PDA

View Full Version : Mini fold-up bicycles

Dico
June 28th 06, 10:47 PM
Hello,

Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could
get one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the plane.
You know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.

Thanks,

-dr

Mike Noel
June 28th 06, 10:53 PM
aircraftspruce.com has them. I have a 26" Montague mountain bike that is
pretty decent. It's a tight squeeze through my Archer's baggage door.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were the president... But I
repeat myself.
-- with apologies to Mark Twain.

'The first rule of intelligent tinkering is save all the pieces.' - Aldo
Leopold

'Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf
is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps.'
- Tiger Woods

"Dico" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could
> get one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the plane.
> You know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -dr

Ben Jackson
June 28th 06, 11:03 PM
On 2006-06-28, Dico > wrote:

> Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could
> get one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the plane.
> You know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.

I have a 6 speed 20" folder by Dahon (actually 2, one for my wife, too).
When I got it I think we spent $230/ea. They have a different set of
models now, it looks comparable to their Speed D7 (although mine is a
few lbs lighter than that model).

They have a whole range of weights and features (also models with smaller
wheels). My main advice would be to not skimp on the speeds -- the 6
gears I have aren't quite broad enough -- they even specifically mention
improving that in the Speed D7.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Don Tuite
June 28th 06, 11:10 PM
On 28 Jun 2006 14:47:30 -0700, "Dico" > wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could
>get one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the plane.
>You know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.

Every one I've seen, including my own Dahon, weighs at least 25#. If
you're gonna "toss" 'em, cinch up your jockstrap first. When you've
picked one out, be sure to ride it a ways (The ones with tiny wheels
tend to feel squirrely. You may wind up choosing 20", rather than 16"
wheels for the sake of a less exciting ride.), and investigate how
easy it is to insert the folded bike into your airplane and how much
space is left for other stuff once it's aboard.

The Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_bicycle
has links to other sites. If you're near a large Canadian city, you
should have no trouble finding at least a Dahon dealer. Other makes
are likely to be hard to find, although you may have an advantage over
us Yanks in terms of finding a Brompton or a Moulton.

Don

Montblack
June 28th 06, 11:25 PM
("Dico" wrote)
> Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could get
> one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the plane. You
> know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.

Goodwill Industries "Jeff"
1600 W 20th Ave, Oshkosh, WI
(920) 233-3897

10am - 7pm ...(Sat)
10am - 6pm ...(Sun)
9am - 9pm .....(Mon - Fri)

They will be doing the $10 bike thing again this year - for OSH. I called 5
minutes ago.

Ride it for a week - return it as a donation. Nice selection in 2005.

Ask anyone in the N40 where the Goodwill is - it's close. Walking distance.

Montblack

john smith
June 29th 06, 12:05 AM
In article >,
"Montblack" > wrote:

> ("Dico" wrote)
> > Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could get
> > one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the plane. You
> > know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.
>

> Goodwill Industries "Jeff"
> 1600 W 20th Ave, Oshkosh, WI
> (920) 233-3897
>
> 10am - 7pm ...(Sat)
> 10am - 6pm ...(Sun)
> 9am - 9pm .....(Mon - Fri)
> They will be doing the $10 bike thing again this year - for OSH. I called 5
> minutes ago.
> Ride it for a week - return it as a donation. Nice selection in 2005.
> Ask anyone in the N40 where the Goodwill is - it's close. Walking distance.

They had four tractor trailers full of bikes last year.
One of my camper neighbors got a like-new 15-speed.

john smith
June 29th 06, 02:45 AM
http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BAZOOKANAVIGATOR

June 29th 06, 02:51 AM
I have had several small-wheel (16 and 20 inch) foldup bikes and was
less than satisfied
with either. I now have a Bazooka Navigator 26" Aluminum bike with full
suspension - and
consider it the best I have seen. Tiny it is not, but with the foldup
features (frame, pedals
& handlebars) it will fit in the backseat of the plane or the trunk of
my car. Bazooka also
has the Dakar model which is similar but without the suspension. You
can find either
listed frequently on eBay, and they usually go for $300 - $400. You
can also find them on
numerous websites (try Froogle), but the prices are usually north of
$500.

West Marine usually has several types of foldup bikes in stock. Also
check out www.airportshoppe.com.

David Johnson

Thomas Borchert
June 29th 06, 10:00 AM
Dico,

http://www.dahon.com/

They seem to get the best reviews.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

ET
June 29th 06, 09:14 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in
:

> ("Dico" wrote)
>> Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could
>> get one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the
>> plane. You know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.
>

> Goodwill Industries "Jeff"
> 1600 W 20th Ave, Oshkosh, WI
> (920) 233-3897
>
> 10am - 7pm ...(Sat)
> 10am - 6pm ...(Sun)
> 9am - 9pm .....(Mon - Fri)
>
> They will be doing the $10 bike thing again this year - for OSH. I
> called 5 minutes ago.
>
> Ride it for a week - return it as a donation. Nice selection in 2005.
>
> Ask anyone in the N40 where the Goodwill is - it's close. Walking
> distance.
>

> Montblack

Arriving Sunday afternoon, can I count on being able to get 2 of
these???

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

john smith
June 29th 06, 10:21 PM
> >> Can anyone offer suggestions or point me to a web site where i could
> >> get one of those fold-up bicycles i can toss in the back of the
> >> plane. You know the ones you see around Osh Kosh and Sun'n'fun.

> > Goodwill Industries "Jeff"
> > 1600 W 20th Ave, Oshkosh, WI
> > (920) 233-3897
> > 10am - 7pm ...(Sat)
> > 10am - 6pm ...(Sun)
> > 9am - 9pm .....(Mon - Fri)
> > They will be doing the $10 bike thing again this year - for OSH. I
> > called 5 minutes ago.
> > Ride it for a week - return it as a donation. Nice selection in 2005.

> > Ask anyone in the N40 where the Goodwill is - it's close. Walking
> > distance.

> Arriving Sunday afternoon, can I count on being able to get 2 of
> these???

They never ran out last year. Remember, people keep bringing them back
throughout the week.
BTW... you get to inspect and choose the one you want before you buy.

ET
June 29th 06, 10:33 PM
john smith > wrote in
027.columbus.rr.com
:

>> > Goodwill Industries "Jeff"
>> > 1600 W 20th Ave, Oshkosh, WI
>> > (920) 233-3897
>> > 10am - 7pm ...(Sat)
>> > 10am - 6pm ...(Sun)
>> > 9am - 9pm .....(Mon - Fri)
>> > They will be doing the $10 bike thing again this year - for OSH. I
>> > called 5 minutes ago.
>> > Ride it for a week - return it as a donation. Nice selection in
>> > 2005.
>
>> > Ask anyone in the N40 where the Goodwill is - it's close. Walking
>> > distance.
>
>> Arriving Sunday afternoon, can I count on being able to get 2 of
>> these???
>
> They never ran out last year. Remember, people keep bringing them back
> throughout the week.
> BTW... you get to inspect and choose the one you want before you buy.

Very Cool... wish I would have known about it last year!!!! I'm all
over it... --

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Google