PDA

View Full Version : Back in the Saddle Again

Jerry Kaidor
February 20th 04, 03:19 AM
Hi folks,

Getting back into that instrument training.... ...after a haitus of
over a year. It's been something like three years since I started
trying to get it.
Was doing pretty good until:

1-punch: My airplane got a bit of airframe corrosion, requiring
three months of layoff while repairs were accomplished.

2-punch: I bought an apartment complex. Hear that sucking noise?
It's the sound of all of Jerry's free time disappearing.

Before the two punches, I had
* Done all the lessons in IP trainer.
* Passed the Written
* Corkscrewed through some 40 hours of hood time, including many
many holds, approaches, stalls, steep turns etc.
* done the Long Instrument XC

So all that's required is to learn, at last, how to fly and chew
gum at the same time.

I just decided to spend the money, spend the time, just bang at it
til its done. My CFII unfortunately has a life, and can be hard to
schedule. I have
arrived at a simple algorithm: at the end of each lesson, I ask for
the next day. If that's not available, I ask for the day after that.
While( day not acquired ) day++; :)

The first lesson after the haitus was the day before yesterday. I
tried
very hard to hold heading within 50 degrees and altitude within 2000
feet :).
Nah, it wasn't THAT bad. But it was bad enough. We flew an ILS and I
swear
I only saw the needles once during the descent.

Today was much better. I kept heading to within 5 degrees or so,
and only busted altitude twice during the whole lesson. Still gotta
get the flying
automatic enough to free up neurons for writing, talking, and
situational awareness.

- Jerry Kaidor ( tr2 jerry com )( rearrange for
email address: I already get a hundred spams a day )

Google