PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone ID this engine?

Flyingmonk
March 11th 06, 04:45 PM
http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg

>From a down aircraft in Cambodia?

The Monk

Michael Ware
March 11th 06, 07:34 PM
What do you call that, a VV-6 ? I wonder which way it was mounted on the
A/C.

"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>
> >From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>
> The Monk

Montblack
March 11th 06, 07:57 PM
("Flyingmonk" wrote)
>From a down aircraft in Cambodia?

http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg

2 + 2 + 2 cylinder engine?
45 degree + 45 degree + 45 degree?

What is it?

Montblack
Monk posted this engine link over in RAP.

JKimmel
March 12th 06, 12:03 AM
Montblack wrote:
> ("Flyingmonk" wrote)
>
>> From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>

> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>
> 2 + 2 + 2 cylinder engine?
> 45 degree + 45 degree + 45 degree?
>
> What is it?
>

> Montblack
> Monk posted this engine link over in RAP.

Looks like an air compressor.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

March 12th 06, 02:10 AM
Do a Google Images search on "Anzani Engine" to see some similar
configurations. I did not see a 6-cylinder
of this type, but there is a 3-cylinder (among other oddities like 6
and 10 cylinder radials).

David Johnson

jerry wass
March 12th 06, 03:08 AM
JKimmel wrote:
> Montblack wrote:
>
>> ("Flyingmonk" wrote)
>>
>>> From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>>

>> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>>
>> 2 + 2 + 2 cylinder engine?
>> 45 degree + 45 degree + 45 degree?
>>
>> What is it?
>>

>> Montblack
>> Monk posted this engine link over in RAP.
>

> Looks like an air compressor.

My thoughts exactly---one bank looks smaller than the others--but that
might be the viewpoint--Incidentally, there were quite a few "W"
configured engines made just after WW-I ---Jerry

p.jarnbak
March 12th 06, 09:24 AM
"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>
>>From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>
> The Monk

Looks like a half Napier Lion w-12 engine.
palle

Greg Farris
March 12th 06, 10:02 AM
In article >, says...

>> Looks like an air compressor.
>>
>My thoughts exactly---one bank looks smaller than the others--but that
>might be the viewpoint--

They look the same to me . . .
Wonder what the crank looks like - 3 main bearings?

GF

JP
March 12th 06, 12:01 PM
What you have in the picture, seems to be a French Lorraine 12 Ed aircraft
engine, circa year 1922. It is a liquid-cooled W-type engine (yes, 60+60=120
degrees most probably), but instead of 6-cylinder configuration, it's a
12-cylinder layout (believe or not). Capacity 24,4 litres, dry weight 425
kg. Power output 450 hp.

Check out this link. It has a picture of the engine.

http://www.planes-and-tanks.com/EngineShop/lorraine.htm

"Montblack" > kirjoitti
> ("Flyingmonk" wrote)
>>From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>

> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>
> 2 + 2 + 2 cylinder engine?
> 45 degree + 45 degree + 45 degree?
>
> What is it?
>

> Montblack
> Monk posted this engine link over in RAP.

.Blueskies.
March 12th 06, 03:24 PM
Yes, that's it...

"JP" > wrote in message ...
> What you have in the picture, seems to be a French Lorraine 12 Ed aircraft
> engine, circa year 1922. It is a liquid-cooled W-type engine (yes, 60+60=120
> degrees most probably), but instead of 6-cylinder configuration, it's a
> 12-cylinder layout (believe or not). Capacity 24,4 litres, dry weight 425
> kg. Power output 450 hp.
>
> Check out this link. It has a picture of the engine.
>
> http://www.planes-and-tanks.com/EngineShop/lorraine.htm
>

> "Montblack" > kirjoitti ...
>> ("Flyingmonk" wrote)
>>>From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>>

>> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>>
>> 2 + 2 + 2 cylinder engine?
>> 45 degree + 45 degree + 45 degree?
>>
>> What is it?
>>

>> Montblack
>> Monk posted this engine link over in RAP.

Flyingmonk
March 12th 06, 04:52 PM
I agree, looks like JP gets the gold star! I found the picture in a
motorcross safari website that specializes in motorcross tours in
Cambodia. The engine is from a downed aircraft in that area.

Great job JP!

