PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump STC

gt
August 13th 06, 04:40 PM
I would like to make my 1960 Cessna 172A IFR. Currently, I have only
venturi vacuum. My A & P stated that as there is no STC for a vacuum
pump intall, I need a form 337 field approval...I think it is form 337,
I could be wrong on that. Does anyone have information relating to
STC's and field approvals for vacuum pump installations on a
Continental 300-C?

Michael[_1_]
August 14th 06, 07:52 PM
For the kind of IFR you can fly in that kind of airplane, and
considering how docile it is partial panle, I would suggest you stick
with a venturi to drive your vacuum gyros with a large venturi, and put
in an electric T&B. That is a perfectly viable setup (I once trained
an IFR student in a Pacer set up that way) and will not require field
approvals.

A 337 is a record of major alteration (the installation of a Venturi
and some gyros is generally considered minor, though your FSDO may
differ, and thus requires only a logbook entry) and has to be backed up
with either the type cert, an STC, or a field approval. Unless your
mechanic has an in at the FSDO, you won't get a field approval.

You can look up all the STC's available for your airplane at:
http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/ (click on the STC link a few lines down
the page). There may be one for your airplane/engine (look it up both
ways).

In the long run, it will probably be cheaper to sell your airplane and
buy one that is already IFR capable.

Michael

gt wrote:
> I would like to make my 1960 Cessna 172A IFR. Currently, I have only
> venturi vacuum. My A & P stated that as there is no STC for a vacuum
> pump intall, I need a form 337 field approval...I think it is form 337,
> I could be wrong on that. Does anyone have information relating to
> STC's and field approvals for vacuum pump installations on a
> Continental 300-C?

Bill[_4_]
August 15th 06, 05:11 PM
Are you sure the 300C has a vacuum pump pad? I know the 300D does.
Check the type certificate data sheets. Without a pad, this would be
really difficult--tho I have seen a belt drive setup on a C170. Make
it like
new 172s, with the same vacuum regulator, etc. Easier to STC.

As the other poster suggested, the in not a legal requirement to have a
pump.
I think an electric turn coordinator would be a great idea.

Bill Hale

gt wrote:
> I would like to make my 1960 Cessna 172A IFR. Currently, I have only
> venturi vacuum. My A & P stated that as there is no STC for a vacuum
> pump intall, I need a form 337 field approval...I think it is form 337,
> I could be wrong on that. Does anyone have information relating to
> STC's and field approvals for vacuum pump installations on a
> Continental 300-C?

Ron Natalie
August 16th 06, 01:42 AM
Bill wrote:
> Are you sure the 300C has a vacuum pump pad? I know the 300D does.
> Check the type certificate data sheets. Without a pad, this would be
> really difficult--tho I have seen a belt drive setup on a C170. Make
> it like
> new 172s, with the same vacuum regulator, etc. Easier to STC.

I've seen two early 172's with the belt drive off the front of
the engine...I don't think it's too uncommon.

Google