PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace the KNS-80

Roger
June 1st 06, 12:56 AM
Well it looks like it's about time to replace the old KNS-80 RNAV.
That thing has had a lot of use, it's getting old, and it's been in
the shop a number of times.

Currently the frequency selector appears to need cleaning, but I'm not
sure how long it has left.

So, I'm looking into a certified GPS that will fill the hole left by
the KNS-80. It's also going to need to drive the GS/Localizer head.
Not being current on GPSs I see what appear to be a number that would
probably work.

Any socially acceptable suggestions?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dan Luke
June 1st 06, 02:33 AM
"Roger" wrote:

> Well it looks like it's about time to replace the old KNS-80 RNAV.
> That thing has had a lot of use, it's getting old, and it's been in
> the shop a number of times.
>
> Currently the frequency selector appears to need cleaning, but I'm not
> sure how long it has left.
>
> So, I'm looking into a certified GPS that will fill the hole left by
> the KNS-80. It's also going to need to drive the GS/Localizer head.
> Not being current on GPSs I see what appear to be a number that would
> probably work.
>
> Any socially acceptable suggestions?

I presume you want to use it for RNAV approaches.

A used Garmin 430 is probably your best bet. There are cheaper IFR GPS's
available, but they require external annunciators that are costly to install
and they don't include VOR/LOC or the nice COM radio built into the 430.
You are going to have to buy a CDI for the GPS anyway, so you might as well
get one with a glide slope and hook it to the 430.

If you look around, you might find a GPS-only Garmin 400 for less money.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

June 1st 06, 04:24 AM
You might consider picking up a used KNS-80. I have seen many for sale
on eBay -
some yellow tagged. You can probably get a nice one for $500 - $750. I
bought one
to replace my old unit - which was not economically repairable - and
have been happy with it.

David Johnson

karl gruber
June 1st 06, 05:12 AM
Without question, a Garmin 430. I recently saw an avionics shop ad for
$7900, installed, including the required GI-106A.

Best,
Karl

"Roger" > wrote in message
> Well it looks like it's about time to replace the old KNS-80 RNAV.
> That thing has had a lot of use, it's getting old, and it's been in
> the shop a number of times.
>
> Currently the frequency selector appears to need cleaning, but I'm not
> sure how long it has left.
>
> So, I'm looking into a certified GPS that will fill the hole left by
> the KNS-80. It's also going to need to drive the GS/Localizer head.
> Not being current on GPSs I see what appear to be a number that would
> probably work.
>
> Any socially acceptable suggestions?
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com

DL
June 1st 06, 04:06 PM
Roger, I imagine that your KNS-80 is currently coupled to a Bendix/King
KI-206 VOR/ILS indicator/resolver. If so, I think it is true that the
Garmin 430 will drive this indicator, without the need for replacing the
indicator.

DL

"karl gruber" > wrote in message
> Without question, a Garmin 430. I recently saw an avionics shop ad for
> $7900, installed, including the required GI-106A.
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> "Roger" > wrote in message
>> Well it looks like it's about time to replace the old KNS-80 RNAV.
>> That thing has had a lot of use, it's getting old, and it's been in
>> the shop a number of times.
>>
>> Currently the frequency selector appears to need cleaning, but I'm not
>> sure how long it has left.
>>
>> So, I'm looking into a certified GPS that will fill the hole left by
>> the KNS-80. It's also going to need to drive the GS/Localizer head.
>> Not being current on GPSs I see what appear to be a number that would
>> probably work.
>>
>> Any socially acceptable suggestions?
>>
>> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>> www.rogerhalstead.com

Roger
June 3rd 06, 05:08 AM
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:06:53 GMT, "DL"
> wrote:

>Roger, I imagine that your KNS-80 is currently coupled to a Bendix/King
>KI-206 VOR/ILS indicator/resolver. If so, I think it is true that the
>Garmin 430 will drive this indicator, without the need for replacing the
>indicator.

Yes, it is.

I also have the S-Tec 50 coupled to the KNS-80 and would hope it's
possible to do that with the 430 or what ever I end up using.

I keep thinking that they will be replacing the 430 with something
newer and more flexible, or just different. It has been out long
enough for something else to be coming along.

