PDA

View Full Version : acronym help!

Kobra
June 16th 06, 07:45 PM
Flyer,

Ok...you all got me. I've been reading several posts and a very frequent
acronym is being toss about quite liberally that I have never heard before.
It is "AMU" and "AMU's". It is usually used when speaking about money in
some way. What the heck is this? Atomic Mass Unit, American Monetary Unit,
Aircraft Maintenance Unit...what?

Isn't there a website to look up such information. I found one, but it had
no idea either.

Kobra

Mark Hansen
June 16th 06, 08:14 PM
On 06/16/06 11:45, Kobra wrote:
> Flyer,
>
> Ok...you all got me. I've been reading several posts and a very frequent
> acronym is being toss about quite liberally that I have never heard before.
> It is "AMU" and "AMU's". It is usually used when speaking about money in
> some way. What the heck is this? Atomic Mass Unit, American Monetary Unit,
> Aircraft Maintenance Unit...what?

Aviation Monetary Unit. It makes it easier to talk about the costs involved
an Aviation. 9.3 AMUs seems easier to swallow than $9,300 ;-)

I don't think it matters what the underlying currency is (USD, Pounds, Euros,
etc.) as the same divide by 1000 is used in all cases.

> Isn't there a website to look up such information. I found one, but it had
> no idea either.
>
> Kobra

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

Peter R.
June 16th 06, 11:47 PM
Kobra > wrote:

> Ok...you all got me. I've been reading several posts and a very frequent
> acronym is being toss about quite liberally that I have never heard before.
> It is "AMU" and "AMU's".

It is a convenient method for hiding the true cost of aviation from
less-than-suspecting wives. ;-)

--
Peter

Dave
June 17th 06, 02:24 AM
Like Peter and Mike said!...

And if you EVER see the definition of "AMU" on a website, book or
ANYWHERE it might be seen and understood by the WRONG people...

NUKE / ERASE / DEFACE / RIP OUT.....WHATEVER!

This information must NEVER get into the wrong hands!!

Seriously! It would place relationships that have YEARS invested in
serious danger!

Dave

.....do I need a "smiley" here? ..... nah!

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:47:03 -0400, "Peter R." >
wrote:

>Kobra > wrote:
>
>> Ok...you all got me. I've been reading several posts and a very frequent
>> acronym is being toss about quite liberally that I have never heard before.
>> It is "AMU" and "AMU's".
>
>It is a convenient method for hiding the true cost of aviation from
>less-than-suspecting wives. ;-)

Jon Kraus
June 17th 06, 12:32 PM
Aviation Monetary Unit. 1 AMU = $1000

I got the term from the Mooney owners email list I participate in. There
used to be an arcronym lsit somewhee on the aviatin.com list but I
couldn't find it.

I helps when talking to the wife about something expensive... "that darn
fuel control servo was 2 AMU's!!" :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

Kobra wrote:
> Flyer,
>
> Ok...you all got me. I've been reading several posts and a very frequent
> acronym is being toss about quite liberally that I have never heard before.
> It is "AMU" and "AMU's". It is usually used when speaking about money in
> some way. What the heck is this? Atomic Mass Unit, American Monetary Unit,
> Aircraft Maintenance Unit...what?
>
> Isn't there a website to look up such information. I found one, but it had
> no idea either.
>
> Kobra

Jon Kraus
June 17th 06, 12:34 PM
Corrected spelling of my previous post:

Aviation Monetary Unit. 1 AMU = $1000

I got the term from the Mooney owners email list I participate in. There
used to be an arcronym list somewhere on the aviating.com sight but I
couldn't find it.

It helps when talking to the wife about something expensive... "that darn
fuel control servo was 2 AMU's!!" :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

> Kobra wrote:
>
>> Flyer,
>>
>> Ok...you all got me. I've been reading several posts and a very
>> frequent acronym is being toss about quite liberally that I have never
>> heard before. It is "AMU" and "AMU's". It is usually used when
>> speaking about money in some way. What the heck is this? Atomic Mass
>> Unit, American Monetary Unit, Aircraft Maintenance Unit...what?
>>
>> Isn't there a website to look up such information. I found one, but
>> it had no idea either.
>>
>> Kobra

Jon Kraus
June 17th 06, 12:35 PM
Aviation Monetary Unit. 1 AMU = $1000

I got the term from the Mooney owners email list I participate in. There
used to be an acronym list somewhere on the aviating.com sight but I

Kobra wrote:

> Flyer,
>
> Ok...you all got me. I've been reading several posts and a very frequent
> acronym is being toss about quite liberally that I have never heard before.
> It is "AMU" and "AMU's". It is usually used when speaking about money in
> some way. What the heck is this? Atomic Mass Unit, American Monetary Unit,
> Aircraft Maintenance Unit...what?
>
> Isn't there a website to look up such information. I found one, but it had
> no idea either.
>
> Kobra

Google