PDA

View Full Version : Direct To a waypoint in flightplan on Garmin 430

Andrew Gideon
February 13th 04, 03:17 PM
On the Bendex/King gear on which I learned, it was easy to skip to another
way point on the flight plan. And this was very convenient, as it comes up
fairly often when IFR, at least for me. For example, I'll very often be
told "direct SBJ" when leaving CDW, only get "direct ..." to the next
waypoint well before I reach SBJ.

All I needed to do was select "direct to", and I could then "knob" my way
through the waypoints on the flight plan. Pressing either "enter" or
"direct to" (I forget which; it's been a way) would have me direct to the
proper waypoint within the flight plan.

On the Garmin with which I fly now, though, I've only found a more
cumbersome way: Select the flight plan button to view the plan, cursor on,
knob to the proper entry, and then press "enter".

This is more work, and more head-down time. I was able to work the B/K gear
w/o looking if I was merely skipping to the next waypoint (press, turn one
click, press). I cannot do that with the Garmin as I need to cycle through
the flight plan once the cursor is on.

But...I vague remember learning a better way to do this with the Garmin.
Does anyone happen to know what it is?

Thanks...

Andrew

John Harper
February 13th 04, 05:13 PM
So what you're complaining about is that you have to press one
more button on the Garmin than on the KLN?

John

"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
online.com...
> On the Bendex/King gear on which I learned, it was easy to skip to another
> way point on the flight plan. And this was very convenient, as it comes
up
> fairly often when IFR, at least for me. For example, I'll very often be
> told "direct SBJ" when leaving CDW, only get "direct ..." to the next
> waypoint well before I reach SBJ.
>
> All I needed to do was select "direct to", and I could then "knob" my way
> through the waypoints on the flight plan. Pressing either "enter" or
> "direct to" (I forget which; it's been a way) would have me direct to the
> proper waypoint within the flight plan.
>
> On the Garmin with which I fly now, though, I've only found a more
> cumbersome way: Select the flight plan button to view the plan, cursor on,
> knob to the proper entry, and then press "enter".
>
> This is more work, and more head-down time. I was able to work the B/K
gear
> w/o looking if I was merely skipping to the next waypoint (press, turn one
> click, press). I cannot do that with the Garmin as I need to cycle
through
> the flight plan once the cursor is on.
>
> But...I vague remember learning a better way to do this with the Garmin.
> Does anyone happen to know what it is?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Andrew

Andrew Gideon
February 13th 04, 05:16 PM
John Harper wrote:

> So what you're complaining about is that you have to press one
> more button on the Garmin than on the KLN?

That, plus I need to look down to "knob" through the entire flight plan.
The cursor doesn't start on the current waypoint, so I cannot just turn the
knob once w/o looking.

- Andrew

ArtP
February 13th 04, 06:08 PM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:16:51 -0500, Andrew Gideon >
wrote:

>That, plus I need to look down to "knob" through the entire flight plan.
>The cursor doesn't start on the current waypoint, so I cannot just turn the
>knob once w/o looking.

The GNSx30 points to the way point you just passed, so if you think
you have to go through the entire flight plan I suggest you learn how
to use the GNS before you criticize it.

Andrew Gideon
February 13th 04, 06:58 PM
ArtP wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:16:51 -0500, Andrew Gideon >
> wrote:
>

>>That, plus I need to look down to "knob" through the entire flight plan.
>>The cursor doesn't start on the current waypoint, so I cannot just turn
>>the knob once w/o looking.
>
> The GNSx30 points to the way point you just passed, so if you think
> you have to go through the entire flight plan I suggest you learn how
> to use the GNS before you criticize it.

I know of one that didn't do so yesterday, at least using the process I
followed/described. But you might want to read what I actually wrote. If
you did so, you'd note that I thought that there was a better way to do
this that I'd learned and since forgotten.

Thus, I wasn't criticising it but asking for the better process.

Anyway...perhaps this is a software version issue. I originally learned on
a newly installed unit, while the one I was using yesterday was installed
at some time further in the past (I don't know precisely when; it predates
my club membership).

