PDA

View Full Version : vfr corridors through class B airspace

October 22nd 03, 12:40 AM
Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Stan

Peter R.
October 22nd 03, 01:41 AM
wrote:

<snip>
> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

The Hudson river below 1,100 feet MSL (next to Manhattan, New York City)
and San Diego at 3,500 feet, which takes you right over the San Diego
airport into the San Diego Bay are two very scenic VFR corridors.

--
Peter

'Vejita' S. Cousin
October 22nd 03, 02:17 AM
In article >,
> wrote:
>Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
>top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
>
>And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Not sure about LAX but here in Seattle Class B KSEA has one. Their are
two runways at SEA (16R and 16L, var 20E) and the corridor runs east to
west directly over the center of the runway.
I've never actually used it thou :)

Bob Gardner
October 22nd 03, 04:30 AM
Not exactly the same thing, Vejita...SEA has "transition routes," not
corridors.

Bob Gardner

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> > wrote:
> >Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
> >top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
> >
> >And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
>
> Not sure about LAX but here in Seattle Class B KSEA has one. Their are
> two runways at SEA (16R and 16L, var 20E) and the corridor runs east to
> west directly over the center of the runway.
> I've never actually used it thou :)

Dan Luke
October 22nd 03, 04:41 PM
> wrote:
> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

The Interstate 10 VFR corridor through Houston.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Ron Natalie
October 22nd 03, 05:29 PM
> wrote in message ...
> Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
> top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
>
> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Not that are Special Flight Rules. A lot of class B's that are formed from
overlaps of multiple primary airports have area that is just excluded (without
restriction) from the class B. An example is NY where there is a tunnel
down the Hudson (the chart does have some notations about traffic advisories)
and DC which has two tunnels (one between IAD and DCA, which unfortunately
is now eaten up by the stupid-assed no-fly zone and one between DCA and BWI
which is only partially eaten, but inside the ADIZ). Several others have sort of
notches cut out of their edges for non-Class B transition.

Jeff
October 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
They are VFR transition routes, you still need to contact LAX prior to
entering and so forth, I have the LA terminal chart that shows the route
and gives the procedures for using it. But you just cant go fly the
route, you need permission first.

wrote:

> Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
> top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
>
> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
>
> Stan

Craig Prouse
October 23rd 03, 12:22 AM
Jeff wrote:

> They are VFR transition routes, you still need to contact LAX prior to
> entering and so forth, I have the LA terminal chart that shows the route
> and gives the procedures for using it. But you just cant go fly the
> route, you need permission first.

Those are different routes altogether. The SFRA passes directly over LAX
between Santa Monica and Long Beach. It does not require ATC approval or
even ATC contact. You're right, however, that the LA TAC shows the route
and gives the procedures for using it. In fact you have to have the TAC in
your possession legally to fly the route.

vincent p. norris
October 23rd 03, 12:29 AM
>And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

A low-altitude N-S corrider midway between Dulles and DCA.

Not necessary to talk to anyone, but I ask for traffic advisories.

vince norris

October 23rd 03, 12:46 AM
Jeff, vfr transition routes are different than vfr corridors through
class B airspace. No permission required, but in LAX there are
procedures that must be followed, eg speed, transponder code etc. I
presume that's why its designated special flight rules airspace. It's
in the aim.
Stan

wrote:

>> Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
>> top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
>>
>> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
>>
>> Stan

Ron Natalie
October 23rd 03, 01:01 AM
"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message ...
> >And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
>
> A low-altitude N-S corrider midway between Dulles and DCA.

This has been closed since 9/11.

> Not necessary to talk to anyone, but I ask for traffic advisories.

You better keep an eye out for F-16's.

Jay Somerset
October 23rd 03, 02:03 AM
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:29:35 -0400, vincent p. norris > wrote:

> >And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
>
> A low-altitude N-S corrider midway between Dulles and DCA.
>
> Not necessary to talk to anyone, but I ask for traffic advisories.
>
> vince norris

Kind of academic now, with the SFR zone and the DC ADIZ.

Jeff
October 23rd 03, 07:39 AM
Looks like your correct, I just looked up the san diego class B and it shows
the vfr corridor. I am surprised a busy area like san diego allows it.

wrote:

> Jeff, vfr transition routes are different than vfr corridors through
> class B airspace. No permission required, but in LAX there are
> procedures that must be followed, eg speed, transponder code etc. I
> presume that's why its designated special flight rules airspace. It's
> in the aim.
> Stan
>
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:04:26 -0700, Jeff > wrote:
>
> >They are VFR transition routes, you still need to contact LAX prior to
> >entering and so forth, I have the LA terminal chart that shows the route
> >and gives the procedures for using it. But you just cant go fly the
> >route, you need permission first.
> >
> wrote:
> >
> >> Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
> >> top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
> >>
> >> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
> >>
> >> Stan

October 24th 03, 12:32 AM
But I don't think these are true "vfr corridors". The aim 3.5.5.b
describes corridors as "a hole through class b airspace", and shows
such in figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001 aim). LAX is just this way.
From what I see of dca area from March 2002 jepp chart, these two
corridors are "under" class b, not "through". Same for Houston, which
I have Jul 1999 Jepp info.

