PDA

View Full Version : Connecting handheld to intercom in NORDO plane

July 6th 06, 01:31 AM
Hey folks,

I'm buying an airplane with no electrical system. I want to outfit it
with portable coms. I have a Vertex VXA-300 handheld with headset
connector, a Lightspeed QFR Solo headset, and a David Clark DC10
headset. I haven't bought the intercom yet.

Is there an easy way to get all this to work together? Are there any
special features I need to look for in the intercom to make it work?
Will adding a PTT switch present a problem?

I'm getting some dual in a borrowed Luscombe with a portable intercom,
and for the life of me I can't figure out how to talk on the radio and
to my instructor at the same time. I suspect it's because the
intercom's not set up for connection to a handheld, but know little
about the subject.

Thanks,
Mike

john smith
July 6th 06, 01:47 AM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm buying an airplane with no electrical system. I want to outfit it
> with portable coms. I have a Vertex VXA-300 handheld with headset
> connector, a Lightspeed QFR Solo headset, and a David Clark DC10
> headset. I haven't bought the intercom yet.
>
> Is there an easy way to get all this to work together? Are there any
> special features I need to look for in the intercom to make it work?
> Will adding a PTT switch present a problem?
>
> I'm getting some dual in a borrowed Luscombe with a portable intercom,
> and for the life of me I can't figure out how to talk on the radio and
> to my instructor at the same time. I suspect it's because the
> intercom's not set up for connection to a handheld, but know little
> about the subject.

I have an RST-442 intercom and an ICOM-A20 handheld with the HS-10
Headset Adaptor. I plug the DC-10-40's into the intercom and the
intercom plugs into the HS-10 receptacles. I then use the PTT to
transmit over the HT. I have been doing it this way 14 years without any
problems. You may have to adjust the HS-10 sidetone to minimum if you
hear feedback in your headset or someone receiving your transmission
reports feedback on your signal.

Doug[_1_]
July 7th 06, 02:57 PM
Get a portable intercom with a music input. Your interface troubles
will be over. You can plug the portable radio into the music input.

Google