PDA

View Full Version : Current Pilots and/or CFI's -- FAR/AIM

JBoDEAN
October 28th 03, 05:02 PM
Just curious.

What brand FAR/AIM do you prefer? I've been using ASA's and debating
on trying something new for the 2004 edition. I know Gleim, ASA, Jepp
all have their FAR/AIM.

The other CFI's I work with here use the Jepp (book version, not the
subscription).

C J Campbell
October 28th 03, 05:25 PM
I prefer the two column format of the ASA version.

Ron Natalie
October 28th 03, 05:32 PM
"JBoDEAN" > wrote in message om...

> What brand FAR/AIM do you prefer?

I use an electronic version from Summitt Aviation. Comes on a CDROM (which I load
on to my harddisk) with not only the full set of FAR's (those books are usually just
part 1, 61, and 91), the AIM, plus all the advisory ciruclars, PTS's, etc...

In the past, I had used the Jepp ones. I never cared for ASA's typography (just
as ugly as the original printed format from the FAA). Jepp at least made it legible.

Of course you can always get it online straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak):
http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/infoforpilotsowners/

Casey Wilson
October 28th 03, 09:43 PM
"JBoDEAN" > wrote in message
om...
> Just curious.
>
> What brand FAR/AIM do you prefer? I've been using ASA's and debating
> on trying something new for the 2004 edition. I know Gleim, ASA, Jepp
> all have their FAR/AIM.
>
> The other CFI's I work with here use the Jepp (book version, not the
> subscription).

The ASA version does me just fine. I also have the CD that came with the
Cessna instrument training sylabus... I like the ASA better, unless I'm
doing a broad search for multiple locations of a common term.

Peter MacPherson
October 28th 03, 10:08 PM
I prefer ASA.

"JBoDEAN" > wrote in message
om...
> Just curious.
>
> What brand FAR/AIM do you prefer? I've been using ASA's and debating
> on trying something new for the 2004 edition. I know Gleim, ASA, Jepp
> all have their FAR/AIM.
>
> The other CFI's I work with here use the Jepp (book version, not the
> subscription).

Matthew Waugh
October 29th 03, 10:58 AM
I prefer Gleim - I think it has a better index (although not better than the
Summit CD :-)

Mat

--
Matthew Waugh
Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI

"JBoDEAN" > wrote in message
om...
> Just curious.
>
> What brand FAR/AIM do you prefer? I've been using ASA's and debating
> on trying something new for the 2004 edition. I know Gleim, ASA, Jepp
> all have their FAR/AIM.
>
> The other CFI's I work with here use the Jepp (book version, not the
> subscription).

JBoDEAN
October 29th 03, 04:06 PM
"Peter MacPherson" > wrote in message news:<bNBnb.40224$ao4.85139@attbi_s51>...
> I prefer ASA.
>
> "JBoDEAN" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Just curious.
> >
> > What brand FAR/AIM do you prefer? I've been using ASA's and debating
> > on trying something new for the 2004 edition. I know Gleim, ASA, Jepp
> > all have their FAR/AIM.
> >
> > The other CFI's I work with here use the Jepp (book version, not the
> > subscription).

The summit cd is great. BUT, it doesnt help when you have the cd at
home, and at the airport, and need to show a student in a book where
the regs are. Not all students buy that cd. Its nice to have for
personal use though.

Ron Natalie
October 29th 03, 04:58 PM
"JBoDEAN" > wrote in message m...

> The summit cd is great. BUT, it doesnt help when you have the cd at
> home, and at the airport,

We have computers at my airport :-)

Hilton
October 30th 03, 06:04 AM
JBoDEAN wrote:

> The summit cd is great. BUT, it doesnt help when you have the cd at
> home, and at the airport, and need to show a student in a book where
> the regs are. Not all students buy that cd. Its nice to have for
> personal use though.

Take a look at WingX at http://www.hiltonsoftware.com - the annimated GIF at
the bottom of the page should give you an idea of its ease of use. You can
view the FARs on your PDA at home, at your airport, or any other airport.
Plus, if the FARs are updated, you can update your database within a few
seconds wirelessly, via modem, DSL, or whatever Internet connection you
have - you don't even need to turn on your PC. It takes just 3 clicks.

Hilton

Google