PDA

View Full Version : AVIATIONTOOLBOX: I've added your approach plates.

Kyler Laird
April 13th 04, 09:08 PM
Thanks to Dennis Megary at MyAirplane.com, I've added the vector
(PDF) approach plates to my collection.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/approaches/

There's a lot that I plan to do with these, but for now I have a
terribly simple kludge for finding them here.
https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/airports

This is all very messy right now but I wanted to make it
available quickly. Plan for it to change.

--kyler

Roy Smith
April 13th 04, 11:07 PM
In article >,
Kyler Laird > wrote:

> Thanks to Dennis Megary at MyAirplane.com, I've added the vector
> (PDF) approach plates to my collection.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/approaches/
>
> There's a lot that I plan to do with these, but for now I have a
> terribly simple kludge for finding them here.
> https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/airports
>
> This is all very messy right now but I wanted to make it
> available quickly. Plan for it to change.
>
> --kyler

Awesome! A truly excellent resource!

Ben Jackson
April 13th 04, 11:10 PM
In article >,
Kyler Laird > wrote:
>Thanks to Dennis Megary at MyAirplane.com, I've added the vector
>(PDF) approach plates to my collection.

Have you worked out the XML someone mentioned was used to index them?
Is there any georeferencing?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Paul Tomblin
April 14th 04, 12:31 AM
In a previous article, (Ben Jackson) said:
>In article >,
>Kyler Laird > wrote:
>>Thanks to Dennis Megary at MyAirplane.com, I've added the vector
>>(PDF) approach plates to my collection.
>
>Have you worked out the XML someone mentioned was used to index them?
>Is there any georeferencing?

Assuming it's the same XML that's on the Sporty's chart viewer DVD, there
isn't a lat-long value for the airport, just a state and chart volume
(EC-1, SW-4, etc). They also have totally screwed up the ICAO ids for
Alaska.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.

Kyler Laird
April 14th 04, 02:08 AM
(Ben Jackson) writes:

>Have you worked out the XML someone mentioned was used to index them?

Yes, I'm stumbling through it with the Python SAX module. Here
is some really bad code that uses it.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/gadflyize.py

>Is there any georeferencing?

No, I haven't noticed any. I thought about it earlier, but I'd be
very surprised if the plates could be reasonably georeferenced
anyway. I recall seeing "not to scale" warnings on some of them.

--kyler

P.S. Anyone know if the flight simulator guys fly IFR? They've
already hit the sectionals pretty hard. (I'm happy they find it
useful. I'm just curious.)

Kyler Laird
April 14th 04, 02:08 AM
(Paul Tomblin) writes:

>>Have you worked out the XML someone mentioned was used to index them?
>>Is there any georeferencing?

>Assuming it's the same XML that's on the Sporty's chart viewer DVD, there
>isn't a lat-long value for the airport,

Oh! Is that all that you want? It's available in the FAA ATA-100
data set.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/ATA-100/
There are coordinates for the reference points and for most of the
runway ends.

--kyler

Paul Tomblin
April 14th 04, 02:27 AM
In a previous article, Kyler Laird > said:
(Paul Tomblin) writes:
>>>Have you worked out the XML someone mentioned was used to index them?
>>>Is there any georeferencing?
>
>>Assuming it's the same XML that's on the Sporty's chart viewer DVD, there
>>isn't a lat-long value for the airport,
>
>Oh! Is that all that you want? It's available in the FAA ATA-100
>data set.

Oh, *I* don't need it, I subscribe to the CD. You know that.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Heaven has all the lusers, a generous supply of larts -

Ben Jackson
April 14th 04, 03:32 AM
In article >,
Kyler Laird > wrote:
>No, I haven't noticed any. I thought about it earlier, but I'd be
>very surprised if the plates could be reasonably georeferenced
>anyway. I recall seeing "not to scale" warnings on some of them.

I've just seen screenshots of Jepp's chartview on the MX20 with the
airplane overlayed on the procedure. So Jepp must have their chart
coordinates electronically.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Kyler Laird
April 14th 04, 05:08 AM
(Ben Jackson) writes:

>>No, I haven't noticed any. I thought about it earlier, but I'd be
>>very surprised if the plates could be reasonably georeferenced
>>anyway. I recall seeing "not to scale" warnings on some of them.

>I've just seen screenshots of Jepp's chartview on the MX20 with the
>airplane overlayed on the procedure. So Jepp must have their chart
>coordinates electronically.

The airport diagrams have nice longitude and latitude lines overlaid
but the approach plates are often a little loose. What would you do
with the squiggly lines by ROGEE here?
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/approaches/current/d-TPP/Published_pdfs/00001R17L.pdf

I'd trust that Jepp has all of the geo data for their own charts but
I doubt it's a simple thing to add back to the FAA/NOS charts. It
sure would be nice though.

--kyler

Brenor Brophy
April 14th 04, 05:27 AM
Very cool, all I've ever been able to get online up to this was poorly
scanned copies of the FAA plates (example the AOPA airport directory). I was
think the FAA still had a building full of draughtsmen carefully drawing the
plates.

-Brenor

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> Thanks to Dennis Megary at MyAirplane.com, I've added the vector
> (PDF) approach plates to my collection.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/approaches/
>
> There's a lot that I plan to do with these, but for now I have a
> terribly simple kludge for finding them here.
> https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/airports
>
> This is all very messy right now but I wanted to make it
> available quickly. Plan for it to change.
>
> --kyler

Richard Russell
April 14th 04, 01:34 PM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:08:33 GMT, Kyler Laird >
wrote:

(Ben Jackson) writes:

>>Have you worked out the XML someone mentioned was used to index them?
>
>Yes, I'm stumbling through it with the Python SAX module. Here
>is some really bad code that uses it.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/gadflyize.py
>
>>Is there any georeferencing?
>
>No, I haven't noticed any. I thought about it earlier, but I'd be
>very surprised if the plates could be reasonably georeferenced
>anyway. I recall seeing "not to scale" warnings on some of them.
>
>--kyler
>
>P.S. Anyone know if the flight simulator guys fly IFR? They've
>already hit the sectionals pretty hard. (I'm happy they find it
>useful. I'm just curious.)

