PDA

View Full Version : Fed Ex Weather Diversions

Jay Honeck
May 4th 06, 03:07 AM
This is cool!

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D

This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
us have the luxury of avoiding.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Skywise
May 4th 06, 06:35 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in news:1146708441.408366.22260
@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> This is cool!
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>
> This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
> us have the luxury of avoiding.

That is hilarious!! It's like watching a bunch of ants scurrying
around trying to find their way back to the nest after you've just
put something across their trail to block it.

Brina
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Morgans
May 4th 06, 07:42 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is cool!
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>
> This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
> us have the luxury of avoiding.

Way too funny!

I couldn't help but notice that most of them did not look to be obeying the
"20 miles away from the thunderstorm" rule.

I'm sure they were all being safe. It must have been a very clean break,
from storm to clear. A wall cloud, perhaps?

Jay, do you know of anyone with recent wall cloud experience?

<g> Sorry. "The devil made me do it."
--
Jim in NC

Denny
May 4th 06, 12:09 PM
I would not want to HAVE to work for any of the delivery services in
any capacity - pilot, driver, loader, etc. - Indentured servitude
reinvented..
I have all three major services deliver packages to us almost daily...
The drivers, while pleasant, are twitchy, driven people operating under
enormous time pressures... My job is demanding of my time, attention,
and energy but not in the same magnitude of theirs where every rotation
of the wheels, every time the door opens, every time the engine starts.
is recorded, measured, evaluated, and held against them...
As an old warrior on the automobile assembly lines, when I look at the
truck delivery services I am reminded of that old saying of Walter
Reuther - The world's largest, glorified, goldplated, sweatshop...

denny

John T
May 4th 06, 12:37 PM
Denny wrote:
> I would not want to HAVE to work for any of the delivery services in
> any capacity - pilot, driver, loader, etc. - Indentured servitude
> reinvented..
>
> As an old warrior on the automobile assembly lines, when I look at the
> truck delivery services I am reminded of that old saying of Walter
> Reuther - The world's largest, glorified, goldplated, sweatshop...

....and every employee is a volunteer. :)

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Jim Burns
May 4th 06, 01:43 PM
"Denny" > wrote in message
<snip>
> The drivers, while pleasant, are twitchy, driven people operating under
> enormous time pressures... <snip>

I've got to tell you about one particular delivery guy that we had... he
was so grumpy, so pressured it was absolutely hilarious to watch him...
always rushing, fumbling, complaining, and getting further behind... never a
nice thing to say.... always an exasperated sigh on the tip of his tongue...
until one day...

Phone rings and it's him... he had just left our office after our daily
delivery... in a real quiet but frazzled voice he says.... "hey Jim, I
really need a favor, I'm south of town a couple miles at the pickle plant
and I'm stuck, can you come give me a pull?"

Ok, this is in the middle of the summer, no rain, no mud, no nothing to get
stuck in... So I asked, "what are you stuck in and what kind of a truck or
tractor will I need?" and he proceeds to explain how as he was leaving, he
backed across a loading ramp and his rear axle fell off the side. His truck
was sitting on the frame. Talk about embarrassed...

from that day on he always had a smile.

Our current guy and I have a deal....he tells me when he delivers things to
my wife at the bank, and I try to prevent her from ordering junk to make his
job easier.

Jim

john smith
May 4th 06, 01:58 PM
In article . com>,
"Denny" > wrote:

> As an old warrior on the automobile assembly lines, when I look at the
> truck delivery services I am reminded of that old saying of Walter
> Reuther - The world's largest, glorified, goldplated, sweatshop...

I worked the subassembly lines (instrument clusters, seats, unloading
boxcars) for six years while I was in college. Once I had fulfilled my
daily quota, I was told to go hide for the last couple hours of my shift.

Matt Barrow
May 4th 06, 02:15 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> This is cool!
>>
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>>
>> This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
>> us have the luxury of avoiding.
>
> Way too funny!

Quite! It looked like a free-form version of Pac-Man!

Denny
May 4th 06, 04:10 PM
Once I had fulfilled my
daily quota, I was told to go hide for the last couple hours of my
shift.
************************************************** ****************************

Yeah, part of what killed GM, etc... AC Delco parts factory in Flint
was famous for that... A shirt tail relative worked there for 30 years
- she was TOLD by union reps what days she was not to show up, they
would punch her in and out...
OTOH, the final assembly lines were/are demanding... You have to be
there, every minute is monitored, have to have relief to go to the can,
etc...
Anyway, from what I see the package delivery folks are rode hard and
put away wet...

denny

denny

Peter R.
May 4th 06, 04:24 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:

> This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
> us have the luxury of avoiding.

