PDA

View Full Version : marker beacon

Gary Gunn
October 21st 03, 07:59 PM
How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
not.
Appreciate your input.

Gary Gunn

john smith
October 21st 03, 08:13 PM
Gary Gunn wrote:
> How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
> building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
> not.

Shoot an actual ILS to minimums and you may be glad you have it. Good
aural situational awareness. Good cross reference when you hit a marker,
you know from the approach plate what altitude you should be at.

Ben Jackson
October 21st 03, 08:49 PM
In article >,
Gary Gunn > wrote:
>How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
>building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or

What audio panel were you considering that didn't have an integrated
3LMB?

If anything I think the consideration would be the big honking antenna :)

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

David Megginson
October 21st 03, 08:59 PM
(Gary Gunn) writes:

> How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
> building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
> not.
> Appreciate your input.

In Canada, they are not used at all: the first time I heard mine go
off was when I overflew Albany NY at altitude during a flight in the
U.S. Go to www.myairplane.com and look at the approaches for airports
you might like to visit some day.

Note that you can get an audio panel with the marker beacons built in,
so it's not a big extra cost or a lot of extra panel space.

All the best,

David

Doug
October 22nd 03, 02:06 AM
I fly with a VOR/GS and an IFR GPS, that is it (well radio and xpdr
too). The missed apporach on an ILS is defined by an altitude, NOT the
middle marker. The IFR GPS does not have the middle marker, though it
usually has the outer marker as a waypoint. Legally I do not need it,
operationally I do not need it. But I do sometimes wish I had it, as I
don't get the aural warning at the middle marker while I am looking
for the runway. The middle marker is usually near the missed, even if
it not exactly at it. Bottom line, if you are going to put in a new
audio panel, I would spring for the marker beacons, otherwise no. (It
requires an antennae also, right). This assumes you have an IFR GPS,
of course. If not IFR GPS, you better get marker, although if you are
not planning an IFR GPS, you should change to include one. All you
really need is an IFR GPS and a NAV/COM. And i prefer seperate
instruments so they don't go belly up together.

(Gary Gunn) wrote in message >...
> How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
> building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
> not.
> Appreciate your input.
>
> Gary Gunn

November 3rd 03, 05:20 PM
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:59:15 GMT, David Megginson

(Gary Gunn) writes:

>> How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
>> building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
>> not.
>> Appreciate your input.
>
>In Canada, they are not used at all: the first time I heard mine go
>off was when I overflew Albany NY at altitude during a flight in the
>U.S. Go to www.myairplane.com and look at the approaches for airports
>you might like to visit some day.
>
>Note that you can get an audio panel with the marker beacons built in,
>so it's not a big extra cost or a lot of extra panel space.

There's an experiment to stop runway incursions using the 75MHz Marker
Receivers it so could be an additional incentive.
http://www1.faa.gov/and/and500/520/programs/gm.html
http://68.164.254.131/GM.asp

Anyway the extra cost to have it built into the Audio Panel is only
about $100 + antenna.

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot

Google