PDA

View Full Version : autofuel and ethanol in cincinnati area

noname
July 11th 06, 10:55 PM
I just moved to cincinnati and curious about the status of ethanol in
the autofuel in the area.

Is there a web site that shows what cities and/or counties that have
ethanol in their autofuel?

Are there any airports in the Cincinnati area that sells autofuel?

Thanks

Dave

M[_1_]
July 11th 06, 11:17 PM
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/steo/pub/special/oxy2.html shows the areas
that require oxygenated gasoline, which means ethanol these days. It's
a bit hard to decipher because some areas listed in table 1 are now
exempt according to table 3.

However this is NOT a complete list. You better test your fuel using
the simple method described on Petersen's website.

noname wrote:
> I just moved to cincinnati and curious about the status of ethanol in
> the autofuel in the area.
>
> Is there a web site that shows what cities and/or counties that have
> ethanol in their autofuel?
>
> Are there any airports in the Cincinnati area that sells autofuel?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

M[_1_]
July 11th 06, 11:24 PM
BTW due to the phase out of MTBE, these days chances are pretty good
that ethanol is ONLY found in areas where oxygenated gasoline is
required, or in states where ethanol is mandated in gasoline. The
reason is supply and demand. Since the phase out of MTBE began this
year there's a big shortage of ethanol that drove up the already
subsidized ethanol price to something like 50c above wholesale
gasonline price. It'll be hard to image any oil company blending
ethanol into gasoline in aeras where ethanol isn't absolutely mandated.

M wrote:
> http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/steo/pub/special/oxy2.html shows the areas
> that require oxygenated gasoline, which means ethanol these days. It's
> a bit hard to decipher because some areas listed in table 1 are now
> exempt according to table 3.
>
> However this is NOT a complete list. You better test your fuel using
> the simple method described on Petersen's website.
>
> noname wrote:
> > I just moved to cincinnati and curious about the status of ethanol in
> > the autofuel in the area.
> >
> > Is there a web site that shows what cities and/or counties that have
> > ethanol in their autofuel?
> >
> > Are there any airports in the Cincinnati area that sells autofuel?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Dave

July 12th 06, 01:47 AM
I am based in El Monte (KEMT). I notice in Los Angeles area, the
effective period is from Oct. 1 to Feb. 29. I know the only sure way
is to test before fill up. But does that mean no ethanol need to be
added from March 1 to Sept. 29?

M wrote:
> BTW due to the phase out of MTBE, these days chances are pretty good
> that ethanol is ONLY found in areas where oxygenated gasoline is
> required, or in states where ethanol is mandated in gasoline. The
> reason is supply and demand. Since the phase out of MTBE began this
> year there's a big shortage of ethanol that drove up the already
> subsidized ethanol price to something like 50c above wholesale
> gasonline price. It'll be hard to image any oil company blending
> ethanol into gasoline in aeras where ethanol isn't absolutely mandated.
>

> M wrote:
> > http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/steo/pub/special/oxy2.html shows the areas
> > that require oxygenated gasoline, which means ethanol these days. It's
> > a bit hard to decipher because some areas listed in table 1 are now
> > exempt according to table 3.
> >
> > However this is NOT a complete list. You better test your fuel using
> > the simple method described on Petersen's website.
> >
> > noname wrote:
> > > I just moved to cincinnati and curious about the status of ethanol in
> > > the autofuel in the area.
> > >
> > > Is there a web site that shows what cities and/or counties that have
> > > ethanol in their autofuel?
> > >
> > > Are there any airports in the Cincinnati area that sells autofuel?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Dave

john smith
July 12th 06, 02:23 AM
In article om>,
"noname" > wrote:

> I just moved to cincinnati and curious about the status of ethanol in
> the autofuel in the area.
>
> Is there a web site that shows what cities and/or counties that have
> ethanol in their autofuel?
>
> Are there any airports in the Cincinnati area that sells autofuel?

A member of EAA 174 called around to the autofuel distributors in the
Cincinnati area a year or two ago and reported to the membership which
stations added ethanol and which stations didn't.

Check eaa174.org.
Post the question and see if anyone responds.

BTW... EAA 174 will meet Sunday, July 16, 2PM, Clermont County Airport,
HAWK Building.

noname
July 12th 06, 03:17 AM
is there a requirement in Ohio to label the pumps if there is ethanol
added.
I recall that that is a requirement in a few states.

john smith
July 12th 06, 03:28 AM
In article . com>,
"noname" > wrote:

> is there a requirement in Ohio to label the pumps if there is ethanol
> added.

Yes, there is.

