PDA

View Full Version : required vertical altitude separation

February 28th 04, 12:20 PM
Is 1000 feet the absolute minimum vertical separation between ifr
aircraft? Or can atc assign 3500 feet to one, and 4000 to another,
and have no lateral separation??

Secondly, any different for a situation where one is ifr at 4000 ft,
and a vfr aircraft is being vectored at 3500 feet, with no lateral
separation?

Any exceptions?

Stan

Brad Z
February 28th 04, 01:25 PM
1,000 for IFR-IFR. 500 for IFR-VFR. This can be reduced provided there is
visual contact and the visual separation is maintained by the pilot.

From Faa Order 7110.65 (ATC)

Section 5. Altitude Assignment and Verification

4-5-1. VERTICAL SEPARATION MINIMA

Separate instrument flight rules (IFR) aircraft using the following minima
between altitudes:

a. Up to and including FL 290- 1,000 feet.

7-7-3. SEPARATION

Separate VFR aircraft from VFR/IFR aircraft by any one of the following:

a. Visual separation, as specified in para 7-2-1, Visual Separation, para
7-4-2, Vectors for Visual Approach, and para 7-6-7, Sequencing.

NOTE-
Issue wake turbulence cautionary advisories in accordance with para 2-1-20,
Wake Turbulence Cautionary Advisories.

b. 500 feet vertical separation.

c. Target resolution when using broadband radar systems. The application of
target resolutions at locations not using broadband radar will be
individually approved by the Program Director for Air Traffic Planning and
Procedures, ATP-1.

> wrote in message
> Is 1000 feet the absolute minimum vertical separation between ifr
> aircraft? Or can atc assign 3500 feet to one, and 4000 to another,
> and have no lateral separation??
>
> Secondly, any different for a situation where one is ifr at 4000 ft,
> and a vfr aircraft is being vectored at 3500 feet, with no lateral
> separation?
>
> Any exceptions?
>
> Stan

Newps
February 28th 04, 03:30 PM
wrote:

> Is 1000 feet the absolute minimum vertical separation between ifr
> aircraft? Or can atc assign 3500 feet to one, and 4000 to another,
> and have no lateral separation??

1000 feet up to FL290, then 2000 feet.

> Secondly, any different for a situation where one is ifr at 4000 ft,
> and a vfr aircraft is being vectored at 3500 feet, with no lateral
> separation?

Depends on the airspace. If you need to have them separated then 500
feet will be the minimum.

March 1st 04, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the replies Brad and Newps
With as little as 500 ft between 2 aircraft, ifr/vfr, does the
controller have to take into account the ifr aircraft may have tcas?
Doesn't 500 ft separation generate an RA, in which case a tcas climb
could now infringe any 1000 ft separation from a third, and ifr,
aircraft?
Stan

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:25:06 GMT, "Brad Z" >
wrote:

>Separate VFR aircraft from VFR/IFR aircraft by any one of the following:
>

>b. 500 feet vertical separation.

Newps
March 1st 04, 03:27 AM
wrote:
> Thanks for the replies Brad and Newps
> With as little as 500 ft between 2 aircraft, ifr/vfr, does the
> controller have to take into account the ifr aircraft may have tcas?
> Doesn't 500 ft separation generate an RA, in which case a tcas climb
> could now infringe any 1000 ft separation from a third, and ifr,
> aircraft?

When you run at minimums you are required to advise the jets of the
traffic so that is not a factor. If an aircraft deviates from a
clearance to follow an RA I am no longer responsible for separation.
When he's done deviating he is required to tell me, then we'll untangle
everything.

Google