PDA

View Full Version : Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost

Jon Woellhaf
November 25th 03, 05:50 PM
Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
present in many of their GPSs.

I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I noticed
today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing to
detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and update
all routes and goto history with the new data."

I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40 actually
pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed today.

The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and appears
to point to the correct update.

Jon

Dave Butler
November 25th 03, 07:11 PM
Jon Woellhaf wrote:
> Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
> the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
> present in many of their GPSs.
>
> I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I noticed
> today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
> description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing to
> detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and update
> all routes and goto history with the new data."
>
> I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
> tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40 actually
> pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed today.
>
> The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and appears
> to point to the correct update.

Cool, Jon, thanks for the notification! This newsgroup can take a lot of the
credit for getting this fixed. John Bell picked up my report on the newsgroup
and documented it in a way that Garmin couldn't ignore. Thanks to all who
contributed to this effort!

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Jon Woellhaf
November 25th 03, 10:05 PM
The link to the version 2.40 update for the GPSMAP 295 now works properly.

"Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in message
> Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
> the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
> present in many of their GPSs.
>
> I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I
noticed
> today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
> description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing
> detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and
update
> all routes and goto history with the new data."
>
> I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
> tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40
actually
> pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed
today.

> The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and
appears
> to point to the correct update.
>
> Jon

November 26th 03, 02:04 AM
Kudos to all of you!

Dave Butler wrote:

> Jon Woellhaf wrote:
> > Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
> > the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
> > present in many of their GPSs.
> >
> > I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I noticed
> > today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
> > description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing to
> > detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and update
> > all routes and goto history with the new data."
> >
> > I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
> > tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40 actually
> > pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed today.
> >
> > The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and appears
> > to point to the correct update.
>
> Cool, Jon, thanks for the notification! This newsgroup can take a lot of the
> credit for getting this fixed. John Bell picked up my report on the newsgroup
> and documented it in a way that Garmin couldn't ignore. Thanks to all who
> contributed to this effort!
>
> Dave
> Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Blanche
November 26th 03, 04:34 PM
Interesting. But I don't see how changing the software solves the
problem. Updating the database certainly would. Or am I missing
something here?

Dave Butler
November 26th 03, 04:46 PM
Blanche wrote:
> Interesting. But I don't see how changing the software solves the
> problem. Updating the database certainly would. Or am I missing
> something here?

Yes, what you are missing is that there is a bug in the datbase updating
process, when a fix is moved between database updates, and the GPS receiver has
a stored route that contains that fix. Do a search at groups.google.com for "Who
moved SAV, forgot to tell Jepp?"

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.
Dave

Andrew Gideon
November 28th 03, 05:29 PM
Dave Butler wrote:

> Yes, what you are missing is that there is a bug in the datbase updating
> process, when a fix is moved between database updates, and the GPS
> receiver has a stored route that contains that fix. Do a search at
> groups.google.com for "Who moved SAV, forgot to tell Jepp?"

Hmm. I hope that they flag flight plans altered by moving waypoints. It
could render a flight plan "wrong" from the pilot's perspective...or at
least cause one to consider using a different waypoint.

Yes, one would pick that up when loading the flight plan. But it would be
nice to have a list of impacted flight plans ahead of time.

- Andrew

Google