PDA

View Full Version : Taxi accident at OSH

StudentPPSEL
July 31st 06, 01:13 AM
I just read this on Guardian Unlimited:

OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) - The propeller of a Navy warbird sliced into a
home-built airplane on a taxiway during an airshow Sunday, killing a
passenger, officials said.

The victim in the home-built Van's RV was pronounced dead at the scene at
Wittman Regional Airport, but the pilot was unhurt, said Tom Poberezny,
president of the Experimental Aircraft Association, which puts on the annual
AirVenture show.

Neither of the two people in the World War II-era Grumman TBM Avenger were
injured, Poberezny said.

The planes were preparing for departure when the Avenger struck the back of
the Canadian-registered RV, said association spokesman Dick Knapinski.

Federal and local authorities were investigating. The victim's name was not
released.

The fatality was the airport's third since people began arriving for
AirVenture. A couple died July 23 when their Europa XS home-built plane
crashed on approach.

Billed as the world's largest gathering of recreational aviators,
AirVenture, a fly-in and convention of the aircraft association, attracts
more than 10,000 airplanes and nearly 250,000 aviation enthusiasts from
around the world.

The Van's RV is one of the most popular kit-built planes, Knapinski said.

I have a lump in my throat at this time cause I have close freinds that fly
their RV's down to Airventure from CZAM and since I just got home from a
short trip and I cannot reach them. I am concerned that it may be them! I
pray that it is not!.

However if it does not turn out to be them, my sympathyies(sp) go to the
family and loved ones of the deceased!

Does anyone have any info on this terrible accident? Any info would be
greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I will keep trying to reach my Friends and
pray they are still ok!

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
July 31st 06, 01:38 AM
"StudentPPSEL" > wrote in message
>I just read this on Guardian Unlimited:
>

> OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) - The propeller of a Navy warbird sliced into a
> home-built airplane on a taxiway during an airshow Sunday, killing a
> passenger, officials said.

<...>

> I have a lump in my throat at this time cause I have close freinds that
> fly
> their RV's down to Airventure from CZAM and since I just got home from a
> short trip and I cannot reach them. I am concerned that it may be them! I
> pray that it is not!.
>
> However if it does not turn out to be them, my sympathyies(sp) go to the
> family and loved ones of the deceased!
>

> Does anyone have any info on this terrible accident? Any info would be
> greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I will keep trying to reach my Friends and
> pray they are still ok!

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/15160027.htm

The victim was described as a 63-year-old man from Canada. His identity
would be released pending notification of family members, officials said.

Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

John[_1_]
August 3rd 06, 02:12 PM
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
> "StudentPPSEL" > wrote in message
> >I just read this on Guardian Unlimited:
> >

> > OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) - The propeller of a Navy warbird sliced into a
> > home-built airplane on a taxiway during an airshow Sunday, killing a
> > passenger, officials said.
> >
> <...>
> >
> > I have a lump in my throat at this time cause I have close freinds that
> > fly
> > their RV's down to Airventure from CZAM and since I just got home from a
> > short trip and I cannot reach them. I am concerned that it may be them! I
> > pray that it is not!.
> >
> > However if it does not turn out to be them, my sympathyies(sp) go to the
> > family and loved ones of the deceased!
> >

> > Does anyone have any info on this terrible accident? Any info would be
> > greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I will keep trying to reach my Friends and
> > pray they are still ok!
>
> http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/15160027.htm
>
> The victim was described as a 63-year-old man from Canada. His identity
> would be released pending notification of family members, officials said.

The identity of the victim has now been released (see
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/694-full.html#192861)
Capt. Geoff - I hope it was not your friend. But no doubt ths person
was a friend and a loved one to people out there. To those folks, my
deepest sympathy and prayers.

John

August 3rd 06, 05:43 PM
The victim was the president of the local EAA chapter 245 in Ottawa,
based at Carp Airport (CYRP). He will be missed.

John wrote:
> Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
> > "StudentPPSEL" > wrote in message
> > >I just read this on Guardian Unlimited:
> > >

> > > OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) - The propeller of a Navy warbird sliced into a
> > > home-built airplane on a taxiway during an airshow Sunday, killing a
> > > passenger, officials said.
> > >
> > <...>
> > >
> > > I have a lump in my throat at this time cause I have close freinds that
> > > fly
> > > their RV's down to Airventure from CZAM and since I just got home from a
> > > short trip and I cannot reach them. I am concerned that it may be them! I
> > > pray that it is not!.
> > >
> > > However if it does not turn out to be them, my sympathyies(sp) go to the
> > > family and loved ones of the deceased!
> > >

> > > Does anyone have any info on this terrible accident? Any info would be
> > > greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I will keep trying to reach my Friends and
> > > pray they are still ok!
> >
> > http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/15160027.htm
> >
> > The victim was described as a 63-year-old man from Canada. His identity
> > would be released pending notification of family members, officials said.
> >
> The identity of the victim has now been released (see
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/694-full.html#192861)
> Capt. Geoff - I hope it was not your friend. But no doubt ths person
> was a friend and a loved one to people out there. To those folks, my
> deepest sympathy and prayers.
>
> John

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
August 3rd 06, 09:52 PM
<...>>
> The identity of the victim has now been released (see
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/694-full.html#192861)
> Capt. Geoff - I hope it was not your friend. But no doubt ths person
> was a friend and a loved one to people out there. To those folks, my
> deepest sympathy and prayers.
>
> John

The original poster - StudentPPSEL referenced an airport in British Columbia
(CZAM), so I guess this wasn't his/her friends. But, yes, it is sad in any
case.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com