PDA

View Full Version : suggestions/ plans for simple inexpensive hangar space?

TJ400
June 8th 06, 04:42 PM
Hopefully in the next year or so, my PA22 to Sportsman 2+2 conversion
will be ready for flight. Has anyone have plans or ideas for a simple
but dry and functional hangar space..

Really just want to keep it out of the weather with nothing fancy and
only enough room for the plane and room to do minor maint.

T hanger? Full hangar? Header construction/ideas?

all new to me..

thanks in advance.. tj.

john smith
June 8th 06, 05:08 PM
In article . com>,
"TJ400" > wrote:

> Hopefully in the next year or so, my PA22 to Sportsman 2+2 conversion
> will be ready for flight. Has anyone have plans or ideas for a simple
> but dry and functional hangar space..
>
> Really just want to keep it out of the weather with nothing fancy and
> only enough room for the plane and room to do minor maint.
>
> T hanger? Full hangar? Header construction/ideas?
> all new to me..
> thanks in advance.. tj.

Our flying club built a "pole barn" hangar, dirt floor, without a door
for 3 AMU's. I will email drawings if interested.

June 8th 06, 05:33 PM
john smith wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "TJ400" > wrote:
>
> > Hopefully in the next year or so, my PA22 to Sportsman 2+2 conversion
> > will be ready for flight. Has anyone have plans or ideas for a simple
> > but dry and functional hangar space..
> >
> > Really just want to keep it out of the weather with nothing fancy and
> > only enough room for the plane and room to do minor maint.
> >
> > T hanger? Full hangar? Header construction/ideas?
> > all new to me..
> > thanks in advance.. tj.
>
> Our flying club built a "pole barn" hangar, dirt floor, without a door
> for 3 AMU's. I will email drawings if interested.

A pole barn is hard to beat for ecoomy and utility. You might
consider beefing up one or two roof trusses so that you can use
a block and tackle or chainfall for an engine hoist.

The rafter space in the joists is also great for storing _light_
stuff.

--

FF

A lot of airplane stuff for sale here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.marketplace/msg/f3d8c45c1ae06e6c?dmode=source&hl=en

TJ400
June 8th 06, 08:10 PM
john smith wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "TJ400" > wrote:
>
> > Hopefully in the next year or so, my PA22 to Sportsman 2+2 conversion
> > will be ready for flight. Has anyone have plans or ideas for a simple
> > but dry and functional hangar space..
> >
> > Really just want to keep it out of the weather with nothing fancy and
> > only enough room for the plane and room to do minor maint.
> >
> > T hanger? Full hangar? Header construction/ideas?
> > all new to me..
> > thanks in advance.. tj.
>
> Our flying club built a "pole barn" hangar, dirt floor, without a door
> for 3 AMU's. I will email drawings if interested.

would you kindly email drawings please?... not real familiar with a
pole barn... I too wasn't counting on installing a door either..

email address is

thanks very much..

tj

Montblack
June 8th 06, 08:25 PM
("john smith" wrote)
>> Hopefully in the next year or so, my PA22 to Sportsman 2+2 conversion
>> will be ready for flight. Has anyone have plans or ideas for a simple but
>> dry and functional hangar space..

> Our flying club built a "pole barn" hangar, dirt floor, without a door for
> 3 AMU's. I will email drawings if interested.

Maybe not for the Sportsman 2+2, but....

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O3CD25B3D
$650 Hangar/Shed - Yahoo Photos (21 pics)

Built by one of our EAA chapter members:

For Sale (Sold)
"Zenair Zodiac 601HDS, taildragger, 45 hrs TTSN, 110 HP
Subaru engine, 3 bladed Warp Drive prop, trailered with
custom trailer included."

Now the Hangar/Shed must go, too.

Montblack

Morgans
June 8th 06, 08:28 PM
> wrote

> A pole barn is hard to beat for ecoomy and utility.

Agreed.

> You might
> consider beefing up one or two roof trusses so that you can use
> a block and tackle or chainfall for an engine hoist.

