PDA

View Full Version : Clear and Amber window for KY197

Roger
June 11th 06, 01:12 AM
The display window for the KY197 Com consists of two pieces of
plastic. The front piece is clear with just three labels on it. "use,
standby, and comm". The back piece is of a light amber color and
matches the front piece for shape and has a black mask to hide
everything behind the window except the readout.

Some where in the history of the radio, it has either:

1. Been cleaned with a solvent

2. Had someone try to glue the two pieces together

3. The two pieces were glued together and heat caused them to
separate

At any rate the radio works fine and looks good except for the
internal distortion in the window. I'd like to replace that window.
Being old, purchasing a new panel/faceplate would cost more than the
radio is worth.

Any one know where I can find the amber colored plastic. I can
probably make the one out of clear and add the lettering. OTOH I
probably could, using Plexiglas glue fit the two together so the
distortion doesn't show. However I'm unwilling to try something that
drastic without having a "back up" in case it doesn't work.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Michael Ware
June 11th 06, 01:21 AM
"Roger" > wrote in message
> The display window for the KY197 Com consists of two pieces of
> plastic. The front piece is clear with just three labels on it. "use,
> standby, and comm". The back piece is of a light amber color and
> matches the front piece for shape and has a black mask to hide
> everything behind the window except the readout.
>
> Some where in the history of the radio, it has either:
>
> 1. Been cleaned with a solvent
>
> 2. Had someone try to glue the two pieces together
>
> 3. The two pieces were glued together and heat caused them to
> separate
>
> At any rate the radio works fine and looks good except for the
> internal distortion in the window. I'd like to replace that window.
> Being old, purchasing a new panel/faceplate would cost more than the
> radio is worth.
>
> Any one know where I can find the amber colored plastic. I can
> probably make the one out of clear and add the lettering. OTOH I
> probably could, using Plexiglas glue fit the two together so the
> distortion doesn't show. However I'm unwilling to try something that
> drastic without having a "back up" in case it doesn't work.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com

One of two places, get in the yellow pages and look under 'plastics
distributors', most shops sell leftover scraps for cheap. Also, you may have
some luck with a good hobby shop for various kinds of clear plastic sheet.

Mke

J. Severyn
June 11th 06, 04:58 AM
"Roger" > wrote in message

> Any one know where I can find the amber colored plastic. I can
> probably make the one out of clear and add the lettering. OTOH I
> probably could, using Plexiglas glue fit the two together so the
> distortion doesn't show. However I'm unwilling to try something that
> drastic without having a "back up" in case it doesn't work.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com

TAP Plastics
http://www.tapplastics.com/aa/pinfo/acrylite_pantone.pdf
http://www.tapplastics.com/info/acrylic.php?
Acrylite GP

It comes in most colors of the rainbow.

Regards,
John Severyn
@KLVK

Roger
June 11th 06, 09:15 AM
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:58:29 -0700, "J. Severyn"
> wrote:

>"Roger" > wrote in message
>>
>> Any one know where I can find the amber colored plastic. I can
>> probably make the one out of clear and add the lettering. OTOH I
>> probably could, using Plexiglas glue fit the two together so the
>> distortion doesn't show. However I'm unwilling to try something that
>> drastic without having a "back up" in case it doesn't work.
>>
>> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>> www.rogerhalstead.com
>>

>TAP Plastics
>http://www.tapplastics.com/aa/pinfo/acrylite_pantone.pdf
>http://www.tapplastics.com/info/acrylic.php?
>Acrylite GP

Thanks,

They have it in sheets 2' X 4' at roughly $40 USD plus over size
shipping. It still beats a couple hundred for the panel/face plate.

I'm going to try and come up with some about a foot square. That'd be
enough to do about a dozen radios. <:-))

Thanks again,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>It comes in most colors of the rainbow.
>
>Regards,
>John Severyn
>@KLVK

J. Severyn
June 11th 06, 09:57 AM
"Roger" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:58:29 -0700, "J. Severyn"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Roger" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Any one know where I can find the amber colored plastic. I can
>>> probably make the one out of clear and add the lettering. OTOH I
>>> probably could, using Plexiglas glue fit the two together so the
>>> distortion doesn't show. However I'm unwilling to try something that
>>> drastic without having a "back up" in case it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>>> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>>> www.rogerhalstead.com
>>>

>>TAP Plastics
>>http://www.tapplastics.com/aa/pinfo/acrylite_pantone.pdf
>>http://www.tapplastics.com/info/acrylic.php?
>>Acrylite GP
>
> Thanks,
>
> They have it in sheets 2' X 4' at roughly $40 USD plus over size
> shipping. It still beats a couple hundred for the panel/face plate.
>
> I'm going to try and come up with some about a foot square. That'd be
> enough to do about a dozen radios. <:-))
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com
>

>>It comes in most colors of the rainbow.
>>
>>Regards,
>>John Severyn
>>@KLVK

TAP normally has much smaller pieces from other jobs for sale (from custom
work done on site). It might take a phone call to snag a smaller piece, but
usually you can buy anything from a few square inches to a truckload.

John Severyn
@klvk

Roger
June 11th 06, 10:56 PM
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 01:57:35 -0700, "J. Severyn"
> wrote:

>"Roger" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:58:29 -0700, "J. Severyn"
>> > wrote:

>>>TAP Plastics
>>>http://www.tapplastics.com/aa/pinfo/acrylite_pantone.pdf
>>>http://www.tapplastics.com/info/acrylic.php?
>>>Acrylite GP
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> They have it in sheets 2' X 4' at roughly $40 USD plus over size
>> shipping. It still beats a couple hundred for the panel/face plate.
>>
>> I'm going to try and come up with some about a foot square. That'd be
>> enough to do about a dozen radios. <:-))
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>> www.rogerhalstead.com
>>

>>>It comes in most colors of the rainbow.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>John Severyn
>>>@KLVK
>>>

>TAP normally has much smaller pieces from other jobs for sale (from custom
>work done on site). It might take a phone call to snag a smaller piece, but
>usually you can buy anything from a few square inches to a truckload.

I already received a not back from them that they don't stock the
transparent amber in 1/16" thickness. I may have to put the thin
piece between to pieces of clear.

I'll give them a call during business hours tomorrow.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>John Severyn
>@klvk