpit, where I use an MX20/ChartView.
I'm trying to rely less and less on the paper charts.
It's a difficult habit to break.

January 23rd 06, 02:24 AM
John R. Copeland wrote:

> But that's not a big deal in my cockpit, where I use an MX20/ChartView.
> I'm trying to rely less and less on the paper charts.
> It's a difficult habit to break.

Why is it difficult to break the paper chart "habit" when you have that
cockpit chart display?

Is the display difficult to read compared to paper for the "nitty
gritty?" Or, is the chart scan more difficult than with paper?

I've heard that is a pretty good electronic chart display, but I have
wondered about its position (on the panel as opposed to the electronic
equivalent of a chart holder).

If you're happy with the MX20 ChartView display, then it seems carrying
in 8.5 x 11.0 the print outs of the most critical charts for your
particular operation (and having them accessible, if necessary) would be
more than sufficient.

John R. Copeland
January 23rd 06, 02:44 AM
> wrote in message news:m7XAf.12339$sA3.10798@fed1read02...
> John R. Copeland wrote:
>
>> But that's not a big deal in my cockpit, where I use an MX20/ChartView.
>> I'm trying to rely less and less on the paper charts.
>> It's a difficult habit to break.
>>

> Why is it difficult to break the paper chart "habit" when you have that
> cockpit chart display?

Probably only because it's a 45-year-old habit. :-(
I'm working on it, though.
The enroute charts got relegated early to flight planning only.

The MX20 positioned high in my center panel is *at least* as convenient
as any paper chart holder I've ever used.

Google