Naah. You never beef up the ones in the right place. <g>

Really, if you put a stiffback (a couple 2 x 8's and a 2 x 4, nailed
together to make a "U") across 3 or 4 of the trusses (to share the load) a
temporary hoist of even a considerable weight will not damage the trusses,
at all.
--
Jim in NC

Tater Schuld
June 8th 06, 08:40 PM
arg, every time I need to find the link for this, it takes me a good 20
minutes of googling to find it.

I believe you can go to this website and find free plans that can fit your
needs, or at least give you an idea to modify the plans that are there to
fit them

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/

hundreds of plans, all of them free. if you want them printed they cost, but
the pdfs that are available are worth looking at.

originally look at them for a homebuilding shop/hangar. eventually I am
deciding on just tossing money at it and letting some pole building people
do it instead. less time and effort on my part, and it shouldn't increase my
debt considerably

"TJ400" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hopefully in the next year or so, my PA22 to Sportsman 2+2 conversion
> will be ready for flight. Has anyone have plans or ideas for a simple
> but dry and functional hangar space..
>
> Really just want to keep it out of the weather with nothing fancy and
> only enough room for the plane and room to do minor maint.
>
> T hanger? Full hangar? Header construction/ideas?
>
> all new to me..
>
> thanks in advance.. tj.

Drew Dalgleish
June 8th 06, 09:27 PM
On 8 Jun 2006 12:10:44 -0700, "TJ400" > wrote:

>john smith wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> "TJ400" > wrote:
>>
>> > Hopefully in the next year or so, my PA22 to Sportsman 2+2 conversion
>> > will be ready for flight. Has anyone have plans or ideas for a simple
>> > but dry and functional hangar space..
>> >
>> > Really just want to keep it out of the weather with nothing fancy and
>> > only enough room for the plane and room to do minor maint.
>> >
>> > T hanger? Full hangar? Header construction/ideas?
>> > all new to me..
>> > thanks in advance.. tj.
>>
>> Our flying club built a "pole barn" hangar, dirt floor, without a door
>> for 3 AMU's. I will email drawings if interested.
>

>would you kindly email drawings please?... not real familiar with a
>pole barn... I too wasn't counting on installing a door either..
>
>email address is
>
>thanks very much..
>
>tj

It depends where you live and the local building codes. Do you need to
take snow loads into consideration? A pole barn is just some poles
buried in the ground with a wood beam around the top to support the
roof trusses. nail 2x4s horizontaly between the poles to give support
for the steel siding. It doesn't cost much more to build a full hangar
instesd of a T and you will always be able to find stuff to fill the
corners.

TJ400
June 8th 06, 10:14 PM
> It depends where you live and the local building codes. Do you need to
> take snow loads into consideration? A pole barn is just some poles
> buried in the ground with a wood beam around the top to support the
> roof trusses. nail 2x4s horizontaly between the poles to give support
> for the steel siding. It doesn't cost much more to build a full hangar
> instesd of a T and you will always be able to find stuff to fill the
> corners.

Yes snow load is a concern... I live in Manitoba Canada..

thanks

Drew Dalgleish
June 9th 06, 12:31 AM
On 8 Jun 2006 14:14:22 -0700, "TJ400" > wrote:

>> It depends where you live and the local building codes. Do you need to
>> take snow loads into consideration? A pole barn is just some poles
>> buried in the ground with a wood beam around the top to support the
>> roof trusses. nail 2x4s horizontaly between the poles to give support
>> for the steel siding. It doesn't cost much more to build a full hangar
>> instesd of a T and you will always be able to find stuff to fill the
>> corners.
>

>Yes snow load is a concern... I live in Manitoba Canada..
>
>thanks

One good thing about being in Canada is you don't need a building
permit to build a hangar at an airport cuz airports are federally
regulated. If your local building inspector tries to tell you
otherwise just sic COPA on him. You still have to build to accepted
standards though.

Google