PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Hedset Adapters

Jon Kraus
June 30th 06, 12:12 PM
We now have 43H based at an airport where the AWOS is broadcast over
their NDB. Since 43H no longer has an ADF I'd like to see about getting
a cellphone to headset adapter and see if I can dial up the AWOS instead.

Does anyone have any recommenations as to whether these units function
as advertised or even which ones you recommend or not? Thanks in advance.

Jon Kraus
'79 201
4443H @ UMP

Denny
June 30th 06, 02:39 PM
Jon,
I have Lightspeeds ANR in Fat Albert with the cellphone adapter
cable... As long as there is a cell signal it works just like your
phone.. I have seen times when three seats were on their phones
simultaneously without any problems... I expect other brands to work
the same...

denny

Jay Honeck
July 1st 06, 01:38 PM
> We now have 43H based at an airport where the AWOS is broadcast over
> their NDB.

Wow, I haven't seen *that* for a long time.

> Since 43H no longer has an ADF I'd like to see about getting
> a cellphone to headset adapter and see if I can dial up the AWOS instead.

Denny outlined how the Lightspeed cell adaptors work (quite well -- the
sound quality is excellent) -- but you do know they don't work in the
air, right?

I'm not sure how much utility you'll get from an AWOS that can only be
accessed from the ground.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jon Kraus
July 1st 06, 02:13 PM
I think it is a bit strange that for an airport that is otherwise pretty
modern that they still do the whole AWOS / NDB thing.... The airport we
left has a very nice AWOS setup .... even had a setup on the internet
for graphical display of the AWSO... Got spoiled on that... But UMP is
less than 10 minutes from the house and hangers are .01 AMU cheaper a
month so the move will be a good one overall... I jsut have to figure
out a way to get the danged weather while airborn...

I didn't know that the cell phone would not work while airborn....

Jon

Jay Honeck wrote:

>>We now have 43H based at an airport where the AWOS is broadcast over
>>their NDB.
>

> Wow, I haven't seen *that* for a long time.
>

>>Since 43H no longer has an ADF I'd like to see about getting
>>a cellphone to headset adapter and see if I can dial up the AWOS instead.
>

> Denny outlined how the Lightspeed cell adaptors work (quite well -- the
> sound quality is excellent) -- but you do know they don't work in the
> air, right?
>
> I'm not sure how much utility you'll get from an AWOS that can only be
> accessed from the ground.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Bob Fry
July 1st 06, 03:53 PM

JH> Denny outlined how the Lightspeed cell adaptors work (quite
JH> well -- the sound quality is excellent) -- but you do know
JH> they don't work in the air, right?

Eh? Just a week ago I successfully used a pax's cell phone with my
Lightspeed headset to call home in the air. But with my cell phone
[provider], it would connect and drop the call within a couple of
seconds.

Newps
July 2nd 06, 10:20 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

>>We now have 43H based at an airport where the AWOS is broadcast over
>>their NDB.
>

> Wow, I haven't seen *that* for a long time.

Look at your sectional of Minnesota. There's quite a few AWOS
broadcasts on NDB's.

Google