PDA

View Full Version : Victor Airways in Cessna G1000 T182T

April 30th 06, 05:34 PM
I am fortunate enough to spend some time in my Uncle's new 2006 T182
with the Nav III G1000. Amazing stuff. But am spending time "head
down". Can't seem to find Victor airways. Lots of amazing stuff - XM
weather, echo tops, Metars/TAFs etc. But 530 had the V airways! As
not my plane - I cant RTFM. Looked a bit online, cant find.
Anyone know? Thx.

Jim Macklin
April 30th 06, 06:07 PM
Here is the page to download manuals
http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=59&product=010-G1000-00

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

> wrote in message
oups.com...
|I am fortunate enough to spend some time in my Uncle's new
2006 T182
| with the Nav III G1000. Amazing stuff. But am spending
time "head
| down". Can't seem to find Victor airways. Lots of
amazing stuff - XM
| weather, echo tops, Metars/TAFs etc. But 530 had the V
airways! As
| not my plane - I cant RTFM. Looked a bit online, cant
find.
| Anyone know? Thx.

Peter Clark
April 30th 06, 06:09 PM
On 30 Apr 2006 09:34:00 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I am fortunate enough to spend some time in my Uncle's new 2006 T182
>with the Nav III G1000. Amazing stuff. But am spending time "head
>down". Can't seem to find Victor airways. Lots of amazing stuff - XM
>weather, echo tops, Metars/TAFs etc. But 530 had the V airways! As
>not my plane - I cant RTFM. Looked a bit online, cant find.
>Anyone know? Thx.

The G1000 doesn't include victor airways. Garmin doesn't think we
need them in the "GPS direct" world.

Sam Spade
April 30th 06, 06:25 PM
wrote:
> I am fortunate enough to spend some time in my Uncle's new 2006 T182
> with the Nav III G1000. Amazing stuff. But am spending time "head
> down". Can't seem to find Victor airways. Lots of amazing stuff - XM
> weather, echo tops, Metars/TAFs etc. But 530 had the V airways! As
> not my plane - I cant RTFM. Looked a bit online, cant find.
> Anyone know? Thx.

The 530 doesn't have airways either.

Peter Clark
April 30th 06, 06:35 PM
On 30 Apr 2006 09:34:00 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I am fortunate enough to spend some time in my Uncle's new 2006 T182
>with the Nav III G1000. Amazing stuff. But am spending time "head
>down". Can't seem to find Victor airways. Lots of amazing stuff - XM
>weather, echo tops, Metars/TAFs etc. But 530 had the V airways! As
>not my plane - I cant RTFM. Looked a bit online, cant find.
>Anyone know? Thx.

Oh, almost forgot - the Cessna G1000 manuals are available for
download at:

http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=59&product=010-G1000-C3

Take care.

Jim Macklin
April 30th 06, 09:48 PM
It does have all the intersections, so you can program
routes on the airways.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Peter Clark" >
wrote in message
| On 30 Apr 2006 09:34:00 -0700, "
| > wrote:
|
| >I am fortunate enough to spend some time in my Uncle's
new 2006 T182
| >with the Nav III G1000. Amazing stuff. But am spending
time "head
| >down". Can't seem to find Victor airways. Lots of
amazing stuff - XM
| >weather, echo tops, Metars/TAFs etc. But 530 had the V
airways! As
| >not my plane - I cant RTFM. Looked a bit online, cant
find.
| >Anyone know? Thx.
|
| The G1000 doesn't include victor airways. Garmin doesn't
think we
| need them in the "GPS direct" world.

Peter Clark
April 30th 06, 09:55 PM
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:48:03 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
> wrote:

>It does have all the intersections, so you can program
>routes on the airways.

Is there an IFR GPS that doesn't include all the waypoints which
comprise an airway and thus facilitating hand entry of an airway?

I'm with what I'm sure the OP was really looking for, I wish G1000's
would take "BOS V3 HFD" into the flight plan and just fill it in
rather than having to enter all the waypoints by hand...

Roy Smith
April 30th 06, 09:58 PM
In article >,
Peter Clark > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:48:03 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
> > wrote:
>
> >It does have all the intersections, so you can program
> >routes on the airways.
>
> Is there an IFR GPS that doesn't include all the waypoints which
> comprise an airway and thus facilitating hand entry of an airway?
>
> I'm with what I'm sure the OP was really looking for, I wish G1000's
> would take "BOS V3 HFD" into the flight plan and just fill it in
> rather than having to enter all the waypoints by hand...

Amen. It seems utterly braindead not to have that ability. The cost is
minimal in terms of either CPU time or storage space, and the convenience
is huge. I absolutely cannot understand why the G1000 does not support
that.

