PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Turbine pilots.

601XL Builder
April 22nd 06, 05:19 PM
We have a doctor who just bought a 206 and after less than a month the
chopper has been sent for a new engine. I heard he had a "Hot Start" and
burned out the engine.

While I'm both fixed wing and helicopter certified I have zero
experience with jets so what did he do? And what's it gonna cost him?

B4RT
April 22nd 06, 07:16 PM
The indication of a hot start is when the TOT (turbine outlet temp) runs
away and goes far too high. Internally its casued when the flameball does
not form correctly as a result of too much fuel, too high of a pre-existing
temperature, or incorrect/sufficient airflow. It requires an inspection and
if he melted enough stuff it could cost around $90,000.

Bart

"601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
> We have a doctor who just bought a 206 and after less than a month the
> chopper has been sent for a new engine. I heard he had a "Hot Start" and
> burned out the engine.
>
> While I'm both fixed wing and helicopter certified I have zero experience
> with jets so what did he do? And what's it gonna cost him?

Steve R
April 22nd 06, 09:45 PM
OUCH! :-(

"B4RT" > wrote in message
> The indication of a hot start is when the TOT (turbine outlet temp) runs
> away and goes far too high. Internally its casued when the flameball does
> not form correctly as a result of too much fuel, too high of a
> pre-existing temperature, or incorrect/sufficient airflow. It requires an
> inspection and if he melted enough stuff it could cost around $90,000.
>
> Bart
>

> "601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
>> We have a doctor who just bought a 206 and after less than a month the
>> chopper has been sent for a new engine. I heard he had a "Hot Start" and
>> burned out the engine.
>>
>> While I'm both fixed wing and helicopter certified I have zero experience
>> with jets so what did he do? And what's it gonna cost him?

601XL Builder
April 23rd 06, 06:42 PM
Well they yanked off the rotor blades and put the 206 on a truck so my
bet is he burnt up what could be burnt.

Steve R wrote:
> OUCH! :-(
>

> "B4RT" > wrote in message
>> The indication of a hot start is when the TOT (turbine outlet temp) runs
>> away and goes far too high. Internally its casued when the flameball does
>> not form correctly as a result of too much fuel, too high of a
>> pre-existing temperature, or incorrect/sufficient airflow. It requires an
>> inspection and if he melted enough stuff it could cost around $90,000.
>>
>> Bart
>>

>> "601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
>>> We have a doctor who just bought a 206 and after less than a month the
>>> chopper has been sent for a new engine. I heard he had a "Hot Start" and
>>> burned out the engine.
>>>
>>> While I'm both fixed wing and helicopter certified I have zero experience
>>> with jets so what did he do? And what's it gonna cost him?

RPE
April 30th 06, 06:58 AM
He must be very new to turbines. Had to be more than a hot start, must
have been a fire. Hot start usually would just require inspection of the
burner can. Removing can and power turbine would probably be something a
mechanic could do on site in a few hours and ship to facilitate the
inspection. Moving the complete helicopter is a waste unless being
returned to seller as a warranty return. A simple hot start only
requires a flight test procedure and at the worst can be flown to a
repair facility with in reasonable distance.

"601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
> Well they yanked off the rotor blades and put the 206 on a truck so my
> bet is he burnt up what could be burnt.
>

> Steve R wrote:
>> OUCH! :-(
>>

>> "B4RT" > wrote in message
>>> The indication of a hot start is when the TOT (turbine outlet temp)
>>> runs away and goes far too high. Internally its casued when the
>>> flameball does not form correctly as a result of too much fuel, too
>>> high of a pre-existing temperature, or incorrect/sufficient airflow.
>>> It requires an inspection and if he melted enough stuff it could
>>> cost around $90,000.
>>>
>>> Bart

B4RT
April 30th 06, 06:02 PM
Wow,

"..at the worst can be flown..." ? WTF DUDE!. Are you crazy?

I don't want to be harsh, but if you do have a hot start call a factory
authorized repair station for your engine or aircraft (in this case Rolls
Royce / Bell) and follow THEIR advice. DO NOT FLY YOUR MACHINE unless you
get sage wisdom and authorization from one of these.

Bart

"RPE" > wrote in message
. com...
> He must be very new to turbines. Had to be more than a hot start, must
> have been a fire. Hot start usually would just require inspection of the
> burner can. Removing can and power turbine would probably be something a
> mechanic could do on site in a few hours and ship to facilitate the
> inspection. Moving the complete helicopter is a waste unless being
> returned to seller as a warranty return. A simple hot start only requires
> a flight test procedure and at the worst can be flown to a repair facility
> with in reasonable distance.

do

reader
April 30th 06, 06:38 PM
"RPE" > wrote in message
. com...
> He must be very new to turbines. Had to be more than a hot start, must
> have been a fire. Hot start usually would just require inspection of the
> burner can. Removing can and power turbine would probably be something a
> mechanic could do on site in a few hours and ship to facilitate the
> inspection. Moving the complete helicopter is a waste unless being
> returned to seller as a warranty return. A simple hot start only
> requires a flight test procedure

>and at the worst can be flown to a
> repair facility with in reasonable distance.

Sorry, I disagree (with that very last part). I've released a lot of
aircraft as "Certified Safe for Flight" and I would NOT allow even a one-way
flight after an event like that. If the bird is down, it's DOWN. Aircrew
lives depend on my signature and I don't take that lightly.

They can 'fly' it over on the back of a trailer.

Google