PDA

View Full Version : New Cessna Forum

Carl Orton
August 15th 06, 02:08 AM
There's a new membership-based discussion forum that's been active for about
a month now. It's at http://www.cessna-pilots.com

Membershp is free, although most of the users expect some type of fee in a
year or so. There are close to 500 members registered at this point.

You don't have to own a Cessna, but you'll probably get better mileage from
reading the posts if you do.

There are separate discussion forums for each type of Cessna (172, 182,
300-series, etc.), general maintenance, piloting, etc.

I have no principal stake in this website - I am just a plain 'ol member who
enjoys increasing my type-specific knowledge.

Carl

Jose[_1_]
August 15th 06, 03:43 AM
> There's a new membership-based discussion forum

I don't understand the advantage of such a forum over Usenet (except
maybe OT postings, which I can skip).

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.

Andrew Sarangan[_1_]
August 15th 06, 03:56 AM
Jose wrote:
> > There's a new membership-based discussion forum
>
> I don't understand the advantage of such a forum over Usenet (except
> maybe OT postings, which I can skip).
>
> Jose

Actually I don't quite understand why there are so many 'private'
discussion groups, for all kinds of products and applications, some
where you even have to pay. I can understand this where membership is
controlled due to sensitive or private information, but for the vast
majority of these groups anyone can join just by sending an email to
majordomo. May be they are afraid of a wider audience, or stage fright.
May be this is also why some specify 'no-archive' on their usenet
postings.

Jose[_1_]
August 15th 06, 04:17 AM
> Actually I don't quite understand why there are so many 'private'
> discussion groups...

Yanno... if Usenet didn't exist, and somebody just invented it, it would
be considered a great advance, like podcasting.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.

john smith
August 15th 06, 01:09 PM
In article om>,
"Andrew Sarangan" > wrote:

> Actually I don't quite understand why there are so many 'private'
> discussion groups, for all kinds of products and applications, some
> where you even have to pay. I can understand this where membership is
> controlled due to sensitive or private information, but for the vast
> majority of these groups anyone can join just by sending an email to
> majordomo. May be they are afraid of a wider audience, or stage fright.
> May be this is also why some specify 'no-archive' on their usenet
> postings.

If it is moderated, you won't get the off-topic thread drift and flames.
This would seem to make it a more "civilized" forum.

Newps
August 15th 06, 02:54 PM
Jose wrote:

>> There's a new membership-based discussion forum
>

> I don't understand the advantage of such a forum over Usenet (except
> maybe OT postings, which I can skip).

Then you're the only one. The Cessna Pilots Assoc maintains a web board
that easily gets 10 times the posts that this group gets. If there's
something you want to know about your Cessna that's the place to go.

houstondan
August 16th 06, 04:11 PM
further on that, having been a member of the cessna pilots assn. for a
few months, since i bought my 172-c, i've found there are real serious
benifits to paying the very cheap dues. they have a staff of tech
experts, a huge database and archive, well produced monthly glossy
magazine and on and on.
seems there have been personal conflicts and affronts (about which
i know nothing and really care less) as a result of which there was
formed the other group comprised of wonderfully nice, extremely
experienced experts to be sure. no resources but excellent people as
best i can tell.

just my opinion but it seems that if the second group is wildly
successful then the first group will not be able to afford to keep up
the tech resources which would be a huge loss for cessna owners
worldwide. i don't really see that happening as we have a less than 500
person free sign-up group on one hand and a fee paid membership of
many, many thousands on the other.

it was people on this group who suggested i check out the c.p.a. when i
bought and that was excellent advice. i would strongly advise any
cessna owner to pay and participate in the cessna pilots assn. it costs
me about an hour of avgas. as long as it's free i also enjoy checking
the threads at the other group sometimes.

dan
Newps wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>
> >> There's a new membership-based discussion forum
> >

> > I don't understand the advantage of such a forum over Usenet (except
> > maybe OT postings, which I can skip).
>
> Then you're the only one. The Cessna Pilots Assoc maintains a web board
> that easily gets 10 times the posts that this group gets. If there's
> something you want to know about your Cessna that's the place to go.

RST Engineering
August 16th 06, 07:15 PM
Can anybody please tell me where this thread started. I'd like to read the
whole thing.

Jim

real_name
August 16th 06, 07:31 PM
In article >,
"RST Engineering" > wrote:

> Can anybody please tell me where this thread started. I'd like to read the
> whole thing.
>
> Jim

Here is the original message:

From: "Carl Orton" >
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: New Cessna Forum
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:08:37 -0500
rec.aviation.piloting:483890

There's a new membership-based discussion forum that's been active for
about
a month now. It's at http://www.cessna-pilots.com

Membershp is free, although most of the users expect some type of fee in
year or so. There are close to 500 members registered at this point.

