PDA

View Full Version : KLN94 LOC DME Source

Greg Esres
January 26th 04, 04:36 AM
Anyone have a tip as to the best way to enter the LOC DME source on
the KLN94?

The NRST function won't always pick it up, if there are a lot of
intersections around.

I've tried loading the fix into an alternate flight plan, and then do
a DIRECT operation later, but I couldn't get that to work.

Richard Kaplan
January 31st 04, 09:05 PM
"Greg Esres" > wrote in message

> Anyone have a tip as to the best way to enter the LOC DME source on
> the KLN94?

Set up a flight plan or go direct and treat it just like any other waypoint,
but be sure to start it with an I, i.e. IAFJ.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Greg Esres
February 1st 04, 05:14 AM
<<Set up a flight plan or go direct and treat it just like any other
waypoint,but be sure to start it with an I, i.e. IAFJ.

Richard, I know how to use a LOC-DME source; what I'm looking for is
an easy to enter the identifier. Entering in a 4 letter identifier is
a laborious procedure; a DME freq is much easier.

I tried creating a flight plan with the fix in it, but you can't go
direct to a fix in a flight plan unless the flight plan is the active
one. For some reason, I found that objectionable when it occured to
me a while back, but now it seems like maybe a good idea. Just create
a flight plan containing all the fixes you might want to use on an
instrument approach, then make that flight plan the active one and use
the waypoint "scan" to quickly select the one you want to use.

Thanks

Doug
February 1st 04, 05:14 AM
I would want to "stop waypoint sequencing", so the unit doesn't
sequence to the next waypoint in the middle of your approach. Make the
"Ixxx" the active waypoint, then put the unit in OBS (or HOLD) mode.
Putting the unit in OBS mode stops waypoint sequencing. Dial in the
localizer track as read off the plate. This will give you a track line
to the localizer and beyond it. It is usually easiest to have the Ixxx
waypoint in the route.

"Richard Kaplan" > wrote in message >...
> "Greg Esres" > wrote in message
>

> > Anyone have a tip as to the best way to enter the LOC DME source on
> > the KLN94?
>

> Set up a flight plan or go direct and treat it just like any other waypoint,
> but be sure to start it with an I, i.e. IAFJ.

Greg Esres
February 1st 04, 05:16 AM
>I would want to "stop waypoint sequencing", so the unit doesn't
>sequence to the next waypoint in the middle of your approach. Make the
>"Ixxx" the active waypoint, then put the unit in OBS (or HOLD) mode.

Good thought, Doug.

Craig Prouse
February 1st 04, 07:32 AM
In article >,
Greg Esres > wrote:

> I tried creating a flight plan with the fix in it, but you can't go
> direct to a fix in a flight plan unless the flight plan is the active
> one. For some reason, I found that objectionable when it occured to
> me a while back, but now it seems like maybe a good idea. Just create
> a flight plan containing all the fixes you might want to use on an
> instrument approach, then make that flight plan the active one and use
> the waypoint "scan" to quickly select the one you want to use.

The KLN boxes have separate APT, VOR, NDB, INT, USR, and NAV pages.
What I usually do, if I have waypoints of interest that aren't naturally
in my active flight plan, is preload them into their respective navaid
pages. So for example, as I prepare for an approach into KMRY, I would
put I-MRY on the INTersection page. Then, when I'm ready for it
(vectors to the localizer), I spin the big knob to the INT page, and
select -D>, OBS.

This allows me to step out of my flight plan temporarily. All it takes
to get back to the flight plan (missed approach?) is to clear the
direct-to operation, then the GPS reorients itself onto the flight plan
route. In many cases, I find this is more effective than trying to add
extraneous waypoints to the active flight plan.

Greg Esres
February 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
Good thought. I'll experiment with that. Thanks!

Google