PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 496!!!

Mike Granby
July 19th 06, 11:46 PM
Just got this...

JA Air Center, your Garmin source, is pleased to announce the new
Garmin GPSmap 496 with XM Weather, Terrain, AOPA Airport Guide, Taxiway
Database, and built in StreetPilot Automotive GPS.

Limited quantities are in stock and available for immediate delivery.

Call toll-free 800-323-5966 (M-F from 8 AM - 4:30 PM CT) or order
securely at http://shop.jaair.com

Detailed product information can be found at
http://www.jaair.com/gpsmap496/gpsmap496.htm

Heading to EAA AirVenture 2006 in Oshkosh, WI?

Find and purchase the GPSmap 496 at JA's booth 2088-2089 in Building B.

Jeppesen datbase updates for your portable Garmin are available also at
JA's booth and we do purchase used GPS units.

Thank you!

Bob Fry
July 20th 06, 12:06 AM
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap496/
$2995.00 U.S.D
Ouch.

July 20th 06, 12:58 AM
I couldn't tell from the pix.... are the airport diagrams
georeferenced?

Hope so... tho this invites robbery on the databases.

Bill Hale

Mike Granby wrote:
> Just got this...
>
> JA Air Center, your Garmin source, is pleased to announce the new
> Garmin GPSmap 496 with XM Weather, Terrain, AOPA Airport Guide, Taxiway
> Database, and built in StreetPilot Automotive GPS.
>
> Limited quantities are in stock and available for immediate delivery.
>
> Call toll-free 800-323-5966 (M-F from 8 AM - 4:30 PM CT) or order
> securely at http://shop.jaair.com
>
> Detailed product information can be found at
> http://www.jaair.com/gpsmap496/gpsmap496.htm
>
> Heading to EAA AirVenture 2006 in Oshkosh, WI?
>
> Find and purchase the GPSmap 496 at JA's booth 2088-2089 in Building B.
>
> Jeppesen datbase updates for your portable Garmin are available also at
> JA's booth and we do purchase used GPS units.
>
> Thank you!

Dan Luke
July 20th 06, 01:09 AM
> Detailed product information can be found at
> http://www.jaair.com/gpsmap496/gpsmap496.htm

Not very exciting for a 396 owner. The taxiway diagrams are nice, but the
display appears to be the same.

I don't see enough to tempt me into trading up.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

john smith
July 20th 06, 02:04 AM
In article >,
"Dan Luke" > wrote:

> Not very exciting for a 396 owner. The taxiway diagrams are nice, but the
> display appears to be the same.

GPS 396: 3.80 inch diagonal screen
GPS 496: 3.75 inch diagonal screen

July 20th 06, 02:08 AM
Fast 5Hz GPS!!! Is it the same rate as GNS480? Does that mean VNAV is
possible?

Thomas Borchert
July 20th 06, 12:00 PM
Mike,

so what exactly is different from the 396?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Mike Granby
July 20th 06, 12:30 PM
Thomas Borchert wrote:

> so what exactly is different from the 396?

Faster update; integrated street maps; better terrain resolution;
taxiway information; AOPA directory. All in all, not that much, but the
faster update might tip it for me.

Dave Butler[_1_]
July 20th 06, 02:30 PM
wrote:
> Fast 5Hz GPS!!! Is it the same rate as GNS480?

Yes.

> Does that mean VNAV is
> possible?

Mike Granby
July 20th 06, 02:51 PM
john smith wrote:

> How can there be better terrain resolution
> when the screen resolution is the same?

The terrain database resolution is independant of the screen
resolution.

john smith
July 20th 06, 02:51 PM
In article om>,
"Mike Granby" > wrote:

> better terrain resolution

How can there be better terrain resolution when the screen resolution is
the same?

Mike Spera
July 20th 06, 03:17 PM
Mike Granby wrote:
> Thomas Borchert wrote:
>

>>so what exactly is different from the 396?
>

> Faster update; integrated street maps; better terrain resolution;
> taxiway information; AOPA directory. All in all, not that much, but the
> faster update might tip it for me.

