PDA

View Full Version : CESSNA LSA

john smith
August 8th 06, 04:39 AM
According to AvWeb, Cessna says they are going to have a hard time
producing their LSA for under $100,000.
That's not going to sell well.
Then again, I may be wrong!

August 8th 06, 05:25 AM
john smith > wrote:
> According to AvWeb, Cessna says they are going to have a hard time
> producing their LSA for under $100,000.
> That's not going to sell well.
> Then again, I may be wrong!

The blurbs I've been reading say if they can't get to the magic
$100K, they aren't going to produce it.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Ron Wanttaja
August 8th 06, 05:36 AM
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 04:25:01 GMT, wrote:

> john smith > wrote:
> > According to AvWeb, Cessna says they are going to have a hard time
> > producing their LSA for under $100,000.
> > That's not going to sell well.
> > Then again, I may be wrong!
>
> The blurbs I've been reading say if they can't get to the magic
> $100K, they aren't going to produce it.

One thing I read said they weren't intending to certify it as an LSA. They'd go
for Normal category (thus making it more compatible with FBO operations) but
ensure it met the Sport Pilot limitations.

Ron Wanttaja

Montblack[_1_]
August 8th 06, 06:15 AM
wrote)
> The blurbs I've been reading say if they can't get to the magic $100K,
> they aren't going to produce it.

http://skyhawk.cessna.com/pricelist.chtml
Price List: $172,500 - $209,750
Max speed at sea level: 123 kts

Cessna LSA:
"120 kts!"
$100,000(?)
60% the fuel burn of a new 172?

Montblack

August 8th 06, 10:25 AM
Montblack > wrote:
> wrote)
> > The blurbs I've been reading say if they can't get to the magic $100K,
> > they aren't going to produce it.

> http://skyhawk.cessna.com/pricelist.chtml
> Price List: $172,500 - $209,750
> Max speed at sea level: 123 kts

> Cessna LSA:
> "120 kts!"
> $100,000(?)
> 60% the fuel burn of a new 172?

Yeah, but at a much reduced payload.

Check out the Sport Cruiser at http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

ET
August 8th 06, 08:46 PM
wrote in :

> Montblack > wrote:
>> wrote)
>> > The blurbs I've been reading say if they can't get to the magic
>> > $100K, they aren't going to produce it.
>

>> http://skyhawk.cessna.com/pricelist.chtml
>> Price List: $172,500 - $209,750
>> Max speed at sea level: 123 kts
>
>> Cessna LSA:
>> "120 kts!"
>> $100,000(?)
>> 60% the fuel burn of a new 172?
>
> Yeah, but at a much reduced payload.
>
> Check out the Sport Cruiser at http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/

The sport cruiser will only cruise at about 100 knots...

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

August 8th 06, 09:55 PM
ET > wrote:
> wrote in :

> > Montblack > wrote:
> >> wrote)
> >

> >> http://skyhawk.cessna.com/pricelist.chtml
> >> Price List: $172,500 - $209,750
> >> Max speed at sea level: 123 kts
> >
> >> Cessna LSA:
> >> "120 kts!"
> >> $100,000(?)
> >> 60% the fuel burn of a new 172?
> >
> > Yeah, but at a much reduced payload.
> >
> > Check out the Sport Cruiser at http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/
> >

> The sport cruiser will only cruise at about 100 knots...

Yeah, I really meant the parrot which is about 115 knots with 120 hp.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Gig 601XL Builder
August 8th 06, 10:23 PM
> wrote in message
> ET > wrote:
>> wrote in :

>> > Yeah, but at a much reduced payload.
>> >
>> > Check out the Sport Cruiser at http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/
>> >

>> The sport cruiser will only cruise at about 100 knots...
>
> Yeah, I really meant the parrot which is about 115 knots with 120 hp.

You know that Sport Cruiser looks like it should be faster than that even
with a 912ULS engine.

ET
August 8th 06, 10:40 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> ET > wrote:
>>> wrote in
>>> :

>>> The sport cruiser will only cruise at about 100 knots...
>>
>> Yeah, I really meant the parrot which is about 115 knots with 120 hp.
>>

> You know that Sport Cruiser looks like it should be faster than that
> even with a 912ULS engine.

