PDA

View Full Version : Seeking KT-79 transponder install/operational info

July 25th 06, 11:52 PM
Hey all. I recently inquired about replacing my dead transponder (KT-76) with a worn out cavity. I've since bought an e-bay
special KT-79. I haven't installed it yet, but have powered it up on the bench. Things seem OK, except that the VFR button sends the
unit to code "4263" rather than "1200." Aside from the obvious "It's broke" response, is there any sort of programmability to this? I've
also got a KT-197 COM that has obscurely available "memories" obtainable via turn, push, twist, stand-on-your-head, twist-twist
combination. Anyone know if the KT-79 has has something similar to set what "VFR" means, or am I just hosed? I do not know if the code
corresponds to what's transmitted yet.

Just grasping as straws here...

Thanks,
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Peter R.
July 26th 06, 12:05 AM
> wrote:

> Hey all. I recently inquired about replacing my dead transponder (KT-76)
> with a worn out cavity. I've since bought an e-bay
> special KT-79.
<snip>
> Anyone know if the KT-79 has has something similar to set what "VFR" means,
> or am I just hosed?

I was wondering if you ever found a transponder after inquiring about mine,
as I never heard back from you.

Sorry to read of your problems.

--
Peter

July 26th 06, 12:13 AM
I've actually been on vacation for a month or so. Haven't yet caught up on the usenet since I've been back.

If the VFR quick-recall is broken, I can deal with that I guess.... it's still better than a broken KT-76.... :)

-Cory

Peter R. > wrote:
: > wrote:

: > Hey all. I recently inquired about replacing my dead transponder (KT-76)
: > with a worn out cavity. I've since bought an e-bay
: > special KT-79.
: <snip>
: > Anyone know if the KT-79 has has something similar to set what "VFR" means,
: > or am I just hosed?

: I was wondering if you ever found a transponder after inquiring about mine,
: as I never heard back from you.

: Sorry to read of your problems.

: --
: Peter

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Mike Granby
July 26th 06, 01:02 AM
I think it's reasonable to assume there's some way of setting the VFR
code, as it varies around the world. 4263 is an internal code allocated
to Albuquerque, I believe, so it's probably a company squawk for a
common user like an air ambulance. I have a KT-79 maintenance manual
but it has no mention of how to setting the VFR code. I'll try to
round-up an install manual to set if it's in there...

Peter Clark
July 26th 06, 01:02 AM
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:52:39 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

> Hey all. I recently inquired about replacing my dead transponder (KT-76) with a worn out cavity. I've since bought an e-bay
>special KT-79. I haven't installed it yet, but have powered it up on the bench. Things seem OK, except that the VFR button sends the
>unit to code "4263" rather than "1200." Aside from the obvious "It's broke" response, is there any sort of programmability to this? I've
>also got a KT-197 COM that has obscurely available "memories" obtainable via turn, push, twist, stand-on-your-head, twist-twist
>combination. Anyone know if the KT-79 has has something similar to set what "VFR" means, or am I just hosed? I do not know if the code
>corresponds to what's transmitted yet.

Isn't there something like 'dial code, hold vfr button for 10 seconds,
that code is now what shows up when you hit vfr button'?

Mike Granby
July 26th 06, 01:14 AM
Here's another idea. On the KT-73 and the KT-76C, you put the unit in
standby, enter the code, hold the IDT button, and then press and
release the VFR button. Since they used the same method on these two,
probably worth trying it on the KT-79, too.

July 26th 06, 01:41 AM
Mike Granby > wrote:

: Here's another idea. On the KT-73 and the KT-76C, you put the unit in
: standby, enter the code, hold the IDT button, and then press and
: release the VFR button. Since they used the same method on these two,
: probably worth trying it on the KT-79, too.

I'll try that combo on the bench tomorrow when I've got a current-limited supply available.

Will report back...

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

July 26th 06, 01:11 PM
Mike Granby > wrote:

: Here's another idea. On the KT-73 and the KT-76C, you put the unit in
: standby, enter the code, hold the IDT button, and then press and
: release the VFR button. Since they used the same method on these two,
: probably worth trying it on the KT-79, too.

Just to report back, that particular key combination worked! Now 'VFR' =
1200. I'll probably install it this weekend to see if the unit itself works.

Transponders are particularly irritation for a gumshoe avionics guy like
myself to troubleshoot since without an interrogator you have to fly it to test
anything. Oh well... fingers crossed and thanks a bunch for the info.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Google