PDA

View Full Version : NACO chart question

Steve Mahoney
November 21st 03, 03:56 AM
In my limited IFR flying.. I have always used Jepp charts. (They seemed much
easier to read and use) The cost difference and their availability on the
web has caused me to seriously considered switching to NACO.
After reviewing these again (NACO) they seem much improved over the old
days... however, I cannot find the departure procedures for the non SID
airports, Jepp always printed it on the approach plates....where to look? or
are they listed differently?

Bob Gardner
November 21st 03, 05:47 AM
They are in the Airport/Facility Directory...another $4.50.

Bob Gardner

"Steve Mahoney" > wrote in message
> In my limited IFR flying.. I have always used Jepp charts. (They seemed
much
> easier to read and use) The cost difference and their availability on the
> web has caused me to seriously considered switching to NACO.
> After reviewing these again (NACO) they seem much improved over the old
> days... however, I cannot find the departure procedures for the non SID
> airports, Jepp always printed it on the approach plates....where to look?
or
> are they listed differently?

Craig Prouse
November 21st 03, 07:02 AM
"Steve Mahoney" wrote:

> I cannot find the departure procedures for the non SID
> airports, Jepp always printed it on the approach plates....where to look? or
> are they listed differently?

Obstacle departure procedures are published along with takeoff minimums in a
brief chapter near the very beginning of the volume. They're pretty easy to
find in the paper version, but if you're trying to look them up online (at
the AOPA site for example) they are extremely painful to locate because they
are not indexed in any meaningful way.

Craig Prouse
November 21st 03, 07:04 AM
"Bob Gardner" wrote:

> They are in the Airport/Facility Directory...another $4.50.

Preferred routes, yes. IFR departure procedures?

November 21st 03, 12:28 PM
Bob Gardner wrote:

> They are in the Airport/Facility Directory...another $4.50.

That is incorrect. If there is a "T" on the approach chart they are listed in
the front of the approach chart book. If there is no "T" takeoff minimums are
standard and diverse obstacle departures are authorized (once reaching 400
feet).

November 21st 03, 12:29 PM
Craig Prouse wrote:

> "Steve Mahoney" wrote:
>
> > I cannot find the departure procedures for the non SID
> > airports, Jepp always printed it on the approach plates....where to look? or
> > are they listed differently?
>
> Obstacle departure procedures are published along with takeoff minimums in a
> brief chapter near the very beginning of the volume. They're pretty easy to
> find in the paper version, but if you're trying to look them up online (at
> the AOPA site for example) they are extremely painful to locate because they
> are not indexed in any meaningful way.

Not to mention that too many on-line NACO approach charts are poor quality
reproductions of the original paper.

John Mireley
November 21st 03, 02:56 PM
wrote:

> Not to mention that too many on-line NACO approach charts are poor quality
> reproductions of the original paper.

Which prompts the question, why aren't these charts available in the
original pdf format? The airport diagrams and the military base approach
charts are in pdf format. Why aren't the NACO charts?

Ron Natalie
November 21st 03, 04:18 PM
> Which prompts the question, why aren't these charts available in the
> original pdf format? The airport diagrams and the military base approach
> charts are in pdf format. Why aren't the NACO charts?

Who says they are in PDF format originally?
The question is really "Why doesn't the FAA convert them to PDF?"

Bob Gardner
November 21st 03, 05:55 PM
You and airperson are oh so right. I blew it.

Bob

"Craig Prouse" > wrote in message
> "Bob Gardner" wrote:
>
> > They are in the Airport/Facility Directory...another $4.50.
>
> Preferred routes, yes. IFR departure procedures?

November 22nd 03, 09:53 AM
John Mireley wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > Not to mention that too many on-line NACO approach charts are poor quality
> > reproductions of the original paper.
> >

> Which prompts the question, why aren't these charts available in the
> original pdf format? The airport diagrams and the military base approach
> charts are in pdf format. Why aren't the NACO charts?

By that you mean in vector-graphics PDF format, which gives you unblemished
quality limited only by the resolution of your display or printer.

NACO has a high percentage of their approach charts in vector-graphics format in
PDF files. The last I heard is over 70%. When they get to 100 percent will
they then release them in that format? If they do, I suspect their sales will
drop to near zero. ;-)

If you go to the NIMA site you can see some NIMA approach charts already in that
format. They are outstanding, and every bit as good as JeppView except for the
lack of color.

John Mireley
November 24th 03, 07:42 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
>>Which prompts the question, why aren't these charts available in the
>>original pdf format? The airport diagrams and the military base approach
>>charts are in pdf format. Why aren't the NACO charts?
>

> Who says they are in PDF format originally?
> The question is really "Why doesn't the FAA convert them to PDF?"

Here is a link to the airport diagrams in pdf format.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/ap_diagrams_acc.asp?search=lan&stateSearch=&select=&submit1=Search

Here is a link to the approach plates for airports that
have military installations.

https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/terminals/V0311/UNITED_STATES/

Here is a specific 'copter' approach.

https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/terminals/V0311/UNITED_STATES/abrams_muni__4d0/coptor_vor_345.pdf

Pretty nice, hey?

I figured if they've done these they most have done them all.

Ron Natalie
November 24th 03, 07:46 PM
"John Mireley" > wrote in message ...

> I figured if they've done these they most have done them all.

Incorrect assumption.

John Mireley
November 24th 03, 09:13 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> "John Mireley" > wrote in message ...
>

>>I figured if they've done these they most have done them all.
>>

> Incorrect assumption.

Why would such a large subset be done and not the rest?

Ron Natalie
November 24th 03, 09:45 PM
"John Mireley" > wrote in message ...
> Ron Natalie wrote:
> > "John Mireley" > wrote in message ...
> >

> >>I figured if they've done these they most have done them all.
> >>

> > Incorrect assumption.
> >

> Why would such a large subset be done and not the rest?

Because they evidentally haven't done them all. PDF isn't an
"original" format for anything.

Jonathan
November 25th 03, 01:02 AM
I've found more of the JEPP airport diagrams at airnav.com than anywhere.
For instance, I just flew to Hyannis, MA (HYA). Couldnt find an ap diagram
on aopa, or naco. Airnav was only place I could find it.
-Jonathan

"John Mireley" > wrote in message
> Ron Natalie wrote:
> > "John Mireley" > wrote in message
> >

> >>I figured if they've done these they most have done them all.
> >>

> > Incorrect assumption.
> >

> Why would such a large subset be done and not the rest?

Google