The looks are decieving. I was told at OSH by the dealer that the slower
speed has to do some with higher empty weight, although that doesnt make
much sense since it is still slower at the same gross the parrot would
be faster at....

I like the Parrot alot, although I'm ussually partial to low wings, the
Parrot DOES have a stand-up cockpit. I bet the Sport Cruiser would get
up there a bit with the Jabiru engine.

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

August 8th 06, 11:28 PM
On 8-Aug-2006, wrote:

> Yeah, I really meant the parrot which is about 115 knots with 120 hp.

--If you believe in miracles. By the laws of aerodynamics, for a given
airframe (i.e. same drag characteristics) the airspeed in level flight will
increase as the cube root of the increase in power. According to the cited
webpage, the Parrot cruises at 75% with a 100 hp engine at 115 mph (100
kts). They PROJECT that 75% cruise speed will be 130 mph(113 kts) with a
120 hp engine. But according to the cube root law, you would need to
increase engine size to 144 hp in order to get 75% cruise to increase from
115 to 130 mph. In order to do it with only 120 hp you would have to have a
miraculous increase in propeller efficiency (not likely, and anyway you
can't do better than 100%) and/or a huge reduction in cooling drag (also
unlikely). More likely, 75% cruise with the 120 hp engine will be around
122 mph (106 kts).

-Elliott Drucker

Lyle Cox
August 9th 06, 05:36 PM
actually...according to one sport cruiser dealer......the Sport Cruiser is
distributed by the same distributor as teh Sport Sting, which has a much
higher price tag. The distributor, on purpose, de-rates the Cruiser's speed
to improve the sales on the Sting.

I'll let you know. I'm flying a Cruiser next week.

> On 8-Aug-2006, wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I really meant the parrot which is about 115 knots with 120 hp.
>

> --If you believe in miracles. By the laws of aerodynamics, for a given
> airframe (i.e. same drag characteristics) the airspeed in level flight
> will
> increase as the cube root of the increase in power. According to the
> cited
> webpage, the Parrot cruises at 75% with a 100 hp engine at 115 mph (100
> kts). They PROJECT that 75% cruise speed will be 130 mph(113 kts) with a
> 120 hp engine. But according to the cube root law, you would need to
> increase engine size to 144 hp in order to get 75% cruise to increase from
> 115 to 130 mph. In order to do it with only 120 hp you would have to have
> miraculous increase in propeller efficiency (not likely, and anyway you
> can't do better than 100%) and/or a huge reduction in cooling drag (also
> unlikely). More likely, 75% cruise with the 120 hp engine will be around
> 122 mph (106 kts).
>

> -Elliott Drucker

ET
August 9th 06, 07:46 PM
wrote in

> On 8-Aug-2006, wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I really meant the parrot which is about 115 knots with 120 hp.
>

> --If you believe in miracles. By the laws of aerodynamics, for a
> given airframe (i.e. same drag characteristics) the airspeed in level
> flight will increase as the cube root of the increase in power.
> According to the cited webpage, the Parrot cruises at 75% with a 100
> hp engine at 115 mph (100 kts). They PROJECT that 75% cruise speed
> will be 130 mph(113 kts) with a 120 hp engine. But according to the
> cube root law, you would need to increase engine size to 144 hp in
> order to get 75% cruise to increase from 115 to 130 mph. In order to
> do it with only 120 hp you would have to have a miraculous increase in
> propeller efficiency (not likely, and anyway you can't do better than
> 100%) and/or a huge reduction in cooling drag (also unlikely). More
> likely, 75% cruise with the 120 hp engine will be around 122 mph (106
> kts).
>

> -Elliott Drucker

It could also be the efficiency of the "100 hp" Rotax comparted to the
120hp Jabiru. Cooling drag WILL come into effect as the Rotax is water
cooled and generally not well baffled in the engine compartment except
for the radiator.

Also for some reason they want to put a 3 blade propeller on these Rotax
LSAs, and I mostly see 2 bladed props on Jabirus.

Maybe wont make up the whole difference, but time will tell I suppose.

--

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Google