Great find, Jay. Did you notice the one aircraft approaching from the
northeast who broke away from the main line and attempted a diversion to
the east and south, then (assuming the animation was timed with the
aircraft positions correctly) flew through a smaller thunderstorm cell to
get to the airport?

--
Peter

Matt Barrow
May 4th 06, 04:27 PM
"Denny" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Once I had fulfilled my
> daily quota, I was told to go hide for the last couple hours of my
> shift.
> ************************************************** ****************************
>
> Yeah, part of what killed GM, etc... AC Delco parts factory in Flint
> was famous for that...

You could say that about every unionized industry in the past 100 years.

The teacher's unions are the newest idiots-at-work.

> A shirt tail relative worked there for 30 years
> - she was TOLD by union reps what days she was not to show up, they
> would punch her in and out...
> OTOH, the final assembly lines were/are demanding... You have to be
> there, every minute is monitored, have to have relief to go to the can,
> etc...

When you have to make up for all the lost/stolen (and it's A LOT) time...

> Anyway, from what I see the package delivery folks are rode hard and
> put away wet...

And yet they stay on, year after year. We have family friends where the
husband just completed his 30th year with UPS...still a delivery driver.

Darkwing
May 4th 06, 07:24 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is cool!
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>
> This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
> us have the luxury of avoiding.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Watching the holds after the cell is over airport is hilarious.

DW

Morgans
May 4th 06, 11:36 PM
"Matt Barrow" > wrote

> You could say that about every unionized industry in the past 100 years.
>
> The teacher's unions are the newest idiots-at-work.

I feel sorry for you, and the educational institution that has made you feel
this way about teachers.

Where I live, and teach, the vast majority of teachers are hard working,
dedicated professionals. They teach for the love of it, because the crap
pay and respect tossed our way is not enough reason to stay in it.
--
Jim in NC

Matt Barrow
May 5th 06, 01:44 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Matt Barrow" > wrote
>>
>> You could say that about every unionized industry in the past 100 years.
>>
>> The teacher's unions are the newest idiots-at-work.
>
> I feel sorry for you, and the educational institution that has made you
> feel this way about teachers.

If the shoe fits...

But, hey...I've been following the goings on at Chapel Hill down there.

> Where I live, and teach, the vast majority of teachers are hard working,
> dedicated professionals. They teach for the love of it, because the crap
> pay and respect tossed our way is not enough reason to stay in it.

First: nationally, teachers are coming from the bottom quartile of their
class. Second, only a small fraction are teaching classes in areas for which
they have their degrees.

As for the unions, check this and follow the trackbacks:
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/004943.php

And this: http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=7185

I'm sorry for you they did exactly what they intended, which is to make so
many people naive.
(See" Thomas Mann and the beginnings of public education in the US)

alexy
May 5th 06, 06:10 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

>This is cool!
>
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>
>This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
>us have the luxury of avoiding.

Bummer. Sent this to someone, but link no longer works. Did you by any
chance save a copy in your video archives? I probably have a copy in
cache here, but don't know how to get at it.

Matt Barrow
May 5th 06, 07:05 PM
"alexy" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>
>>This is cool!
>>
>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>>
>>This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
>>us have the luxury of avoiding.
>
> Bummer. Sent this to someone, but link no longer works. Did you by any
> chance save a copy in your video archives? I probably have a copy in
> cache here, but don't know how to get at it.
If he didn't, I saved the file; email me at: matt underscore barrow at
qwest dot net and I'll send it to you.

alexy
May 5th 06, 07:09 PM
"Matt Barrow" > wrote:

>"alexy" > wrote in message
>> "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>>
>>>This is cool!
>>>
>>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>>>
>>>This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
>>>us have the luxury of avoiding.
>>
>> Bummer. Sent this to someone, but link no longer works. Did you by any
>> chance save a copy in your video archives? I probably have a copy in
>> cache here, but don't know how to get at it.
>If he didn't, I saved the file; email me at: matt underscore barrow at
>qwest dot net and I'll send it to you.

Thanks. Turned out that they had turned off download privileges for
guests, because of high download activity. I registered and downloaded
it.

Gig 601XL Builder
May 5th 06, 09:21 PM
"alexy" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>
>>This is cool!
>>
>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?N4DC52E0D
>>
>>This really makes you appreciate the kind of crap weather that most of
>>us have the luxury of avoiding.
>
> Bummer. Sent this to someone, but link no longer works. Did you by any
> chance save a copy in your video archives? I probably have a copy in
> cache here, but don't know how to get at it.
> --
> Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
> infrequently.