Does Garmin provide software upgrades separate from the navigation data
updates?

- Andrew

Jim
February 13th 04, 07:14 PM
I may be wrong, but IIRC...
FPL
Cursor on
Scroll to desired waypoint
Enter
Enter

or is it Direct, Direct?
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Jim
February 13th 04, 07:22 PM
FPL
Cursor ON
Scroll to waypoint
Direct
Enter
Enter
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

ArtP
February 13th 04, 07:43 PM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:58:04 -0500, Andrew Gideon >
wrote:

>Anyway...perhaps this is a software version issue. I originally learned on
>a newly installed unit, while the one I was using yesterday was installed
>at some time further in the past (I don't know precisely when; it predates
>my club membership).

My GNS430's were installed Jan, 2002. When I press the FPL button the
previous way point is on the top of the screen, the current way point
is one down. I have had one or more software updates (I can't remember
how many) and that behaviors has not changed.

>Does Garmin provide software upgrades separate from the navigation data
>updates?

Yes. They have to be installed by an avionics shop. They also reset
all of your settings (flight plans, schedular, and display fields).

February 13th 04, 11:34 PM
If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
than direct.to

Jim wrote:

> FPL
> Cursor ON
> Scroll to waypoint
> Direct
> Enter
> Enter
> --
> Jim Burns III
>
> Remove "nospam" to reply

Andrew Gideon
February 14th 04, 12:23 AM
wrote:

> If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
> than direct.to

So I skip to the next waypoint with "direct", "direct", "enter"? And this
will give me the DTK etc. from my current position to that waypoint?

Perfect! Thanks for knowing this little box so well...

Andrew

ArtP
February 14th 04, 01:35 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:23:54 -0500, Andrew Gideon >

>> If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
>> than direct.to
>
>So I skip to the next waypoint with "direct", "direct", "enter"? And this
>will give me the DTK etc. from my current position to that waypoint?
>
>Perfect! Thanks for knowing this little box so well...

No. You only use "direct direct enter" if you want to go to the next
way point on the leg described in the flight plan. When the controller
clears you "direct to xxx" you want to select xxx and then press
"direct enter enter".

Andrew Gideon
February 14th 04, 03:35 AM

wrote:

>>> If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
>>> than direct.to
>>
>>So I skip to the next waypoint with "direct", "direct", "enter"? And this
>>will give me the DTK etc. from my current position to that waypoint?
>>
>>Perfect! Thanks for knowing this little box so well...
>
> No. You only use "direct direct enter" if you want to go to the next
> way point on the leg described in the flight plan. When the controller
> clears you "direct to xxx" you want to select xxx and then press
> "direct enter enter".

Hmm...I'm not sure how what you've written is different from what I've
written.

Let's assume that the flight plan currently in the GPS is SBJ LANNA BOPLY
ETX ABE. The active waypoint - that to which we're currently flying - is
SBJ. ATC clears me direct to LANNA.

Would "direct" "direct" "enter" change the waypoint to LANNA? Or would it
leave it as SBJ? Or would it do something different?

- Andrew

ArtP
February 14th 04, 05:49 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:35:52 -0500, Andrew Gideon >
wrote:

>Let's assume that the flight plan currently in the GPS is SBJ LANNA BOPLY
>ETX ABE. The active waypoint - that to which we're currently flying - is
>SBJ. ATC clears me direct to LANNA.
>
>Would "direct" "direct" "enter" change the waypoint to LANNA? Or would it
>leave it as SBJ? Or would it do something different?

"direct direct enter" would set your course to intercept and fly the
SBJ-LANNA leg of your flight plan.

"direct enter enter" would fly direct to LANNA from your current
position.

The "direct direct enter" is used when you are told to "resume own
navigation" after a vector diversion. The "direct enter enter" is used
when you are "cleared direct to" a point.