The Monk

JP
March 12th 06, 04:59 PM
Thanks! My pleasure.

"Flyingmonk" > kirjoitti
legroups.com...
>I agree, looks like JP gets the gold star! I found the picture in a
> motorcross safari website that specializes in motorcross tours in
> Cambodia. The engine is from a downed aircraft in that area.
>
> Great job JP!
>
> The Monk

Montblack
March 12th 06, 05:13 PM
("JP" wrote)
> What you have in the picture, seems to be a French Lorraine 12 Ed aircraft
> engine, circa year 1922. It is a liquid-cooled W-type engine (yes,
> 60+60=120 degrees most probably), but instead of 6-cylinder configuration,
> it's a 12-cylinder layout (believe or not). Capacity 24,4 litres, dry
> weight 425 kg. Power output 450 hp.
>
> Check out this link. It has a picture of the engine.
>
> http://www.planes-and-tanks.com/EngineShop/lorraine.htm

Thanks for the link!

About the web page:
When you click on "Aircraft Engines" to see more engines - that link doesn't
work.

Simply turn the capital "E", in the web address, into a lower case "e" for
the "Aircraft Engines" link on the Lorraine page to work. (IE 6.0 and
Firefox/Mozilla)

http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
1922 (French) Lorraine aircraft engine in Cambodia
940 lbs
450 hp
12 cylinder

Montblack

Richard Lamb
March 12th 06, 06:12 PM
Montblack wrote:
> ("JP" wrote)
>
>> What you have in the picture, seems to be a French Lorraine 12 Ed
>> aircraft
>> engine, circa year 1922. It is a liquid-cooled W-type engine (yes,
>> 60+60=120 degrees most probably), but instead of 6-cylinder
>> configuration,
>> it's a 12-cylinder layout (believe or not). Capacity 24,4 litres, dry
>> weight 425 kg. Power output 450 hp.
>>
>> Check out this link. It has a picture of the engine.
>>
>> http://www.planes-and-tanks.com/EngineShop/lorraine.htm
>

> Thanks for the link!
>
> About the web page:
> When you click on "Aircraft Engines" to see more engines - that link
> doesn't
> work.
>
> Simply turn the capital "E", in the web address, into a lower case "e" for
> the "Aircraft Engines" link on the Lorraine page to work. (IE 6.0 and
> Firefox/Mozilla)
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
> 1922 (French) Lorraine aircraft engine in Cambodia
> 940 lbs
> 450 hp
> 12 cylinder
>

> Montblack

Thanks Monty. Looks like I'm not the only one who does that.

Got a short giggle at the Allison 1710 - in metric???

Bush
March 14th 06, 01:20 AM
Great photo and link, easy to identify by the pushrod tube.

Bush

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:01:17 GMT, "JP" >
wrote:

>What you have in the picture, seems to be a French Lorraine 12 Ed aircraft
>engine, circa year 1922. It is a liquid-cooled W-type engine (yes, 60+60=120
>degrees most probably), but instead of 6-cylinder configuration, it's a
>12-cylinder layout (believe or not). Capacity 24,4 litres, dry weight 425
>kg. Power output 450 hp.
>
>Check out this link. It has a picture of the engine.
>
>http://www.planes-and-tanks.com/EngineShop/lorraine.htm
>

>"Montblack" > kirjoitti
>> ("Flyingmonk" wrote)
>>>From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>>

>> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>>
>> 2 + 2 + 2 cylinder engine?
>> 45 degree + 45 degree + 45 degree?
>>
>> What is it?
>>

>> Montblack
>> Monk posted this engine link over in RAP.

ian .at.bendigo
March 17th 06, 04:35 AM
Yes I reckon I can , it's a Soc Nationale de Construction de Moteurs
(Lorraine-Dietrich) see the V12 version Page 95 World Encyclopaedia of Aero
Engines by Bill Gunston ISBN 1-85260-163-9

--
Ian Kentish in Bendigo AU
36:46:13 S ---- 144:15:466
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> ("Flyingmonk" wrote)
> >From a down aircraft in Cambodia?
>

> http://i2.tinypic.com/r7pq4z.jpg
>
> 2 + 2 + 2 cylinder engine?
> 45 degree + 45 degree + 45 degree?
>
> What is it?
>

> Montblack
> Monk posted this engine link over in RAP.

Google