PDA

View Full Version : Skytec starters for 0-470s???

Guy Byars
August 14th 06, 12:30 AM
I am considering upgrading the starter in my 182P Skylane with the new
Sky-Tec flyweight starter. It looks like it will spin the prop faster -w-
less power.

Does anyone have experience with the Sky-Tec flyweight starter in an O-470
engine?

Guy Byars

Newps
August 14th 06, 12:42 AM
Do not get the lightweight starters without also replacing the starter
adapter with the model that works with these type starters. Call
Niagara Airparts and they will explain it all.

Guy Byars wrote:
> I am considering upgrading the starter in my 182P Skylane with the new
> Sky-Tec flyweight starter. It looks like it will spin the prop faster -w-
> less power.
>
> Does anyone have experience with the Sky-Tec flyweight starter in an O-470
> engine?
>
> Guy Byars

Guy Byars
August 14th 06, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure I understand, the flyweight starter from Sky-Tec is a bolt on
replacement for the original. What adapter are you talking about?

"Newps" > wrote in message
. ..
> Do not get the lightweight starters without also replacing the starter
> adapter with the model that works with these type starters. Call
> Niagara Airparts and they will explain it all.
>

> Guy Byars wrote:
> > I am considering upgrading the starter in my 182P Skylane with the new
> > Sky-Tec flyweight starter. It looks like it will spin the prop
faster -w-
> > less power.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with the Sky-Tec flyweight starter in an
O-470
> > engine?
> >
> > Guy Byars

Newps
August 14th 06, 02:37 PM
The starter bolts to the starter adapter. When you turn the key the
starter spins the adapter which in turn spins the engine. The new
starter operates a little differently from the original. The difference
is in how it engages and disengages. Lightweight starter and standard
starter adapter do not work for very long. You're right they bolt right
up but they don't play well for long.

Guy Byars wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand, the flyweight starter from Sky-Tec is a bolt on
> replacement for the original. What adapter are you talking about?
>

> "Newps" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Do not get the lightweight starters without also replacing the starter
>>adapter with the model that works with these type starters. Call
>>Niagara Airparts and they will explain it all.
>>

>>Guy Byars wrote:
>>
>>>I am considering upgrading the starter in my 182P Skylane with the new
>>>Sky-Tec flyweight starter. It looks like it will spin the prop
>
> faster -w-
>
>>>less power.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have experience with the Sky-Tec flyweight starter in an
>
> O-470
>
>>>engine?
>>>
>>>Guy Byars

August 14th 06, 03:34 PM
Newps wrote:
> The starter bolts to the starter adapter. When you turn the key the
> starter spins the adapter which in turn spins the engine. The new
> starter operates a little differently from the original. The difference
> is in how it engages and disengages. Lightweight starter and standard
> starter adapter do not work for very long. You're right they bolt right
> up but they don't play well for long.
>
> Guy Byars wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand, the flyweight starter from Sky-Tec is a bolt on
> > replacement for the original. What adapter are you talking about?
> >

> > "Newps" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >
> >>Do not get the lightweight starters without also replacing the starter
> >>adapter with the model that works with these type starters. Call
> >>Niagara Airparts and they will explain it all.

On the O-470 the starter is always engaged, and a coil
spring clutch acts as a one-way drive . What would the new drive
adapter have that's different?
We put a Lamar starter on an O-470, and it was so gutless
that we ended up buying another old Prestolite to replace it. Those
permanent magnets are only so powerful. I think the Skytecs or
Magnaflites might be better; we use Magnaflites on three 172s and they
work OK.

Dan

Allen[_1_]
August 14th 06, 06:08 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On the O-470 the starter is always engaged, and a coil
> spring clutch acts as a one-way drive . What would the new drive
> adapter have that's different?
> We put a Lamar starter on an O-470, and it was so gutless
> that we ended up buying another old Prestolite to replace it. Those
> permanent magnets are only so powerful. I think the Skytecs or
> Magnaflites might be better; we use Magnaflites on three 172s and they
> work OK.
>
> Dan

The starter adapter is always engaged; the starter only turns when
energized, which in turn causes the coil spring clutch to clamp onto the
starter adapter shaft and turn the engine. I think the problem comes from
the lightweight starter (planetary drive gear) not stopping quickly after
being de-energized which causes the spring to stay clamped and causes wear.