It appears LAX has the only true vfr corridor, unless someone has
other examples
Stan

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:29:38 -0400, "Ron Natalie" >
wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>> Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
>> top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
>>
>> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
>>
>Not that are Special Flight Rules. A lot of class B's that are formed from
>overlaps of multiple primary airports have area that is just excluded (without
>restriction) from the class B. An example is NY where there is a tunnel
>down the Hudson (the chart does have some notations about traffic advisories)
>and DC which has two tunnels (one between IAD and DCA, which unfortunately
>is now eaten up by the stupid-assed no-fly zone and one between DCA and BWI
>which is only partially eaten, but inside the ADIZ). Several others have sort of
>notches cut out of their edges for non-Class B transition.

October 24th 03, 12:34 AM
I don't have the san diego info, but is this really a vfr corridor, or
just airpace below class B? A vfr corridor goes "throught" class B,
as in a hole, see aim 3-5-5-b, and figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001
aim)
Stan

wrote:

>> Jeff, vfr transition routes are different than vfr corridors through
>> class B airspace. No permission required, but in LAX there are
>> procedures that must be followed, eg speed, transponder code etc. I
>> presume that's why its designated special flight rules airspace. It's
>> in the aim.
>> Stan
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:04:26 -0700, Jeff > wrote:
>>
>> >They are VFR transition routes, you still need to contact LAX prior to
>> >entering and so forth, I have the LA terminal chart that shows the route
>> >and gives the procedures for using it. But you just cant go fly the
>> >route, you need permission first.

vincent p. norris
October 24th 03, 12:37 AM
>> A low-altitude N-S corrider midway between Dulles and DCA.
>
>This has been closed since 9/11.

Yeah, Ron, I'd heard that but forgot to mention it. Getting more
senile every day.

vince norris

Peter R.
October 24th 03, 03:44 AM
wrote:

> I don't have the san diego info, but is this really a vfr corridor, or
> just airpace below class B? A vfr corridor goes "throught" class B,
> as in a hole, see aim 3-5-5-b, and figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001
> aim)

It's a VFR corridor. Starts at 3,300 and tops out at 4,700 feet,
essentially a hole right through San Diego's class B airspace, north to
south and vise-versa.

--
Peter

Craig Prouse
October 24th 03, 04:05 AM
wrote:

> I don't have the san diego info, but is this really a vfr corridor, or
> just airpace below class B? A vfr corridor goes "throught" class B,
> as in a hole, see aim 3-5-5-b, and figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001
> aim)
> Stan

I don't think so. I think Jeff is pretty confused about the distinctions
between VFR corridors (special ways through Class B without a clearance),
VFR flyways (preferred ways under and around Class B, published for many
Class B areas), and VFR transition routes (preferred ways through Class B
with a clearance).

Peter R.
October 24th 03, 04:23 AM
Craig Prouse wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > I don't have the san diego info, but is this really a vfr corridor, or
> > just airpace below class B? A vfr corridor goes "throught" class B,
> > as in a hole, see aim 3-5-5-b, and figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001
> > aim)
> > Stan
>
> I don't think so. I think Jeff is pretty confused about the distinctions
> between VFR corridors (special ways through Class B without a clearance),
> VFR flyways (preferred ways under and around Class B, published for many
> Class B areas), and VFR transition routes (preferred ways through Class B
> with a clearance).

The San Diego VFR corridor is labeled as such on the San Diego TAC.
Additionally, San Diego Approach refers to it as a VFR corridor, at
least when I was flying to it last March, and no clearance is/was
required into it.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... :)

--
Peter

Craig Prouse
October 24th 03, 05:07 AM
"Peter R." wrote:

> The San Diego VFR corridor is labeled as such on the San Diego TAC.
> Additionally, San Diego Approach refers to it as a VFR corridor, at
> least when I was flying to it last March, and no clearance is/was
> required into it.
>
> If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... :)

Sometimes I'm wrong, and when I do it, I do it right.

Jeff
October 24th 03, 08:15 AM
Yup, it really is a VFR corridor I am looking at it right now in the Jeppesen
JeppGuide.
They have a nice picture of it and everything.

wrote:

> I don't have the san diego info, but is this really a vfr corridor, or
> just airpace below class B? A vfr corridor goes "throught" class B,
> as in a hole, see aim 3-5-5-b, and figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001
> aim)
> Stan
>
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:39:47 -0700, Jeff > wrote:
>
> >Looks like your correct, I just looked up the san diego class B and it shows
> >the vfr corridor. I am surprised a busy area like san diego allows it.
> >

> wrote:
> >
> >> Jeff, vfr transition routes are different than vfr corridors through
> >> class B airspace. No permission required, but in LAX there are
> >> procedures that must be followed, eg speed, transponder code etc. I
> >> presume that's why its designated special flight rules airspace. It's
> >> in the aim.
> >> Stan

Jeff
October 24th 03, 08:17 AM
No, I dont think I am confused.
It says in big letters, "VFR Corridor Procedures - San Diego Class B
Airspace"
So what do you think - Do you think it may be the VFR corridor?

