PDA

View Full Version : David Clark X11

Dan[_1_]
August 2nd 06, 05:23 AM
Anyone try these at OSH? How to they compare to the Bose? I may be in
the market for a headset... I wish the Bose had music input though!

--Dan

bdl
August 3rd 06, 05:38 PM
Dan wrote:
> Anyone try these at OSH? How to they compare to the Bose? I may be in
> the market for a headset... I wish the Bose had music input though!

I was all set to buy a Bose at OSH, although the Bose guys weren't
doing a hard enough sell on me.

After looking at the DC X11, I decided to wait. The $300-$350 price
difference is something that Bose is going to have to deal with I
think. Even the name of the David Clark (X11) has got to be taken as a
slap towards Bose 11 is higher than a 10. I decided to wait 6-12
months and see what shakes out in the market.

Features that I saw about the X11.
* Lighter than the Bose (but not by much)
* Similar light clamping force on my head
* music and cell phone inputs
* composite materials. Looks like its stronger than the bose.
* folds in a neat package

Per the DC guy, the Bose would have better music quality (it's what
they do after all), but David Clark concetrates on communication
(better mic quality, etc). The Tri-port feature on the Bose allows for
better music, but suffers in passive attenuation (since your venting
the earcups)

The X11's are interesting in that the ear cups are specifically shaped.
You can't flip the mic from one side to the other (i.e. wear the
headset backwards).

In short, the DC X11's were comfortable, and were a 30% of an AMU
cheaper. It definetely put a pause in my purchasing decision...

Now if someone from Bose is reading this and wants to bring me back to
the fold and wants to send me a free demo unit for a year or so.... ;-)

Dave[_1_]
August 4th 06, 02:03 AM
Hmmmmm...

I am going to see how this pans out.

Music fine, but I really need to hear the coms..

Dave

On 3 Aug 2006 09:38:21 -0700, "bdl" > wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> Anyone try these at OSH? How to they compare to the Bose? I may be in
>> the market for a headset... I wish the Bose had music input though!
>
>I was all set to buy a Bose at OSH, although the Bose guys weren't
>doing a hard enough sell on me.
>
>After looking at the DC X11, I decided to wait. The $300-$350 price
>difference is something that Bose is going to have to deal with I
>think. Even the name of the David Clark (X11) has got to be taken as a
>slap towards Bose 11 is higher than a 10. I decided to wait 6-12
>months and see what shakes out in the market.
>
>Features that I saw about the X11.
>* Lighter than the Bose (but not by much)
>* Similar light clamping force on my head
>* music and cell phone inputs
>* composite materials. Looks like its stronger than the bose.
>* folds in a neat package
>
>Per the DC guy, the Bose would have better music quality (it's what
>they do after all), but David Clark concetrates on communication
>(better mic quality, etc). The Tri-port feature on the Bose allows for
>better music, but suffers in passive attenuation (since your venting
>the earcups)
>
>The X11's are interesting in that the ear cups are specifically shaped.
> You can't flip the mic from one side to the other (i.e. wear the
>headset backwards).
>
>In short, the DC X11's were comfortable, and were a 30% of an AMU
>cheaper. It definetely put a pause in my purchasing decision...
>
>Now if someone from Bose is reading this and wants to bring me back to
>the fold and wants to send me a free demo unit for a year or so.... ;-)

Mike Noel
August 4th 06, 04:53 AM
I tried some Telex Stratus 30 xt's at the Telex booth and thought they were
extremely comfortable and had good noise attenuation. They also had music
and cell phone inputs. I still couldn't bring myself to part with $500
since I had a pair of DRE 6000 ENR headphones. Instead I've ordered heat
sensitive foam ear pads covered with a soft covering to replace the rather
stiff plastic ear pads that came with mine. If they turn out to be comfy and
quiet, I'll only have about $300 invested in them. Hard to believe I could
buy 3 of my headphones and still have $100 left over for the price of a set
of Bose headphones.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

