PDA

View Full Version : Actual Cloud Tops

john smith
July 10th 06, 10:16 PM
I just pulled up the cloud tops charts and see one labeled FL720 over SE
Nebraska/NE Oklahoma/SW Missouri. Is this for real?

Montblack[_1_]
July 11th 06, 12:38 AM
("john smith" wrote)
>I just pulled up the cloud tops charts and see one labeled FL720 over SE
>Nebraska/NE Oklahoma/SW Missouri. Is this for real?

Is there a link to any PIREPS that reported them building?

I Google and got references to 55-60K and also got a few 70K "cloud top"
hits - mostly relating to tropical storms.

More than one site said they figure a 5K error acceptable with
satellite/radar imaging - maybe that means (+/-) 2.5K feet. So you're maybe
only talking 70K, now. :-)

Montblack

john smith
July 11th 06, 01:22 AM
In article >,
"Montblack" > wrote:

> Is there a link to any PIREPS that reported them building?

I posted the image at the usual alt.binaries.pictures.aviation site.
I copied it off of the aviationweather.gov link to the national
radar/cloud tops link.

Montblack[_1_]
July 11th 06, 03:21 AM
("john smith" wrote)
>> Is there a link to any PIREPS that reported them building?

> I posted the image at the usual alt.binaries.pictures.aviation site. I
> copied it off of the aviationweather.gov link to the national radar/cloud
> tops link.

http://aviationweather.gov/data/products/swh/PGEE07_12_CL_new.gif
Was this the page?

http://aviationweather.gov/obs/radar/
Or this?

Montblack

john smith
July 11th 06, 02:15 PM
In article >,
"Montblack" > wrote:

> >> Is there a link to any PIREPS that reported them building?

> > I posted the image at the usual alt.binaries.pictures.aviation site. I
> > copied it off of the aviationweather.gov link to the national radar/cloud
> > tops link.

> http://aviationweather.gov/data/products/swh/PGEE07_12_CL_new.gif
> Was this the page?

> http://aviationweather.gov/obs/radar/
> Or this?

http://aviationweather.gov/obs/radar/

Montblack[_1_]
July 11th 06, 08:11 PM
("john smith" wrote)
> http://aviationweather.gov/obs/radar/

http://aviationweather.gov/data/products/swh/PGEE07_12_CL_new.gif
What info is this page giving me? Not Cloud Tops?

ISOL IMBD CB 450XXX (above link)
vs.
I'm seeing 660 (Florida) and 680 (North Carolina) on your page.
http://aviationweather.gov/obs/radar/

Montblack

john smith
July 11th 06, 08:55 PM
In article >,
"Montblack" > wrote:

> ("john smith" wrote)
> > http://aviationweather.gov/obs/radar/
>

> http://aviationweather.gov/data/products/swh/PGEE07_12_CL_new.gif
> What info is this page giving me? Not Cloud Tops?
> ISOL IMBD CB 450XXX (above link)

High altitude severe weather tops and jet stream winds.

> vs.
> I'm seeing 660 (Florida) and 680 (North Carolina) on your page.
> http://aviationweather.gov/obs/radar/

This is a radar map of precip with cloud tops, direction and speed of
movement

CriticalMass
July 15th 06, 12:01 AM
john smith wrote:

> I just pulled up the cloud tops charts and see one labeled FL720 over SE
> Nebraska/NE Oklahoma/SW Missouri. Is this for real?

Absolutely not. NWS puts that stuff up just to see what they can get
away with. Ignore it.

Google