PDA

View Full Version : Question about Question 4488

October 26th 03, 03:58 PM
I'm having some trouble with question 4488.
In the Insturment rating exam

Text:(Refer to figures 85 and 86) Which combination of indications
confirm that you are approaching WAGGE intersection slightly to the
right of the LOC centerline on departure?

A 1 and 3 <-My answer
B 1 and 4
C 2 and 3 <-Book answer

I read this question as right of centerline from the airplane
perspective.

Since this is a departure procedure you will be flying the
localizer outbound. (back course) So localizer indications should be
reversed.

If you are right of course the localizer needle will point to the
right. (Back course)

However the answer book says thats wrong.

It says the loc needle should point to the left.

There are one of three possible explainations:
1)I'm lost, possible but I don't think so.

2)They mean to the "Right" not of course but of the depicition
of the course on the printed page.

3)The words (fine print next to the localizer depiction)
"Back Course" refer to the localizer inblound to the airport
direction, or to the direction that you are flying the
localizer for this procedure?

The chart does not have the shading on the localizer, which would
resolve the front course back course issues

In general this WASHOE TWO Departure seems to be confusing from the
front course backcourse perspective unless you also have the approach
plate in hand to resolve the actal direction of the localizer..

Thoughts or comments?

Bob Gardner
October 26th 03, 05:29 PM
Needle deflection as you fly outbound on the back course are the same as
those seen inbound on the front course...if you are right of course, the
needle deflects to the left. The rule on intersections is: If the needle is
on the same side as the station, you aren't there yet. So answer C is
correct. Your problem is that you think needle deflections change as you fly
over the localizer antenna, and this is just plain wrong.

Bob Gardner

> wrote in message
> I'm having some trouble with question 4488.
> In the Insturment rating exam
>
> Text:(Refer to figures 85 and 86) Which combination of indications
> confirm that you are approaching WAGGE intersection slightly to the
> right of the LOC centerline on departure?
>
> A 1 and 3 <-My answer
> B 1 and 4
> C 2 and 3 <-Book answer
>

> I read this question as right of centerline from the airplane
> perspective.
>
> Since this is a departure procedure you will be flying the
> localizer outbound. (back course) So localizer indications should be
> reversed.
>
> If you are right of course the localizer needle will point to the
> right. (Back course)
>
> However the answer book says thats wrong.
>
> It says the loc needle should point to the left.
>
> There are one of three possible explainations:
> 1)I'm lost, possible but I don't think so.
>
> 2)They mean to the "Right" not of course but of the depicition
> of the course on the printed page.
>
> 3)The words (fine print next to the localizer depiction)
> "Back Course" refer to the localizer inblound to the airport
> direction, or to the direction that you are flying the
> localizer for this procedure?
>
> The chart does not have the shading on the localizer, which would
> resolve the front course back course issues
>
> In general this WASHOE TWO Departure seems to be confusing from the
> front course backcourse perspective unless you also have the approach
> plate in hand to resolve the actal direction of the localizer..
>
> Thoughts or comments?

Roy Smith
October 26th 03, 06:15 PM
"Bob Gardner" > wrote:
> The rule on intersections is: If the needle is
> on the same side as the station, you aren't there yet.

I learned that as the easy to remember phrase, "Same Side, Safe".

Snowbird
October 27th 03, 01:26 AM
wrote in message >...

> Since this is a departure procedure you will be flying the
> localizer outbound. (back course) So localizer indications should be
> reversed.

Negative. Localizer outbound (ie in same direction as loc
approach, but on the other side of the localizer antenna)
normal indications. It's the direction you're headed which
governs whether you get normal or "reverse" sensing, not
your location relative to the loc antenna.

For the intersection, remember "same side safe". If the
VOR is to the left, and the needle is deflected left,
you haven't gotten there yet.

HTH,
Sydney

Google