PDA

View Full Version : KBED hangar rates going up up up up (Massachusetts)

Bob Noel
June 28th 06, 01:17 AM
After a 50% t-hangar rate increa$e ~July 2003, followed by a mere 10% increa$e
Feb 2005, Ma$$port i$ once again raising rate$. Thi$ time they are gouging
u$ for 20%, with the rate up to $606/month beginning 1 Aug.

The J row went from $353/month to $459/month to $505/month to $606/month.

If there was any doubt about massport being bugsmasher-hostile...

Oh, and they want to add a $100 non-refundable fee to be on the waiting list
for a hangar, renewable every two years. cute. real cute.

And, yeah, I'm going to dump the t-hangar, saving the 5+ AMU per year.
I can get a tie-down for $50/month. Having a hangar is nice, but no way
is it worth that much.

Bottomline: stay away from KBED. there are plenty of other much
friendlier airports in Eastern Massachusetts.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Ron Natalie
June 28th 06, 01:56 AM
Bob Noel wrote:

> Oh, and they want to add a $100 non-refundable fee to be on the waiting list
> for a hangar, renewable every two years. cute. real cute.

One local airport decided to enact a "one month's rent" deposit to be
on the waiting list. Of course, they didn't bother to ask those on
the waiting list to pay this but rather just kicked everybody off who
didn't pay attention and pay (this is despite them calling around during
the previous months asking if you still wanted to be on it).

Of course one can argue, if there is any waiting list, the hangar rents
are too low :-)

Peter R.
June 28th 06, 02:08 AM
Bob Noel > wrote:

> The J row went from $353/month to $459/month to $505/month to $606/month.

That's a tough pill to swallow. You have my condolences.

As insurance premiums and waiting lists dictate, I suspect that there will
be many other airports here in the US that follow Bedford's lead in the
next five years or so.

--
Peter

kontiki
June 28th 06, 02:40 AM
Then move out. Here in south Georgia our T hangars rent for $150 a month
(to be fair we may have to go up $20 a month next year, but they have been
$150/month for the last 10 years).

Its time for another tea party.

Peter R. wrote:

> Bob Noel > wrote:
>

>>The J row went from $353/month to $459/month to $505/month to $606/month.
>

> That's a tough pill to swallow. You have my condolences.
>
> As insurance premiums and waiting lists dictate, I suspect that there will
> be many other airports here in the US that follow Bedford's lead in the
> next five years or so.

Bob Noel
June 28th 06, 02:54 AM
In article >,
Ron Natalie > wrote:

[snip]
> Of course one can argue, if there is any waiting list, the hangar rents
> are too low :-)

Even though there is no longer any waiting list for a tie-down, ma$$port is
also raising tie-down rates. Absolutely no discussion of lowering
those rates. (at one time there was a waiting list for tie-downs).

So much for the waiting-list-justifies-rate-increases load of BS
from massport.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Bob Noel
June 28th 06, 02:58 AM
In article >,
kontiki > wrote:

> Then move out.

I'm going to.

>Here in south Georgia our T hangars rent for $150 a month
> (to be fair we may have to go up $20 a month next year, but they have been
> $150/month for the last 10 years).

Maybe Ma$$port should look to see how your airport could afford such "low"
rates when Ma$$port is claiming that the t-hangar rates don't pay for
t-hangar expenses at KBED.

Actually, yeah, I think I'll toss that grenade onto the table at the next tenant
meeting. What airport? It'll be fun to watch them squirm and tap-dance.
(In the end I know they'll stiff arm me, but what the heck, I'm fed up with
ma$$port).

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Kyle Boatright
June 28th 06, 03:27 AM
"Peter R." > wrote in message
> Bob Noel > wrote:
>
>> The J row went from $353/month to $459/month to $505/month to $606/month.
>
> That's a tough pill to swallow. You have my condolences.
>
> As insurance premiums and waiting lists dictate, I suspect that there will
> be many other airports here in the US that follow Bedford's lead in the
> next five years or so.
>
> --
> Peter

I wouldn't expect a big change in hangar or tie-down costs unless you're
based near a population center which is growing extremely rapidly and where
there is a substantial amount of discretionary income. In those areas (I
live in one - Atlanta), the close-in airports are well into a changeover
process where they are intentionally running off spam-cans and rolling out
the red carpet for the corporate crowd. I've got no problem with corporate
GA, but I do have a problem with FBO's (who are typically a government
selected monopoly) consistantly pooping on the little guy - the same guy
who's faithfully helped keep them in business for decades.

