PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh flight planning

Paul Tomblin
July 19th 06, 02:48 PM
Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
Muskegeon MI.

Advantages of Muskegeon:
- might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
than a 1.5 hour flight
- arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
Advantages of Saginaw:
- Free hotdogs
- I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
Michigan

What do you think?

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Microsoft - Just say No.

Jim Macklin
July 19th 06, 03:06 PM
Plan to arrive at OSH after a short leg with ,ore fuel in
the tanks. Leave early from your first departure point so
you're ahead of schedule. Plan your last leg at low cruise
power, much easier to adjust your ATA if you have a 20-25
knot speed buffer.

You're spending a lot of money, free hotdogs, but some good
food for $10.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
| Microsoft - Just say No.

Dave Butler[_1_]
July 19th 06, 03:36 PM
Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
> refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
> Muskegeon MI.
>
> Advantages of Muskegeon:
> - might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
> than a 1.5 hour flight
> - arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
> doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
> Advantages of Saginaw:
> - Free hotdogs
> - I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
> Michigan

....and you'll be going feet-wet drawing fuel from a proven good fuel source vs.
a tank that you just filled.

> What do you think?

john smith
July 19th 06, 04:27 PM
In article >,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

> Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
> refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
> Muskegeon MI.
>
> Advantages of Muskegeon:
> - might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
> than a 1.5 hour flight
> - arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
> doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
> Advantages of Saginaw:
> - Free hotdogs
> - I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
> Michigan
>
> What do you think?

Advantage of Saginaw... you are already at altitude when you cross the
lake.

Jim Burns[_1_]
July 19th 06, 04:42 PM
I'd do Saginaw so you don't have to climb over the lake or circle over MKG
while you climb, plus the known fuel quality issue. If you're early you can
ask for a vector, say towards Green Bay, for timing your arrival at FISK.
If you're late, OSH will still be there waiting for you.
Jim

"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
> refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
> Muskegeon MI.
>
> Advantages of Muskegeon:
> - might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
> than a 1.5 hour flight
> - arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
> doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
> Advantages of Saginaw:
> - Free hotdogs
> - I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
> Michigan
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
> Microsoft - Just say No.

Dave Butler[_1_]
July 19th 06, 04:53 PM
Jim Burns wrote:
> I'd do Saginaw so you don't have to climb over the lake or circle over MKG
> while you climb, plus the known fuel quality issue. If you're early you can
> ask for a vector, say towards Green Bay, for timing your arrival at FISK.
> If you're late, OSH will still be there waiting for you.

I've only gone IFR into OSH one time, I was a little outside my reservation
window. No questions asked, it was just like any other IFR arrival. I think
unless things are really crazy they will forgive a small miscalculation in your
reservation. There are probably a lot of no-shows on the reservations.

DGB

> Jim
>

> "Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
>
>>Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
>>refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
>>Muskegeon MI.
>>
>>Advantages of Muskegeon:
>> - might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
>> than a 1.5 hour flight
>> - arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
>> doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
>>Advantages of Saginaw:
>> - Free hotdogs
>> - I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
>> Michigan
>>
>>What do you think?
>>
>>--
>>Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
>>Microsoft - Just say No.

Denny
July 20th 06, 01:16 PM
Saginaw KHYX is my airport... Self serve fuel... 24 hour weather
machine in the lobby... Courtesy car if needed... Plenty of time to
climb to altitude as you go to Ludington for the hop across.. This
allows you to go across the narrow point... WIth a bit of planning you
are never out of reach of shore on the glide...

cheers ... denny

Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
> refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
> Muskegeon MI.

Denny
July 20th 06, 01:22 PM
Just a parenthetical note from someone who has been going to the EAA
fly-in since before it was Oshkosh... For those who are going there
for the day (or even more), consider landing at Fond-Du-Lac and riding
the bus... Less hassle, less traffic buzzing you from behind, less
taxi in 90 deg. heat, lots to recommend it...

denny

john smith
July 20th 06, 03:19 PM
In article om>,
"Denny" > wrote:

> Just a parenthetical note from someone who has been going to the EAA
> fly-in since before it was Oshkosh... For those who are going there
> for the day (or even more), consider landing at Fond-Du-Lac and riding
> the bus... Less hassle, less traffic buzzing you from behind, less
> taxi in 90 deg. heat, lots to recommend it...

Not necessarily!
Depending on the day and time, watch for HEAVY warbird activity!

Sam Spade
July 24th 06, 02:53 AM
john smith wrote:
> In article om>,
> "Denny" > wrote:
>

>>Just a parenthetical note from someone who has been going to the EAA
>>fly-in since before it was Oshkosh... For those who are going there
>>for the day (or even more), consider landing at Fond-Du-Lac and riding
>>the bus... Less hassle, less traffic buzzing you from behind, less
>>taxi in 90 deg. heat, lots to recommend it...
>

> Not necessarily!
> Depending on the day and time, watch for HEAVY warbird activity!

Too many airplanes in too little airspace at both airports.

July 28th 06, 03:40 AM
Its great to work out all these options ahead of time, but then comes
the day of your flight. There is a 200-mile wide line of thunderstorms
across the route of flight and you wind up going via JOT or SSM. All
the tooth gnashing about where to stop on the direct route is out the
window. Plus you need to leave 45 mins earlier to keep meet your
schedule! :-( Been there, done that ;-) Don't forget to plan for
the unexpected & have a great flight!

Paul Tomblin
July 30th 06, 04:53 PM
In a previous article, said:
>window. Plus you need to leave 45 mins earlier to keep meet your
>schedule! :-( Been there, done that ;-) Don't forget to plan for
>the unexpected & have a great flight!

Then there is what happened to me - I waited out a thunderstorm on the
departure airport, and after it passed I went out to pre-flight the
aircraft, only to find out that it had a broken muffler. Can't get the
part on a weekend, so I ended up driving. 14 hours of driving versus 4.5
hours of flying. Man, that sucks.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's not 'I don't do Windows', it's 'I know nothing about Windows,

Google