PDA

View Full Version : Temporary (Pink) Registration

RH[_1_]
August 11th 06, 02:37 AM
OK so I've had the Bonanza about a month now, and I'm absolutely in
love with the speed and comfort of this plane.

I really want to go up to Canada to visit some relatives, but I dont
yet have the permanent FAA registration, and the temporary registration
has a big "NOT VALID IF OPERATED OUTSIDE OF THE US" stamped on it.

Does anyone know if I can get a waiver or something to allow a trip
outside of the US? And, for that matter who really cares? I don't say
that to be smart, I mean is it US Customs? Canadian customs?
Transport Canada? If Canada doesnt mind, then by the time we come back
to the US we will be in the US so wont it all be moot?

Anyone dealt with this before?

Richard

August 11th 06, 07:57 AM
On 10-Aug-2006, "RH" > wrote:

> And, for that matter who really cares?

Last time I flew into Canada, about 3 months ago, the Customs Canada
inspector asked to see the airplane registration and Airworthiness
Certificate. If you present a pink slip under those circumstances you
probably will be denied entry and may be subject to a fine or worse.

Upon returning from Canada, the US Customs insector also asked to see the
registration. I don't want to think of what would have happened if I had
tried to get by with a pink slip, but it would have been bad.

With all the heightened border security, why take a chance? You really
don't want to risk having that sweet Bonanza impounded, do you?

-Elliott Drucker

Denny
August 11th 06, 12:22 PM
Call OK City and ask the person at the FAA office what you can do to
expedite your permanat registration..

denny

August 11th 06, 03:25 PM
Denny > wrote:
: Call OK City and ask the person at the FAA office what you can do to
: expedite your permanat registration..

We had to expedite our registration before our Alaska trip last summer. There
are some magic words to utter on the registration if you want it expedited, but I'm
sure if you call you can get the status.

You definately don't want to try to cross the boarder with improper paperwork.
Customs (both sides) checked us all out. The particularly annoying thing was that
technically speaking, an FCC radio license was required for the crossing. We got one,
even though everyone we talked to (including customs before we left) said nobody ever
checked.... and nobody did. By the books it's required though.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Robert M. Gary
August 11th 06, 07:01 PM
OK City will issue you a temporary that is valid for international
crossing. Just give them a call a week in advance.

-Robert, CFI

RH[_1_]
August 11th 06, 11:59 PM
Hey thanks for all the replies & great advice!

I think for this weekend we will just fly as close to the border as we
can - IAG (Niagara Falls) and drive the 90 minutes from there.

Richard

houstondan
August 12th 06, 12:46 AM
you're pretty close in time anyway.

i bought my 172 in april this year and had the white paper in hand
right about 30 days later.

dan

RH wrote:
> Hey thanks for all the replies & great advice!
>
> I think for this weekend we will just fly as close to the border as we
> can - IAG (Niagara Falls) and drive the 90 minutes from there.
>
> Richard

NW_Pilot
August 12th 06, 12:27 PM
Fill this out!

Declaration of International Operations Form
http://www.aircraftdelivery.net/ferrypilotforms/IntlFlt.pdf

& Instructions
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/registration_aircraft_committed_internation_operat ion

Enjoy & Have Fun!

"RH" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> OK so I've had the Bonanza about a month now, and I'm absolutely in
> love with the speed and comfort of this plane.
>
> I really want to go up to Canada to visit some relatives, but I dont
> yet have the permanent FAA registration, and the temporary registration
> has a big "NOT VALID IF OPERATED OUTSIDE OF THE US" stamped on it.
>
> Does anyone know if I can get a waiver or something to allow a trip
> outside of the US? And, for that matter who really cares? I don't say
> that to be smart, I mean is it US Customs? Canadian customs?
> Transport Canada? If Canada doesnt mind, then by the time we come back
> to the US we will be in the US so wont it all be moot?
>
> Anyone dealt with this before?
>
> Richard

Stache
August 13th 06, 05:45 PM
RH wrote:
> OK so I've had the Bonanza about a month now, and I'm absolutely in
> love with the speed and comfort of this plane.
>
> I really want to go up to Canada to visit some relatives, but I dont
> yet have the permanent FAA registration, and the temporary registration
> has a big "NOT VALID IF OPERATED OUTSIDE OF THE US" stamped on it.
>
> Does anyone know if I can get a waiver or something to allow a trip
> outside of the US? And, for that matter who really cares? I don't say
> that to be smart, I mean is it US Customs? Canadian customs?
> Transport Canada? If Canada doesnt mind, then by the time we come back
> to the US we will be in the US so wont it all be moot?
>
> Anyone dealt with this before?
>
> Richard

Richard,

What you need is a "fly wire" its faxed copy of the registration from
the FAA out of Oklahama City. You can contact 510-748-0122 ext 246 and
ask the person who answeres to assist you he is very helpful.

Stache

RH[_1_]
August 14th 06, 02:15 AM
Stache & NW Pilot - thank you!!

I should have posted this earlier in the week to allow for just a
little more time to get the documentation right. As it is we just
returned from IAG, and the vehicle traffic on the border from CAN to
USA was a bear. Lots of heightened security no doubt due to the recent
UK terror plot.

It was a great trip otherwise - and what fantastic weather! And this
was the sort of "spur of the moment" trip that is just about impossible
to do when you are a renter pilot.

Thanks to all who posted.

Richard

Google