PDA

View Full Version : 'A' or 'B' generator circuit?

jim
August 7th 06, 10:47 PM
This is so embarrassing, I must just be getting old; I can't remember
if the generator in my '61 C-172 is an A or B circuit. Worse, I
forget which one is which. Does the 'A' supply controlled voltage
to the field and the 'B' does a controlled "ground out" of
voltage coming from the field or do I have it backwards? My system
seems to be charging, just not enough. It might be OK and I'm just
taking too many short hops with too many bells and whistles on. Can
someone refresh my memory so my checks are correct?

Jim

Ray Andraka
August 8th 06, 02:02 AM
jim wrote:
> This is so embarrassing, I must just be getting old; I can't remember
> if the generator in my '61 C-172 is an A or B circuit. Worse, I
> forget which one is which. Does the 'A' supply controlled voltage
> to the field and the 'B' does a controlled "ground out" of
> voltage coming from the field or do I have it backwards? My system
> seems to be charging, just not enough. It might be OK and I'm just
> taking too many short hops with too many bells and whistles on. Can
> someone refresh my memory so my checks are correct?
>
> Jim

The regulator is between the alternator and ground in the A type system
("controls the ground"), and is between the power buss and the
alternator in a B type system ("controls the power"). Piper Cherokees
use a type B system. I don't know about Cessnas.

Google