Allen

DL
August 14th 06, 06:46 PM
There are two types of Continental starter adapters for O-470 engines. 1)
What Niagra calls the "classic" version, needs a starter that is able to
turn freely when not energized, since the adapter must "unwind" a bit after
the engine starts. Such a starter adapter has been reported to have
problems with the older Sky-Tec starter for Cont. O-470's, C12ST1. The
newer Sky-Tec starter for Continentals, C12ST3 is supposed to solve this
problem, as this starter's output shaft can be turned by hand, in either
direction, when not energized. 2) The newer Continental starter adapter is
described in Cont. Service Bulletin M92-10. It "may" have been happy with
the older Sky-Tec starter (I don't know) and I don't know if Sky-Tec still
sells the ST1, since it now has the ST3. Continental's Service Information
Letter SIL02-4 describes a newer starter that sounds like it works like the
Sky-Tec ST1. I wouldn't want to use such a starter with the "classic"
starter adapter - a lot of which adapters are still in service.

How does one know which kind of starter adapter they have? The SB M92-10
says the newer adapter may exhibit varying degrees of resistance to
propellor rotation in the direction opposite to normal engine cranking
rotation. I don't think the "classic" adapter exhibits such resistance.

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Newps wrote:
>> The starter bolts to the starter adapter. When you turn the key the
>> starter spins the adapter which in turn spins the engine. The new
>> starter operates a little differently from the original. The difference
>> is in how it engages and disengages. Lightweight starter and standard
>> starter adapter do not work for very long. You're right they bolt right
>> up but they don't play well for long.
>>
>> Guy Byars wrote:
>> > I'm not sure I understand, the flyweight starter from Sky-Tec is a bolt
>> > on
>> > replacement for the original. What adapter are you talking about?
>> >

>> > "Newps" > wrote in message
>> > . ..

> On the O-470 the starter is always engaged, and a coil
> spring clutch acts as a one-way drive . What would the new drive
> adapter have that's different?
> We put a Lamar starter on an O-470, and it was so gutless
> that we ended up buying another old Prestolite to replace it. Those
> permanent magnets are only so powerful. I think the Skytecs or
> Magnaflites might be better; we use Magnaflites on three 172s and they
> work OK.
>
> Dan

Newps
August 14th 06, 06:49 PM
wrote:

> On the O-470 the starter is always engaged,

The adapter is always engaged not the starter. The adapter is merely a
set of gears, a spring and a shaft.

and a coil
> spring clutch acts as a one-way drive . What would the new drive
> adapter have that's different?

The starters engage differently and they also release differently and
that is the key.

Fly
September 4th 06, 04:29 AM
Aircraft Specialties Services in Tulsa Oklahoma made a cutaway adaptor
housing to be able to film the mechanism during engagement and engine
running.

Indeed, all the permanent magnet motors have high turning resistance and
thus does not allow the old style adptor to completely relax and disengage.
Only the Skytech and the old heavy prestolite style motor allowed proper
operation..

The "new style" adaptor spring actually is an interfernece fit on the clutch
drum. That is how it achieves the friction to engage. The clutch shaft has
a pressure oil galley and once the engine is running,the clutch spring rides
on the hydrodynamic film of pressurized oil.

Kent Felkins
Tulsa

"Newps" > wrote in message
. ..

> wrote:
>

>> On the O-470 the starter is always engaged,
>
> The adapter is always engaged not the starter. The adapter is merely a
> set of gears, a spring and a shaft.
>

> and a coil
>> spring clutch acts as a one-way drive . What would the new drive
>> adapter have that's different?
>
> The starters engage differently and they also release differently and that
> is the key.

Google