Here's the URL
<http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4407&d=1146624884>
not made shorter. I just checked it and it was still working.

LWG
May 6th 06, 12:10 PM
I don't know where you were, but I had a chance to be in a GM plant over a
period of years. What I saw was hardly a sweat shop. It was like my
concept of an assembly line, but in slow motion. On the engine line, you
could work ahead several jobs (taking all of about 2 minutes), and then sit
down and read the paper (for about 10 minutes) until those jobs passed you.
I never saw ANYTHING that looked even remotely rushed or even pressing. All
of this for money and benefits in the area of $100,000 per year, with no
educational investment. Of course, this plant is gone now. Those employees
are collecting the same money and benefits for sitting in a "job bank" and
doing cross word puzzles. Is it any wonder?

"Denny" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Once I had fulfilled my
> daily quota, I was told to go hide for the last couple hours of my
> shift.
> ************************************************** ****************************
>
> Yeah, part of what killed GM, etc... AC Delco parts factory in Flint
> was famous for that... A shirt tail relative worked there for 30 years
> - she was TOLD by union reps what days she was not to show up, they
> would punch her in and out...
> OTOH, the final assembly lines were/are demanding... You have to be
> there, every minute is monitored, have to have relief to go to the can,
> etc...
> Anyway, from what I see the package delivery folks are rode hard and
> put away wet...
>
> denny
>
> denny

LWG
May 6th 06, 12:17 PM
You've hit upon the great paradox. The unions protect the wildly
incompetent and undermine the respect we have for the profession. In NYC,
they have only fired one teacher in the last few years. It is so time
consuming and expensive to fire a teacher, they simly reassign the
incompetent to places where they don't have to teach. Were it not for the
unions, teachers would be more highly regarded because they would be more
highly qualified. There is little or no issue of qualification in private
schools, and the teachers command more respect from students and parents.
Of course, in order to go to a private school, one has to pay even more than
the $10,000 per year per student they extract from us in taxes for each
government school pupil.

"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Matt Barrow" > wrote
>>
>> You could say that about every unionized industry in the past 100 years.
>>
>> The teacher's unions are the newest idiots-at-work.
>
> I feel sorry for you, and the educational institution that has made you
> feel this way about teachers.
>
> Where I live, and teach, the vast majority of teachers are hard working,
> dedicated professionals. They teach for the love of it, because the crap
> pay and respect tossed our way is not enough reason to stay in it.
> --
> Jim in NC

Matt Barrow
May 6th 06, 08:31 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Matt Barrow" > wrote
>>
>> You could say that about every unionized industry in the past 100 years.
>>
>> The teacher's unions are the newest idiots-at-work.
>
> I feel sorry for you, and the educational institution that has made you
> feel this way about teachers.
>
> Where I live, and teach, the vast majority of teachers are hard working,
> dedicated professionals.

Yeah? How doyou iknow that? Did they tell you that?

Did they also tell you that because of their academic record they COULD'T GO
ANY WHERE ELSE?

Is that "hard working"`ethic the reason that so many of our Yutes are more
and more academiclly regressed with each passing year?

> They teach for the love of it, because the crap pay and respect tossed
> our way is not enough reason to stay in it.

Yet they stay, and stay. And every year our public indoctrination system
produces worse and worse morons.

You really have to dig a bit beyond the empty platitudes the "teachers" have
been spewing for a few generations now.

.Blueskies.
May 6th 06, 08:47 PM
"LWG" > wrote in message ...
> You've hit upon the great paradox. The unions protect the wildly incompetent and undermine the respect we have for
> the profession. In NYC, they have only fired one teacher in the last few years. It is so time consuming and expensive
> to fire a teacher, they simly reassign the incompetent to places where they don't have to teach. Were it not for the
> unions, teachers would be more highly regarded because they would be more highly qualified. There is little or no
> issue of qualification in private schools, and the teachers command more respect from students and parents. Of course,
> in order to go to a private school, one has to pay even more than the $10,000 per year per student they extract from
> us in taxes for each government school pupil.

and most of the private schools pay the teachers much less than the public schools...

Morgans
May 6th 06, 10:31 PM
"Matt Barrow" > wrote

> You really have to dig a bit beyond the empty platitudes the "teachers"
> have been spewing for a few generations now.

Matt, listening to your **** isn't worth it any more. If you got your head
out of your ass, you would see that the problems in education, are based far
more in the fact that the parents of today place no pressure on the student
to learn, foster no work ethics, and allow teachers and administration no
disciplinary actions that are meaningful.

