PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 496

Kobra[_1_]
July 20th 06, 03:25 PM
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap496/

Just as I said in an earlier post. The price appears to be $2,395.00.

Kobra

Kobra[_1_]
July 20th 06, 04:04 PM
Ooops...2,795.00

"Kobra" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap496/
>
> Just as I said in an earlier post. The price appears to be $2,395.00.
>
> Kobra

Newps
July 20th 06, 08:28 PM
There's a dealer from Canada who participates on the Cessna Pilots Assoc
website that will sell you one for $2545 US prepaid, no sales tax.
Canadian regs don't allow Garmin to set the minimum price and also allow
sales to the US.

Kobra wrote:
> http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap496/
>
> Just as I said in an earlier post. The price appears to be $2,395.00.
>
> Kobra

Ron A.[_1_]
July 21st 06, 02:09 AM
Newps,

I would be very interested in some further "hints" as to the dealer. I
was just in NW Ontario on a fishing trip with the family last month. I
don't belong to the Cessna Pilots Assoc.

I did a search of Garmin auth dealers in Canada, but there are so many
aviation dealers if you include all the provinces. I have an old 196 that I
wouldn't mind upgrading. According to the G2 chart specs which the 496 will
take, it will render aerial photos of marine harbour sites. I assume it
would other sites too. It must have a ton of memory. I also see you can
add your own points of interest. One thing I have missed for a while with
my old Pilot III was the inclusion of private strips.

I have some private grass strips around here that are privately owned,
public use and it would be nice to have them on a gps again for the burger
runs.

Ron

"Newps" > wrote in message
> There's a dealer from Canada who participates on the Cessna Pilots Assoc
> website that will sell you one for $2545 US prepaid, no sales tax.
> Canadian regs don't allow Garmin to set the minimum price and also allow
> sales to the US.

Newps
July 21st 06, 02:23 AM
http://www.aeroteknic.com/

Ask for Pascal Gosselin

Here's his post on the CPA site.

Ok here's the deal on getting your GPSMAP 496 from us in Canada (where
we are exempt from Garmin's minimum retail price policies).

Price: $2,545 US; UPS 2nd day shipping included (a $250 savings), no
sales tax. Order must be prepaid via a money order. Estimated
availability: around mid-August (same time as all of the non-Oshkosh
dealers get them).

Ron A. wrote:
> Newps,
>
> I would be very interested in some further "hints" as to the dealer. I
> was just in NW Ontario on a fishing trip with the family last month. I
> don't belong to the Cessna Pilots Assoc.
>
> I did a search of Garmin auth dealers in Canada, but there are so many
> aviation dealers if you include all the provinces. I have an old 196 that I
> wouldn't mind upgrading. According to the G2 chart specs which the 496 will
> take, it will render aerial photos of marine harbour sites. I assume it
> would other sites too. It must have a ton of memory. I also see you can
> add your own points of interest. One thing I have missed for a while with
> my old Pilot III was the inclusion of private strips.
>
> I have some private grass strips around here that are privately owned,
> public use and it would be nice to have them on a gps again for the burger
> runs.
>
> Ron
>

> "Newps" > wrote in message
>
>>There's a dealer from Canada who participates on the Cessna Pilots Assoc
>>website that will sell you one for $2545 US prepaid, no sales tax.
>>Canadian regs don't allow Garmin to set the minimum price and also allow
>>sales to the US.

Ron A.[_1_]
July 21st 06, 01:19 PM
Thank you very much! The money order is the only thing I would worry about.
I will have to do some homework before I will commit to that. Not much
control on my end if I use a money order.

Ron

"Newps" > wrote
> http://www.aeroteknic.com/
>
> Ask for Pascal Gosselin
>

> Here's his post on the CPA site.
>

> Ok here's the deal on getting your GPSMAP 496 from us in Canada (where we
> are exempt from Garmin's minimum retail price policies).
>
> Price: $2,545 US; UPS 2nd day shipping included (a $250 savings), no sales
> tax. Order must be prepaid via a money order. Estimated availability:
> around mid-August (same time as all of the non-Oshkosh dealers get them).

Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_1_]
July 21st 06, 02:18 PM
Ron A. wrote:
> Thank you very much! The money order is the only thing I would worry about.
> I will have to do some homework before I will commit to that. Not much
> control on my end if I use a money order.

None at all, actually. There's no way in hell I'd enter into a deal like that.
It screams "Rip me off!". This is what they make credit cards for.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Sam Spade
July 21st 06, 03:06 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
> Ron A. wrote:
>
>>Thank you very much! The money order is the only thing I would worry about.
>>I will have to do some homework before I will commit to that. Not much
>>control on my end if I use a money order.
>

> None at all, actually. There's no way in hell I'd enter into a deal like that.
> It screams "Rip me off!". This is what they make credit cards for.

I would second that view.

Might as well send the money order to Nigeria. ;-)

Having said that, they guy *could* be legit and doesn't want to fight
international credit card charge backs.

Steve S
July 21st 06, 04:47 PM
"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
>> None at all, actually. There's no way in hell I'd enter into a deal like
>> that. It screams "Rip me off!". This is what they make credit cards for.
>>
> I would second that view.
>
> Might as well send the money order to Nigeria. ;-)
>
> Having said that, they guy *could* be legit and doesn't want to fight
> international credit card charge backs.

Or pay the 2.something percent fee

Kobra[_1_]
July 22nd 06, 12:23 AM

> Or pay the 2.something percent fee
I would never agree to a MO on a deal like this. If this was a legit vendor
he would accept CC's. If anyone is worried about 2% then I would pay the 2%
difference on the CC.

Kobra

Google