Craig Prouse wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > I don't have the san diego info, but is this really a vfr corridor, or
> > just airpace below class B? A vfr corridor goes "throught" class B,
> > as in a hole, see aim 3-5-5-b, and figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001
> > aim)
> > Stan
>
> I don't think so. I think Jeff is pretty confused about the distinctions
> between VFR corridors (special ways through Class B without a clearance),
> VFR flyways (preferred ways under and around Class B, published for many
> Class B areas), and VFR transition routes (preferred ways through Class B
> with a clearance).

Jeff
October 24th 03, 08:29 AM
This is actually the real deal, I was surprised san diego had one.
I dont usually pull out my books but had to on this one because I was
curious, I dont usually fly through class B airspace, I fly over it. Only
when I have to land at an airport inside class B will I mess with it and
then I dont look for transition routes or anything.
Los Angeles area (LAX) has a Special flight rules route for VFR traffic,
its not listed as a "VFR corridor" but as SFRA and reads the same as a
vfr corridor, no contact with approach needed, goes right over the top
of LAX. the Jeppguide gives you the squak code and such for the route.

Craig Prouse wrote:

> "Peter R." wrote:
>
> > The San Diego VFR corridor is labeled as such on the San Diego TAC.
> > Additionally, San Diego Approach refers to it as a VFR corridor, at
> > least when I was flying to it last March, and no clearance is/was
> > required into it.
> >
> > If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... :)
>
> Sometimes I'm wrong, and when I do it, I do it right.

Jeff
October 24th 03, 08:33 AM
LAX's is called a "Special Flight Rules Area", not a VFR corridor, some parts of the SFRA require
ATC comminucation, the one over the top of LAX does not. This is per my current JeppGuide.
San Diego specifically says VFR corridor.

wrote:

> But I don't think these are true "vfr corridors". The aim 3.5.5.b
> describes corridors as "a hole through class b airspace", and shows
> such in figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001 aim). LAX is just this way.
> From what I see of dca area from March 2002 jepp chart, these two
> corridors are "under" class b, not "through". Same for Houston, which
> I have Jul 1999 Jepp info.
>
> It appears LAX has the only true vfr corridor, unless someone has
> other examples
> Stan
>
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:29:38 -0400, "Ron Natalie" >
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message ...
> >> Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
> >> top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?
> >>
> >> And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?
> >>
> >Not that are Special Flight Rules. A lot of class B's that are formed from
> >overlaps of multiple primary airports have area that is just excluded (without
> >restriction) from the class B. An example is NY where there is a tunnel
> >down the Hudson (the chart does have some notations about traffic advisories)
> >and DC which has two tunnels (one between IAD and DCA, which unfortunately
> >is now eaten up by the stupid-assed no-fly zone and one between DCA and BWI
> >which is only partially eaten, but inside the ADIZ). Several others have sort of
> >notches cut out of their edges for non-Class B transition.

Peter R.
October 25th 03, 02:25 AM
Craig Prouse wrote:

> "Peter R." wrote:
>
> > The San Diego VFR corridor is labeled as such on the San Diego TAC.
> > Additionally, San Diego Approach refers to it as a VFR corridor, at
> > least when I was flying to it last March, and no clearance is/was
> > required into it.
> >
> > If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... :)
>
> Sometimes I'm wrong, and when I do it, I do it right.

I certainly know the feeling!

--
Peter

October 30th 03, 11:43 AM
No, I don't think Jeff is confused. He was one of the few who knew
exaclty what a vfr corridor was.
At any rate, San Diego and LAX class B's seem to be the only ones with
a vfr corridor, although it was argued that since the corridor in LAX
is a special flight rules area, it may not count as a true vfr
corridor.

This should put the thread to rest
Stan

>Craig Prouse wrote:
>

>> I don't think so. I think Jeff is pretty confused about the distinctions
>> between VFR corridors (special ways through Class B without a clearance),
>> VFR flyways (preferred ways under and around Class B, published for many
>> Class B areas), and VFR transition routes (preferred ways through Class B
>> with a clearance).

Greg
November 2nd 03, 11:28 PM
Denver VFR corridor on the west; Northbound recommended slightly west I-25
at 7500', Southbound about 5 miles west (roughly BJC 350/170 radials) at
8500'.
> wrote in message
> No, I don't think Jeff is confused. He was one of the few who knew
> exaclty what a vfr corridor was.
> At any rate, San Diego and LAX class B's seem to be the only ones with
> a vfr corridor, although it was argued that since the corridor in LAX
> is a special flight rules area, it may not count as a true vfr
> corridor.
>
> This should put the thread to rest
> Stan
>

> >Craig Prouse wrote:
> >

> >> I don't think so. I think Jeff is pretty confused about the
distinctions
> >> between VFR corridors (special ways through Class B without a
clearance),
> >> VFR flyways (preferred ways under and around Class B, published for
many
> >> Class B areas), and VFR transition routes (preferred ways through Class
> >> with a clearance).

Google