Yes, except for the faster update, EVERYTHING ELSE could be provided to
owners of a 396 via software and be put on the data card. Wanna bet they
don't offer it?

Mike

john smith
July 20th 06, 03:17 PM
In article om>,
"Mike Granby" > wrote:

> john smith wrote:
>
> > How can there be better terrain resolution
> > when the screen resolution is the same?
>
> The terrain database resolution is independant of the screen
> resolution.

To me, resolution means greater detail. What is your interpretation?

Morgans[_3_]
July 20th 06, 03:46 PM
" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Fast 5Hz GPS!!! Is it the same rate as GNS480? Does that mean VNAV is
> possible?

You will never see a legal use for a portable unit, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Mike Granby
July 20th 06, 04:06 PM
john smith wrote:

> > > How can there be better terrain resolution
> > > when the screen resolution is the same?
> >
> > The terrain database resolution is
> > independant of the screen resolution.
>
> To me, resolution means greater
> detail. What is your interpretation?

The terrain data is stored at some specific resolution ie. there is a
height recorded for each square of land N by N feet in size. These N x
N squares will correspond to a variable number of pixels on the
display, depending on the zoom level. At lower zooms, multiple squares
will contribute to a single pixel; at higher zooms, a single square
will show as multiple pixels. Go to the terrain page and you'll see a
"blocky" appearance on a 396 at the normal close-in zoom levels used on
that page. Increasing the terrain resolution allows you to get closer
before you get the blocking. It also allow better decisions about
possible terrain conflicts.

Mike Granby
July 20th 06, 04:07 PM
Mike Spera wrote:

> Yes, except for the faster update, EVERYTHING ELSE
> could be provided to owners of a 396 via software and be
> put on the data card. Wanna bet they don't offer it?

I'm sure they won't, but I'm also not sure that you get all that on a
data card and access it at a reasonable rate. The 496 must have quite a
lot more memory than the 396, and processing that data will take
horsepower, too.

john smith
July 20th 06, 04:25 PM
In article . com>,
"Mike Granby" > wrote:

> > > The terrain database resolution is
> > > independant of the screen resolution.
> >
> > To me, resolution means greater
> > detail. What is your interpretation?
>
> The terrain data is stored at some specific resolution ie. there is a
> height recorded for each square of land N by N feet in size. These N x
> N squares will correspond to a variable number of pixels on the
> display, depending on the zoom level. At lower zooms, multiple squares
> will contribute to a single pixel; at higher zooms, a single square
> will show as multiple pixels. Go to the terrain page and you'll see a
> "blocky" appearance on a 396 at the normal close-in zoom levels used on
> that page. Increasing the terrain resolution allows you to get closer
> before you get the blocking. It also allow better decisions about
> possible terrain conflicts.

If I understand you correctly, the increase in terrain resolution comes
from packing more data into memory (more information per pixel) and
redefining the zoom access?

Dave Butler[_1_]
July 20th 06, 04:32 PM
>>The terrain data is stored at some specific resolution ie. there is a
>>height recorded for each square of land N by N feet in size.

<good stuff snipped>

> If I understand you correctly, the increase in terrain resolution comes
> from packing more data into memory (more information per pixel) and
> redefining the zoom access?

"pixels" and "zooming" are concepts orthogonal to the database resolution, which
is what is claimed to be improved. It has nothing to do with the resolution of
the display screen.

Michael Ware
July 20th 06, 10:46 PM
"ktbr" > wrote in message
> Mike Granby wrote:
> I might even buy a 496 when they start showing up used on Ebay for
> $950. In the meantime I'll just have to stick it out with my 196
> (that I bought used on Ebay).

That will be a while, that's about what a used 296 (in good cond with
accesories) brings.

kontiki
July 21st 06, 02:45 AM
Michael Ware wrote:

> That will be a while, that's about what a used 296 (in good cond with
> accesories) brings.

So be it. The 296 is too slow.. we have 'em in the 182's we use for fire
patrol and my 196 is way faster.