Steve Rubin
April 30th 06, 10:56 PM
In article >,
Peter Clark > wrote:
>The G1000 doesn't include victor airways. Garmin doesn't think we
>need them in the "GPS direct" world.

*sigh*

The closest thing you can do to fly an airway using the G1000 or 430/530 is
to enter the fixes along a airway. Also, if you need to intercept an airway you can enter in the previous fix along an airway, and then the next fix on
the airway, and then hit D-> twice and it will fly that leg of the flight plan
which will put you towards the airway.

--
Steve Rubin / AE6CH / http://www.altdb.net/
Email: / N6441C / http://www.tch.org/~ser/

Sam Spade
May 1st 06, 02:12 AM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> It does have all the intersections, so you can program
> routes on the airways.

As does my Garmin handheld.

A robust IFR platform should have airways that load as easily as
entering them in an FAA flight plan.

Jim Macklin
May 1st 06, 02:48 AM
Maybe, if Garmin and Cessna get enough complaints or loss
enough sales, they will add the feature in a software
revision. It would be nice.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > It does have all the intersections, so you can program
| > routes on the airways.
| >

| As does my Garmin handheld.
|
| A robust IFR platform should have airways that load as
easily as
| entering them in an FAA flight plan.

Sam Spade
May 1st 06, 09:51 AM
Roy Smith wrote:

> Amen. It seems utterly braindead not to have that ability. The cost is
> minimal in terms of either CPU time or storage space, and the convenience
> is huge. I absolutely cannot understand why the G1000 does not support
> that.

My guess is that it was an emotional decision on the part of the
gentleman who runs the part of Garmin that makes the IFR panel mounts.
He got kicked a lot in the shins about the lack of airway databases in
the 400500 series. Apparently, they could not add that feature to the
400/500 series (prior to the someday-big-upgrade) because of lack of
platform capability.

So, perhaps he felt it would make the 400/500 product line look worse to
have designed the G1000 with an airway database.

Dave Butler
May 1st 06, 02:39 PM
Sam Spade wrote:
> Roy Smith wrote:
>

>> Amen. It seems utterly braindead not to have that ability. The cost
>> is minimal in terms of either CPU time or storage space, and the
>> convenience is huge. I absolutely cannot understand why the G1000
>> does not support that.
>

> My guess is that it was an emotional decision on the part of the
> gentleman who runs the part of Garmin that makes the IFR panel mounts.
> He got kicked a lot in the shins about the lack of airway databases in
> the 400500 series. Apparently, they could not add that feature to the
> 400/500 series (prior to the someday-big-upgrade) because of lack of
> platform capability.
>
> So, perhaps he felt it would make the 400/500 product line look worse to
> have designed the G1000 with an airway database.

Since noone else has mentioned it: The Garmin GNS480 understands airways... and
it *does* make the 400/500 product line look worse, in a lot of ways.

DGB

May 1st 06, 04:42 PM
yes it does. more button pushing, but much much more capable.

Sam Spade
May 1st 06, 04:49 PM
Dave Butler wrote:

> Sam Spade wrote:

> Since noone else has mentioned it: The Garmin GNS480 understands
> airways... and it *does* make the 400/500 product line look worse, in a
> lot of ways.
>
> DGB

True, but the Garmin IFR folks inherited that box, they didn't design it.

Peter R.
May 1st 06, 06:50 PM
Sam Spade > wrote:

> Dave Butler wrote:
>
>> Sam Spade wrote:
>
>> Since noone else has mentioned it: The Garmin GNS480 understands
>> airways... and it *does* make the 400/500 product line look worse, in a
>> lot of ways.
>>
>> DGB
>
> True, but the Garmin IFR folks inherited that box, they didn't design it.

Inherited = purchased the competition. :)

--
Peter

Dane Spearing
May 1st 06, 08:53 PM
In article <1146490571.46317@sj-nntpcache-5>, Dave Butler > wrote:
>Since noone else has mentioned it: The Garmin GNS480 understands airways...
>and it *does* make the 400/500 product line look worse, in a lot of ways.

Heh. That's because the GNS480 wasn't designed by Garmin. It was originally
a product of UPSAT (aka Apollo, II-Morrow) before they were bought out by
Garmin, and was called the Apollo CNX-80.

-- Dane

Mike Murdock
May 2nd 06, 02:56 AM
"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> In article >,

> Amen. It seems utterly braindead not to have that ability. The cost is
> minimal in terms of either CPU time or storage space, and the convenience
> is huge. I absolutely cannot understand why the G1000 does not support
> that.

I can understand why they don't support Victor airways in the G1000. The
G1000 uses Garmin 430's (as black boxes, without the display or buttons) as
its GPS navigators. If the Garmin 430 can't do it, the G1000 can't do it.

It was a sound engineering decision, but I agree it sure would be nice to
have the capability.

-Mike

Google