Other than the areas with rapid population growth, hangars and ramp space
are relatively plentiful and cheap, 'cause there are fewer and fewer planes
and pilots as old pilots get out of the game and aircraft are attritted
through accidents, prohibitively expensive repairs, and other causes. I
think we're facing a future in "Light GA" where there will be a significant
reduction in the number of airfields and FBO's supporting us in the next
decade or two. That creates a death spiral of sorts, because the thing
that makes GA useful is that almost every little town has an airstrip. When
that ends, so does much of the utility, and even more pilots will walk away.

Peter R.
June 28th 06, 01:04 PM
Kyle Boatright > wrote:

> I wouldn't expect a big change in hangar or tie-down costs unless you're
> based near a population center which is growing extremely rapidly and where
> there is a substantial amount of discretionary income.

Good point, but I am even thinking of the smaller, class C airports serving
the smaller cities of the US. Consider that there are only two FBOs at my
home airport of Syrause, NT, and both have two sets of t-hangars and two
large, communal hangars. The waiting list for either type of hangar at
both of these FBOs is long as well.

To me it is just a matter of time before either FBO management raises the
hangar fees easily 20-50% and, in doing so, not lose 100% occupancy. After
all, they are the only game in our town and there are no comparable
airports in the direction of the wealthier suburbs for 50 nm or more.

--
Peter

Peter R.
June 28th 06, 02:36 PM
"Peter R." > wrote:

> Syrause, NT,

I have no idea how this slipped by the editor. ;) "Syracuse, NY"

--
Peter

Ray Andraka
June 28th 06, 03:22 PM
Bob Noel wrote:

Don't you wish you could get away with a monopoly like that?

I know massport won't allow private hangars on their airport, or even
adjacent. Darn shame if you ask me. A little competition is a good thing.

Steve Foley
June 28th 06, 04:00 PM
"Bob Noel" > wrote in message

> Bottomline: stay away from KBED. there are plenty of other much
> friendlier airports in Eastern Massachusetts.

Sounds like that's exactly what they want.

soxinbox
June 29th 06, 12:15 AM
When I lived in Atlanta, I used to stop at KGVL to get cheap self serve. The
last time I was there, I parked at KPDK, but filled up at KGVL to save some
money. I was surprised that KGVL now has a full serve FBO with extremely
high gas prices, and is obviously courting the corporate crowd. I think it
would have been cheaper filling up at KPDK! Darn that urban sprawl!

BTW, now that KPDK owns all the land to the North ( departure off 2R&L),
wouldn't it be nice to fill the empty lots with T hangers? It would pay for
itself in a few years of rent.

"Kyle Boatright" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Peter R." > wrote in message
>> Bob Noel > wrote:
>>
>>> The J row went from $353/month to $459/month to $505/month to
>>> $606/month.
>>
>> That's a tough pill to swallow. You have my condolences.
>>
>> As insurance premiums and waiting lists dictate, I suspect that there
>> will
>> be many other airports here in the US that follow Bedford's lead in the
>> next five years or so.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>
> I wouldn't expect a big change in hangar or tie-down costs unless you're
> based near a population center which is growing extremely rapidly and
> where there is a substantial amount of discretionary income. In those
> areas (I live in one - Atlanta), the close-in airports are well into a
> changeover process where they are intentionally running off spam-cans and
> rolling out the red carpet for the corporate crowd. I've got no problem
> with corporate GA, but I do have a problem with FBO's (who are typically a
> government selected monopoly) consistantly pooping on the little guy - the
> same guy who's faithfully helped keep them in business for decades.
>
> Other than the areas with rapid population growth, hangars and ramp space
> are relatively plentiful and cheap, 'cause there are fewer and fewer
> planes and pilots as old pilots get out of the game and aircraft are
> attritted through accidents, prohibitively expensive repairs, and other
> causes. I think we're facing a future in "Light GA" where there will be
> a significant reduction in the number of airfields and FBO's supporting us
> in the next decade or two. That creates a death spiral of sorts, because
> the thing that makes GA useful is that almost every little town has an
> airstrip. When that ends, so does much of the utility, and even more
> pilots will walk away.

Google