"bdl" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dan wrote:
>> Anyone try these at OSH? How to they compare to the Bose? I may be in
>> the market for a headset... I wish the Bose had music input though!
>
> I was all set to buy a Bose at OSH, although the Bose guys weren't
> doing a hard enough sell on me.
>
> After looking at the DC X11, I decided to wait. The $300-$350 price
> difference is something that Bose is going to have to deal with I
> think. Even the name of the David Clark (X11) has got to be taken as a
> slap towards Bose 11 is higher than a 10. I decided to wait 6-12
> months and see what shakes out in the market.
>
> Features that I saw about the X11.
> * Lighter than the Bose (but not by much)
> * Similar light clamping force on my head
> * music and cell phone inputs
> * composite materials. Looks like its stronger than the bose.
> * folds in a neat package
>
> Per the DC guy, the Bose would have better music quality (it's what
> they do after all), but David Clark concetrates on communication
> (better mic quality, etc). The Tri-port feature on the Bose allows for
> better music, but suffers in passive attenuation (since your venting
> the earcups)
>
> The X11's are interesting in that the ear cups are specifically shaped.
> You can't flip the mic from one side to the other (i.e. wear the
> headset backwards).
>
> In short, the DC X11's were comfortable, and were a 30% of an AMU
> cheaper. It definetely put a pause in my purchasing decision...
>
> Now if someone from Bose is reading this and wants to bring me back to
> the fold and wants to send me a free demo unit for a year or so.... ;-)

Jon Kraus
August 5th 06, 02:11 PM
<snip>

> Now if someone from Bose is reading this and wants to bring me back to
> the fold and wants to send me a free demo unit for a year or so.... ;-)

I'm not from Bose but I do have one of their Aviation X headsets, and I
have a David Clark (DC) 20-10XL which were their flagship set before the
X11's came out. I think I paid .7 AMU's for the 20-10XL's 4 years ago
and they have been an excellent headset. Light years ahead of the Pilot
Avionics 1776's they replaced (although they were twice the price of the
DC's).

Both the ANR and microphone quality on the DC's are excellent. The only
thing I don't like is the huge (6 AA) battery box but they have since
made it much smaller. They have held up very well but I did have one
ANR moodule go out that DC fixed for free. Their customer service is
excellent but I was a little disappointed that they broke.

Now about the Aviation X's. They are the total bomb!! Lightweight,
excellent ANR and mircophone. I have heard people say that they would
no-way pay 1 AMU for a headset and that is cool. I don't look at it
like I'm paying 1 AMU. With Bose's no-interest payment plan I paid
one-hundred bucks when I ordered and then 11 payments of .082 AMU's. I
figured that I ****ed away eighty-two bucks a month on bull**** stuff so
this is no big deal. Oh yea.. If you order the Bose before the end of
August they will send you a Garmin Geko 201 handheld GPS for free!! (a
..15 AMU value)

If DC was smart they would implement the same payment plan as Bose. For
me shelling out 1 AMU caused me to think twice about buying an expensive
headset. Making the intrest-free payments was a no brainer.

Now if Garmin would only offer their 396 or 496 with interest-free
payments. :-)

Whichever way you go, Bose or DC you won't be sorry. Both are excellent
headsets.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

bdl
August 6th 06, 12:02 AM
> If DC was smart they would implement the same payment plan as Bose. For
> me shelling out 1 AMU caused me to think twice about buying an expensive
> headset. Making the intrest-free payments was a no brainer.

Oh I know the Bose are the bomb. Both of my airplane partners have
them, I've tried them, I love them, and I'm with you the payment plan
can't be beat. (The Gecko GPS is a wash for me, I liked the flashlight
they were giving away with the previous deal better)...

Like I said I was all set to buy them. Then I saw the DC X11, and what
I saw was, "Hmm. It looks like DC is going after Bose for the high end
headset market." How will Bose respond? I'm hoping that Bose either
comes out with a better deal in the ensuing months, or DC does, or
whatever.

> Now if Garmin would only offer their 396 or 496 with interest-free
> payments. :-)

Yep. Lots of ~>1AMU stuff that would be good with a payment plan....
If I had known about a Bose payment plan when I started flying, I
probably would have picked a pair up then.

Brian
N9093K

Jack Allison[_1_]
August 6th 06, 05:54 AM
Dave wrote:
> Hmmmmm...
>
> I am going to see how this pans out.
>
> Music fine, but I really need to hear the coms..

Agreed. Clarity of the coms is higher on my list than music quality.
I'm interested to see how the X11 pans out as well. Saw then at OSH,
should have tried them. Tried the Bose a couple years ago and they were
great...but...it's that whole 1.0 AMU thing.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Google