Michael Ware
July 21st 06, 03:20 AM
"kontiki" > wrote in message
> Michael Ware wrote:
> >
> > That will be a while, that's about what a used 296 (in good cond with
> > accesories) brings.
> >

> So be it. The 296 is too slow.. we have 'em in the 182's we use for fire
> patrol and my 196 is way faster.

Too slow...? I've never had any trouble with mine? What do you mean?

Mike Spera
July 21st 06, 03:55 AM
>>Yes, except for the faster update, EVERYTHING ELSE
>>could be provided to owners of a 396 via software and be
>>put on the data card. Wanna bet they don't offer it?
>
> I'm sure they won't, but I'm also not sure that you get all that on a
> data card and access it at a reasonable rate. The 496 must have quite a
> lot more memory than the 396, and processing that data will take
> horsepower, too.

Well, the street maps for the 396 are already available on CD for
installation on the data card. The 496 just has the internal memory to
store them without a data card. Garmin basically just "threw in" the
auto kit. Taxiways are nothing more than "streets", so they could easily
be put on a card. The AOPA Directory is mixed text and graphics that are
the same as other text/graphics that the 396 already displays. Add a tab
to the airport listing page and pull up the AOPA data and taxiways. A
1Gb card should do it all for a couple of major metro areas, the
taxiways, and the AOPA directory. May even need less. Someone would have
to do the math.

The data itself for the taxiways and the AOPA directory may exist
outside the Garmin walls. Not sure what the license would cost or if
they gave Garmin an exclusive for the taxiway coordinates/data and the
AOPA data. The cards are also available from an alternate source (or you
could just buy one from Garmin). The rest is getting the data formatted
for the 396 and tweaking their firmware. Not a monumental chore. You are
flirting with the license prohibition against reverse engineering. If
you don't sell it or give it away... well... The biggest headache would
be updating your firmware patch whenever Garmin put out an update that
stomped on it. The usual problem when you mess with factory code.

Not sure what the "real" data card is inside those Garmin proprietary
wrappers, but I'm sure the speed of today's cards should be plenty fast
enough. They must be because the auto kit essentially already does this
(street moving maps via the data card). How fast does it need to be to
display a moving map of a taxiway when moving at 10kts?

Sounds like an interesting project. I would rather Garmin did it for a
reasonable price though.

Good Luck,
Mike

Maule Driver
July 21st 06, 03:03 PM
Mike Granby wrote:
> Thomas Borchert wrote:
>>so what exactly is different from the 396?
>
> Faster update; integrated street maps; better terrain resolution;
> taxiway information; AOPA directory. All in all, not that much, but the
> faster update might tip it for me.

and private airports DB - a feature I'd like.

Interestingly, having flown in and out of our private grass strip a few
times, we have a very nice set of tracks on the Garmin that outline the
runway and taxiway. It appears that in zero-zero conditions, one could
taxi from the runway to my hangar door just following the tracks. Sort
of a every-man's runway/taxiway diagram. If it cools off a bit, I may
just take the hood and a safety pilot and see if it works.... remember
'dither'? May it RIP.

ktbr
July 21st 06, 03:57 PM
Michael Ware wrote:
> Too slow...? I've never had any trouble with mine? What do you mean?

My mistake, I re-read your first post... I was referring to the 295.

Michael Ware
July 21st 06, 08:25 PM
"ktbr" > wrote in message
> Michael Ware wrote:
> > Too slow...? I've never had any trouble with mine? What do you mean?
> >

> My mistake, I re-read your first post... I was referring to the 295.
No problem. My 296 is the first handheld GPS I have ever owned, so nothing
to compare it to. Does what I need!

Larry Dighera
July 24th 06, 04:03 PM
On 19 Jul 2006 15:46:07 -0700, "Mike Granby" > wrote
in m>::

>Just got this...
>
>JA Air Center, your Garmin source, is pleased to announce the new
>Garmin GPSmap 496 with XM Weather, Terrain, AOPA Airport Guide, Taxiway
>Database, and built in StreetPilot Automotive GPS.

http://www.avshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6957
Item Number : 6957
List Price: $2,995.00
You Save: $200.00