Thanks for this incredible resource. And yes simmers do fly IFR,
including me. I'm a PP-ASEL but not instrument rated. I have taken a
few instrument lessns and read extensively on the subject to insure
that I am using proper procedures when flying IFR on the computer. I
use the sim for GA flight but there are guys that fly airliners all
over the world IFR on the computer.

Rich Russell

Teacherjh
April 14th 04, 02:49 PM

The airport diagrams have nice longitude and latitude lines overlaid
but the approach plates are often a little loose. What would you do
with the squiggly lines by ROGEE here?

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/approaches/current/d-TPP/Published
_pdfs/00001R17L.pdf
<<

I take it to mean that the VOR is not where charted but is in that direction,
just further away.

Jose

Kyler Laird
April 14th 04, 04:08 PM
(Teacherjh) writes:

>The airport diagrams have nice longitude and latitude lines overlaid
>but the approach plates are often a little loose. What would you do
>with the squiggly lines by ROGEE here?

>http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/approaches/current/d-TPP/Published
>_pdfs/00001R17L.pdf
><<

>I take it to mean that the VOR is not where charted but is in that direction,
>just further away.

Sorry, I assumed people in this group would know that. I should have
been clearer. Yes, that is what the squiggly lines mean.

--kyler

Wizard of Draws
April 15th 04, 03:11 AM
On 4/13/04 4:08 PM, in article , "Kyler
Laird" > wrote:

> Thanks to Dennis Megary at MyAirplane.com, I've added the vector
> (PDF) approach plates to my collection.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/approaches/
>
> There's a lot that I plan to do with these, but for now I have a
> terribly simple kludge for finding them here.
> https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/airports
>
> This is all very messy right now but I wanted to make it
> available quickly. Plan for it to change.
>
> --kyler

Kyler,

Personally, I think this is very cool of you to do, but the approach plates
are already online at:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp
Of course AOPA is also doing it, but the quality of their product leaves a
bit to be desired.
I'm not quite sure why you are taking on the expense and trouble of
providing this service? For free no less.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Paul Tomblin
April 15th 04, 03:18 AM
In a previous article, Wizard of Draws > said:
>Personally, I think this is very cool of you to do, but the approach plates
>are already online at:
>http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

I don't see an option there to download the whole set of TPPs. I guess
I'll have to subscribe to the Sporty's DVD.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Exploit is announced.

Tom Sixkiller
April 15th 04, 03:35 AM
"Wizard of Draws" > wrote in message
news:BCA36781.AF8C%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraws .com...

> Personally, I think this is very cool of you to do, but the approach
plates
> are already online at:
> http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

That site does not have the entire set.

Tom Sixkiller
April 15th 04, 03:43 AM
"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> In a previous article, Wizard of Draws
> said:
> >Personally, I think this is very cool of you to do, but the approach
plates
> >are already online at:
> >http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp
>
> I don't see an option there to download the whole set of TPPs. I guess
> I'll have to subscribe to the Sporty's DVD.

MyAirplane.com has the entire DVD for $11 plus $3 SH

Paul Tomblin
April 15th 04, 12:13 PM
In a previous article, "Tom Sixkiller" > said:
>"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
>> I don't see an option there to download the whole set of TPPs. I guess
>> I'll have to subscribe to the Sporty's DVD.
>>
>MyAirplane.com has the entire DVD for $11 plus $3 SH

Sportys has it for $9.95, and they give a 5% discount when I use my AOPA
credit card.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"As Canadian as possible, under the circumstances"

Kyler Laird
April 15th 04, 01:08 PM
Wizard of Draws > writes:

>but the approach plates
>are already online at:
>http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Can you find this file on there?
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/plates/current/d-TPP/xml/digTPP_hier_All_Watt.xml
If so, yes, I/we could easily do updates from the FAA site.

Sure, I could dig without it but it would get messy.

For now I'll just change my utility to point at their PDF files for
the simple links.

Thank you.

--kyler

Kyler Laird
April 18th 04, 07:08 PM
Wizard of Draws > writes:

>I'm not quite sure why you are taking on the expense and trouble of
>providing this service?

I want to be able to easily experiment with the files.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/plates_by_state/

>For free no less.

The value that a data collection like this offers me is sharply lower
if I'm not free to do what I want with it. I assume that there are
others who want the same thing - tools to help them innovate, not
interfaces/licenses that restrict them to predefined usages.

--kyler

Wizard of Draws
April 19th 04, 12:02 AM
On 4/18/04 2:08 PM, in article , "Kyler
Laird" > wrote:

> Wizard of Draws > writes:
>
>> I'm not quite sure why you are taking on the expense and trouble of
>> providing this service?
>
> I want to be able to easily experiment with the files.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/plates_by_state/
>
>> For free no less.
>
> The value that a data collection like this offers me is sharply lower
> if I'm not free to do what I want with it. I assume that there are
> others who want the same thing - tools to help them innovate, not
> interfaces/licenses that restrict them to predefined usages.
>
> --kyler

I understand. A tip of my hat to you for your efforts. I appreciate it.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
www.wizardofdraws.com