Scott Moore
February 14th 04, 07:54 AM
"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message online.com...
> On the Bendex/King gear on which I learned, it was easy to skip to another
> way point on the flight plan. And this was very convenient, as it comes up
> fairly often when IFR, at least for me. For example, I'll very often be
> told "direct SBJ" when leaving CDW, only get "direct ..." to the next
> waypoint well before I reach SBJ.
>
> All I needed to do was select "direct to", and I could then "knob" my way
> through the waypoints on the flight plan. Pressing either "enter" or
> "direct to" (I forget which; it's been a way) would have me direct to the
> proper waypoint within the flight plan.
>
> On the Garmin with which I fly now, though, I've only found a more
> cumbersome way: Select the flight plan button to view the plan, cursor on,
> knob to the proper entry, and then press "enter".
>
> This is more work, and more head-down time. I was able to work the B/K gear
> w/o looking if I was merely skipping to the next waypoint (press, turn one
> click, press). I cannot do that with the Garmin as I need to cycle through
> the flight plan once the cursor is on.
>
> But...I vague remember learning a better way to do this with the Garmin.
> Does anyone happen to know what it is?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Andrew

I cannot recommend enough the Garmin video for the unit. They really had some
nice hints that cover how to do things the quick way in it.

February 14th 04, 02:21 PM
ArtP wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:35:52 -0500, Andrew Gideon >
> wrote:
>

> >Let's assume that the flight plan currently in the GPS is SBJ LANNA BOPLY
> >ETX ABE. The active waypoint - that to which we're currently flying - is
> >SBJ. ATC clears me direct to LANNA.
> >
> >Would "direct" "direct" "enter" change the waypoint to LANNA? Or would it
> >leave it as SBJ? Or would it do something different?
>
> "direct direct enter" would set your course to intercept and fly the
> SBJ-LANNA leg of your flight plan.

That is what I was trying to say, although perhaps I could have worded it
better.

> "direct enter enter" would fly direct to LANNA from your current
> position.
>
> The "direct direct enter" is used when you are told to "resume own
> navigation" after a vector diversion. The "direct enter enter" is used
> when you are "cleared direct to" a point.

John Harper
February 15th 04, 02:22 AM
Thanks to whoever pointed out the direct-direct-enter trick. I
somehow missed it when I read the manual. It's exactly what's
needed on the normal eastward departure from PAO (vecs
to join Vxxx) which up til now I've done using the VOR.
I guess that's why they put it there...

John

> wrote in message
>

> ArtP wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:35:52 -0500, Andrew Gideon >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >Let's assume that the flight plan currently in the GPS is SBJ LANNA
BOPLY
> > >ETX ABE. The active waypoint - that to which we're currently flying -
is
> > >SBJ. ATC clears me direct to LANNA.
> > >
> > >Would "direct" "direct" "enter" change the waypoint to LANNA? Or would
it
> > >leave it as SBJ? Or would it do something different?
> >
> > "direct direct enter" would set your course to intercept and fly the
> > SBJ-LANNA leg of your flight plan.
>
> That is what I was trying to say, although perhaps I could have worded it
> better.
>

> > "direct enter enter" would fly direct to LANNA from your current
> > position.
> >
> > The "direct direct enter" is used when you are told to "resume own
> > navigation" after a vector diversion. The "direct enter enter" is used
> > when you are "cleared direct to" a point.

Julian Scarfe
February 15th 04, 06:33 AM
> wrote:
>
> > If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
> > than direct.to

"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
online.com...

> So I skip to the next waypoint with "direct", "direct", "enter"? And this
> will give me the DTK etc. from my current position to that waypoint?

Doesn't work on the sim. Of course it may be that my copy of the sim is
dated.

"direct", "direct", "enter" activates the *current* leg of the FPL. It
doesn't skip a leg.
"direct", "direct", "enter" and "direct", "enter", "enter" will toggle
between direct nav to the current waypoint and the active leg to the current
waypoint. Neither appears to change the current waypoint.

So...

> Let's assume that the flight plan currently in the GPS is SBJ LANNA BOPLY
> ETX ABE. The active waypoint - that to which we're currently flying - is
> SBJ. ATC clears me direct to LANNA.
>
> Would "direct" "direct" "enter" change the waypoint to LANNA? Or would it
> leave it as SBJ? Or would it do something different?

"direct", "direct" offers to activate the leg from [wherever] to SBJ, not
LANNA.