Plonk. Again.

Sigh.
--
Jim in NC

Matt Barrow
May 7th 06, 01:48 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Matt Barrow" > wrote
>
>> You really have to dig a bit beyond the empty platitudes the "teachers"
>> have been spewing for a few generations now.
>
> Matt, listening to your **** isn't worth it any more. If you got your
> head out of your ass,

Here comes a great example of Jim's head up his ass and the education
establisments ass as well.

>you would see that the problems in education, are based far more in the
>fact that the parents of today place no pressure on the student to learn,
>foster no work ethics, and allow teachers and administration no
>disciplinary actions that are meaningful.

Yes, parental involvement is quite a big factor, yet how come so many
parents have to send their kids to private schools, tutors, home school...

Yes, disciplinary actions are pathetic, but guess who helped establish that
(along side the ACLU).

How come so many parents stopped attending PTA meeting due to being shouted
down and ridiculed by the "educators", many of who are only marginally
literate? Seen the tests scores by teachers?

I don't know who agenda your pushing, or whose ass your kissing, but you're
a prime example of the childish rationalizing that has been part of the
education system since John Dewey. (You do know who he is, don't you?)

Jim, you can play the denial game all you want, but I'd dare say I've done
more research on this _from objective sources_ than you and your kissing the
education establishments ass.

Here's a quiz if you haven't run off to pout:

1) Who is John Dewey and what was his agenda for education?

2) Same question regarding John Rawls.

3) Same question regarding Thomas Mann.

Yes, Jim, someone here is definitely full of **** and he looks...like you.

Matt Barrow
May 7th 06, 01:48 AM
".Blueskies." > wrote in message
om...

> "LWG" > wrote in message
>> You've hit upon the great paradox. The unions protect the wildly
>> incompetent and undermine the respect we have for the profession. In NYC,
>> they have only fired one teacher in the last few years. It is so time
>> consuming and expensive to fire a teacher, they simly reassign the
>> incompetent to places where they don't have to teach. Were it not for
>> the unions, teachers would be more highly regarded because they would be
>> more highly qualified. There is little or no issue of qualification in
>> private schools, and the teachers command more respect from students and
>> parents. Of course, in order to go to a private school, one has to pay
>> even more than the $10,000 per year per student they extract from us in
>> taxes for each government school pupil.
>

> and most of the private schools pay the teachers much less than the public
> schools...
Yup...they can't draw their revenue at gun point.

john smith
May 7th 06, 04:25 PM
> > and most of the private schools pay the teachers much less than the public
> > schools...

> Yup...they can't draw their revenue at gun point.

And here in Ohio, the state teachers union is going to start signing up
the charter school teachers to get them union representation.
They can't get rid of them, so they are recruiting them.

Matt Barrow
May 7th 06, 04:49 PM
"john smith" > wrote in message
>> > and most of the private schools pay the teachers much less than the
>> > public
>> > schools...
>
>> Yup...they can't draw their revenue at gun point.
>
> And here in Ohio, the state teachers union is going to start signing up
> the charter school teachers to get them union representation.
> They can't get rid of them, so they are recruiting them.

The K-9 school (private, not charter) where my kids went was almost
completely staffed with public school ex-patriate teachers. I rather suspect
a recruiting effort there would have resulted in tarring and featherings.

http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=7185 (Is the NEA Really a NUT?)

Is the NEA really a NUT? By asking, I’m not casting aspersions on the
National Education Association’s sanity, just on its choice of name. The NEA’s
British counterpart really is a NUT: It is the National Union of Teachers.
British educators unapologetically acknowledge that their union is a union,
while their American peers cling to a name that belies their organization’s
agenda — literally.

Darkwing
May 8th 06, 10:57 PM
"LWG" > wrote in message
. ..
>I don't know where you were, but I had a chance to be in a GM plant over a
>period of years. What I saw was hardly a sweat shop. It was like my
>concept of an assembly line, but in slow motion. On the engine line, you
>could work ahead several jobs (taking all of about 2 minutes), and then sit
>down and read the paper (for about 10 minutes) until those jobs passed you.
>I never saw ANYTHING that looked even remotely rushed or even pressing.
>All of this for money and benefits in the area of $100,000 per year, with
>no educational investment. Of course, this plant is gone now. Those
>employees are collecting the same money and benefits for sitting in a "job
>bank" and doing cross word puzzles. Is it any wonder?

My mom has a cousin that always bragged about how he never showed up at
Chrysler to work, had others clock him in, slept on the job etc. Well the
plant is now closed and he isn't making crap working some autoparts job.
Who's bragging now?

DW

Google