Thanks all,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>DL
>
>"karl gruber" > wrote in message
>> Without question, a Garmin 430. I recently saw an avionics shop ad for
>> $7900, installed, including the required GI-106A.
>>
>> Best,
>> Karl
>>

>> "Roger" > wrote in message
>>> Well it looks like it's about time to replace the old KNS-80 RNAV.
>>> That thing has had a lot of use, it's getting old, and it's been in
>>> the shop a number of times.
>>>
>>> Currently the frequency selector appears to need cleaning, but I'm not
>>> sure how long it has left.
>>>
>>> So, I'm looking into a certified GPS that will fill the hole left by
>>> the KNS-80. It's also going to need to drive the GS/Localizer head.
>>> Not being current on GPSs I see what appear to be a number that would
>>> probably work.
>>>
>>> Any socially acceptable suggestions?
>>>
>>> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>>> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>>> www.rogerhalstead.com

Ron Rosenfeld
June 3rd 06, 12:33 PM
On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:56:17 -0400, Roger
> wrote:

>Well it looks like it's about time to replace the old KNS-80 RNAV.
>That thing has had a lot of use, it's getting old, and it's been in
>the shop a number of times.
>
>Currently the frequency selector appears to need cleaning, but I'm not
>sure how long it has left.
>
>So, I'm looking into a certified GPS that will fill the hole left by
>the KNS-80. It's also going to need to drive the GS/Localizer head.
>Not being current on GPSs I see what appear to be a number that would
>probably work.
>
>Any socially acceptable suggestions?
>
>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>www.rogerhalstead.com

The GNS480 is currently WAAS enabled under TSO146. It also has airways in
the database that you can conveniently use for entering flight plans,
unlike the 430 or 530.

Since it is under TSO146, there are some other advantages vs. the TSO129
(non-WAAS units). These are mentioned in the AIM.

Doug
June 3rd 06, 09:03 PM
I agree. If I were to install a certified IFR GPS right now, it would
be the 480. Having vertical guidance on GPS approaches is pretty neat
and its the only one that will do it.

Ron Rosenfeld
June 4th 06, 10:49 AM
On 3 Jun 2006 13:03:13 -0700, "Doug" > wrote:

>I agree. If I were to install a certified IFR GPS right now, it would
>be the 480. Having vertical guidance on GPS approaches is pretty neat
>and its the only one that will do it.

Yes, that is really a neat feature, even on the LNAV approaches.
Unfortunately, living about as far east as one can get and still be in the
US, it's not been available at my local airport (KEPM) since they started
fu^H^H moving satellite 122 to the west. I can't receive the WAAS bird
well enough for an acceptable VPL below about 1500'MSL. (I did have it for
a few months, before they started to move it).

Hopefully, the planned satellite launch in October will take place, and
restore a satisfactory signal here.

And it's not the military. From what I've read, this particular WAAS
signal comes from a privately leased satellite, and the owners decided to
move it west.

Dave Butler
June 5th 06, 01:55 PM
Roger wrote:

> I keep thinking that they will be replacing the 430 with something
> newer and more flexible, or just different. It has been out long
> enough for something else to be coming along.

Nobody knows what "they" are doing or planning to do, but you can replace yours
with a GNS480. Way ahead of the 430 IMO.

Roger
June 7th 06, 08:39 PM
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 07:33:58 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:56:17 -0400, Roger
> wrote:
>
>>Well it looks like it's about time to replace the old KNS-80 RNAV.
>>That thing has had a lot of use, it's getting old, and it's been in
>>the shop a number of times.
>>
>>Currently the frequency selector appears to need cleaning, but I'm not
>>sure how long it has left.
>>
>>So, I'm looking into a certified GPS that will fill the hole left by
>>the KNS-80. It's also going to need to drive the GS/Localizer head.
>>Not being current on GPSs I see what appear to be a number that would
>>probably work.
>>
>>Any socially acceptable suggestions?
>>
>>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>>www.rogerhalstead.com
>
>The GNS480 is currently WAAS enabled under TSO146. It also has airways in
>the database that you can conveniently use for entering flight plans,
>unlike the 430 or 530.
>
>Since it is under TSO146, there are some other advantages vs. the TSO129
>(non-WAAS units). These are mentioned in the AIM.

Thanks all for the info on the 480. If the KNS-80 has bitten the dust
for the last time I'm pretty sure I'll go that route instead of
picking up another KNS-80.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Ron (EPM) (N5843Q, Mooney M20E) (CP, ASEL, ASES, IA)

Google