The method shown in the manual for doing what you want is:

1 "direct"
2 rotate large knob to FPL field (usually three clicks clock)
3 rotate small knob to desired point (two clicks clock for the one beyond
current),
4 "enter"

So there is, apparently, one more step on the Garmin than on the B/K. It
would make more sense IMHO if the "select direct-to waypoint" page defaulted
to highlighting the FPL field and omitting step 2.

It's not much shorter than:

FPL
press for cursor
rotate large knob to desired point (two clicks clock for the one beyond
current),
"direct"
"enter"
"enter"

which is, I guess, what you were doing.

Julian Scarfe

John Harper
February 15th 04, 08:04 PM
It does work but you have to do it right...

FPL - cursor - twiddle to END of desired leg - direct - direct - enter.

It doesn't automatically skip to the next leg.

John

"Julian Scarfe" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
> >
> > > If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
> > > than direct.to
>
> "Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
> online.com...
> >
> > So I skip to the next waypoint with "direct", "direct", "enter"? And
this
> > will give me the DTK etc. from my current position to that waypoint?
>
> Doesn't work on the sim. Of course it may be that my copy of the sim is
> dated.
>
> "direct", "direct", "enter" activates the *current* leg of the FPL. It
> doesn't skip a leg.
> "direct", "direct", "enter" and "direct", "enter", "enter" will toggle
> between direct nav to the current waypoint and the active leg to the
current
> waypoint. Neither appears to change the current waypoint.
>
> So...
>
> > Let's assume that the flight plan currently in the GPS is SBJ LANNA
BOPLY
> > ETX ABE. The active waypoint - that to which we're currently flying -
is
> > SBJ. ATC clears me direct to LANNA.
> >
> > Would "direct" "direct" "enter" change the waypoint to LANNA? Or would
it
> > leave it as SBJ? Or would it do something different?
>
> "direct", "direct" offers to activate the leg from [wherever] to SBJ, not
> LANNA.
>
> The method shown in the manual for doing what you want is:
>
> 1 "direct"
> 2 rotate large knob to FPL field (usually three clicks clock)
> 3 rotate small knob to desired point (two clicks clock for the one beyond
> current),
> 4 "enter"
>
> So there is, apparently, one more step on the Garmin than on the B/K. It
> would make more sense IMHO if the "select direct-to waypoint" page
defaulted
> to highlighting the FPL field and omitting step 2.
>
> It's not much shorter than:
>
> FPL
> press for cursor
> rotate large knob to desired point (two clicks clock for the one beyond
> current),
> "direct"
> "enter"
> "enter"
>
> which is, I guess, what you were doing.
>
> Julian Scarfe

February 16th 04, 07:44 AM
John Harper wrote:

> It does work but you have to do it right...
>
> FPL - cursor - twiddle to END of desired leg - direct - direct - enter.
>
> It doesn't automatically skip to the next leg.

And, that is so you can elect to select a leg downstream if circumstances
warrant.

February 16th 04, 07:45 AM
And, I should have added: even if you forget which waypoint to highlight with
the cursor it will prompt you with the leg that will be activated, to help keep
you out of doo doo.

David Lindenauer
February 17th 04, 02:00 PM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:17:20 -0500, Andrew Gideon >
wrote:

Hit the Direct button.
Rotate the large knob until the FPL field is highlighted.
Rotate the small knob until the desired waypoint is highlighted.
Hit Enter twice.

John Clonts
February 18th 04, 01:31 AM
> wrote in message ...
>

> John Harper wrote:
>
> > It does work but you have to do it right...
> >
> > FPL - cursor - twiddle to END of desired leg - direct - direct - enter.
> >
> > It doesn't automatically skip to the next leg.
>
> And, that is so you can elect to select a leg downstream if circumstances
> warrant.

I'm not terribly fond of my King KLN-94, however one feature I do really
like on it adresses this situation... In map mode, if you pull the little
knob it "offers" you your current waypoint in the lower right hand corner of
your screen. One click of the knob advances to the next waypoint on your
flight plan. "Direct" "Enter" "Enter", and off you go!

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