M[_1_]
July 12th 06, 05:25 AM
As far as EPA is concerned that's true. However the state of
California might have additional ethanol blending requirements.

You can easily test this at a local pump next time you gas up your car.

wrote:
> I am based in El Monte (KEMT). I notice in Los Angeles area, the
> effective period is from Oct. 1 to Feb. 29. I know the only sure way
> is to test before fill up. But does that mean no ethanol need to be
> added from March 1 to Sept. 29?

M[_1_]
July 12th 06, 05:35 AM
That honestly isn't very useful unless the law also prohibits those
"CYA" labels that say the gasoline "may" contain ethonal when there
isn't any.

In Seattle area I see a lot of labels saying that the gas *may* contain
up to 10% ethanol, where in fact that the Seattle metro area has been
exempt from using oxygenated gasoline by EPA since 1996! Blending
ethanol is a costly procedure for the oil companies and they have no
reason to do it unless it's mandated by law.

john smith wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "noname" > wrote:
>
> > is there a requirement in Ohio to label the pumps if there is ethanol
> > added.
>
> Yes, there is.

noname
July 13th 06, 02:02 AM
I just checked an Exxon station on the north side of town and there was
no ethanol in the gas and there was no label on the pump either.
YEA!!!
$3.00 a gallon looks a lot better than 4.00+ a gallon.

M wrote:
> That honestly isn't very useful unless the law also prohibits those
> "CYA" labels that say the gasoline "may" contain ethonal when there
> isn't any.
>
> In Seattle area I see a lot of labels saying that the gas *may* contain
> up to 10% ethanol, where in fact that the Seattle metro area has been
> exempt from using oxygenated gasoline by EPA since 1996! Blending
> ethanol is a costly procedure for the oil companies and they have no
> reason to do it unless it's mandated by law.
>

> john smith wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > "noname" > wrote:
> >
> > > is there a requirement in Ohio to label the pumps if there is ethanol
> > > added.
> >
> > Yes, there is.

Guy Byars
July 17th 06, 12:22 AM
First, no airports near Cincinnati sell autogas.

I have done much research on ethanol in the Cincinnati area fuel supply.
This was done after I filled up my Skylane from a Mobile/UDF station only to
find that I put a 5% mix of ethanol in my plane! I was a major pain to
quickly defuel the plane and refill with 100LL. I had tested that station
just a few months ago and it was clean.

Anyway, here are my findings:

1) Don't trust the labels on the pumps, they are meaningless. I have tested
numerous stations for ethanol and many that tested positive came from
unmarked pumps.

2) Test your fuel everytime ... before you buy it. This is easily done with
a small jar, a Sharpie Pen and some water.

a) fill a jar 1/5 the way full with water

b) mark the level with the Sharpie

c) top off with fuel and shake

d) after it settles, If the water level rises, then ethanol is present.

3) All major brands in metro Cincinnati (Shell, BP, Exxon... etc) put
ethanol in their fuel. Most conviencence stores do too... Mobile/UDF and
Speedway, for example contain ethanol.

I have only found that the Kroger fuel station in Hyde Park and the Marithon
station near the corner of Delta/Columbia Pkwy sell alcohol free gas. I
still test before I buy.

Where are you based?

Guy

"noname" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just moved to cincinnati and curious about the status of ethanol in
> the autofuel in the area.
>
> Is there a web site that shows what cities and/or counties that have
> ethanol in their autofuel?
>
> Are there any airports in the Cincinnati area that sells autofuel?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Jay Honeck
July 17th 06, 11:28 PM
> 2) Test your fuel everytime ... before you buy it. This is easily done with
> a small jar, a Sharpie Pen and some water.
> a) fill a jar 1/5 the way full with water
> b) mark the level with the Sharpie
> c) top off with fuel and shake
> d) after it settles, If the water level rises, then ethanol is present.

A guy on the Cherokee 235 group has come up with an even better way to
test for water & alcohol at the same time -- tell me what you think of
this:

1. Put fuel in cup.
2. Add 1/4 of an alka-seltzer to fuel
3. If no fizz, no water OR alcohol.

I really like this method, and plan on testing it on our next tank-full
of car gas.

I'm no chemist, so I've got to ask: Does alka-seltzer really fizz in
alcohol?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

M[_1_]
July 21st 06, 06:51 AM
Should be easy to validate the whole thing. I think you can get pure
alcohol from drug store. Blend 10% into gasoline, and toss in an
alka-seltzer.

Jay Honeck wrote:

> I'm no chemist, so I've got to ask: Does alka-seltzer really fizz in
> alcohol?
> --

Google