You don't have to own a Cessna, but you'll probably get better mileage
from
reading the posts if you do.

There are separate discussion forums for each type of Cessna (172, 182,
300-series, etc.), general maintenance, piloting, etc.

I have no principal stake in this website - I am just a plain 'ol member
who
enjoys increasing my type-specific knowledge.

Carl

RST Engineering
August 16th 06, 07:43 PM
Interesting. Wonder why my newsreader can't find it at all. Oh well.
Thanks.

Jim

"real_name" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "RST Engineering" > wrote:
>
>> Can anybody please tell me where this thread started. I'd like to read
>> the
>> whole thing.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Here is the original message:

Newps
August 16th 06, 08:15 PM
houstondan wrote:

> seems there have been personal conflicts and affronts (about which
> i know nothing and really care less) as a result of which there was
> formed the other group comprised of wonderfully nice, extremely
> experienced experts to be sure. no resources but excellent people as
> best i can tell.
>
> just my opinion but it seems that if the second group is wildly
> successful then the first group will not be able to afford to keep up
> the tech resources which would be a huge loss for cessna owners
> worldwide. i don't really see that happening as we have a less than 500
> person free sign-up group on one hand and a fee paid membership of
> many, many thousands on the other.

Never heard of that and the only other group I can think of is the
Cessna Owner Organization. I belonged to that for a year. Talk about
an empty suit, there's nothing there whatsoever, even the magazine sucked.

RST Engineering
August 16th 06, 09:01 PM
Are you talking about the Cessna Pilot's Association (CPA)? If so, and
while I don't think I've agreed with you in a very long time, this one is
spot on the money.

Jim

"Newps" > wrote in message
. ..

> Never heard of that and the only other group I can think of is the Cessna
> Owner Organization. I belonged to that for a year. Talk about an empty
> suit, there's nothing there whatsoever, even the magazine sucked.

Peter R.
August 16th 06, 09:31 PM
RST Engineering > wrote:

> Interesting. Wonder why my newsreader can't find it at all. Oh well.
> Thanks.

The original was cross-posted to two groups. My newsreader (40tude Dialog)
separated the original from many of the replies. I stumbled on the replies
in one group before seeing the original the other.

FWIW...

--
Peter

Newps
August 16th 06, 11:05 PM
No, everybody is familiar with the CPA. I belonged to the CPA from just
before I bought my 182 in 1998 until July 31st when I let my membership
lapse. The CPA's web board member forums was the best I've ever seen.
When I joined the American Bonanza Society I was bitterly disappointed
at just how poor their member forum is. So disappointed that I sent an
email to the muckety mucks at the ABS telling them how **** poor their
forum was. They responded and asked what I'd like to see. I told them
to get a hold of CPA and simply copy that one. They said that since the
head of CPA used to be a Beech guy they would get a hold of him and
figure something out. We're still waiting. The Cessna Owner
Organization is I believe the newer outfit. I couldn't find even one
reason to keep my membership up with them.

http://www.cessnaowner.org/

RST Engineering wrote:
> Are you talking about the Cessna Pilot's Association (CPA)? If so, and
> while I don't think I've agreed with you in a very long time, this one is
> spot on the money.
>
> Jim
>

> "Newps" > wrote in message
> . ..
>

>>Never heard of that and the only other group I can think of is the Cessna
>>Owner Organization. I belonged to that for a year. Talk about an empty
>>suit, there's nothing there whatsoever, even the magazine sucked.

houstondan
August 16th 06, 11:50 PM
The Cessna Owner
> Organization is I believe the newer outfit. I couldn't find even one
> reason to keep my membership up with them.
>
> http://www.cessnaowner.org/

........................no, in the context of this discussion, the newer
group is the CESSNA PILOTS SOCIETY at cessna-pilots.com.

worth looking.

dan

Newps
August 17th 06, 12:04 AM
I had never seen that organization. The leader of that group, I seem to
remember, was always chafing on the CPA forums. I remember he was a
ring leader in the Cessna's to Oshkosh group that flew in this year. He
made a big deal about coming up with a logo and T-shirts, etc. Spent
hundreds of hours on that stupid logo and the one they came up with is
simply a rip off of the Bonanza's to Oshkosh logo. That was a funny
deal when that happened. I recognized about half the names on the new
organizations web board from the CPA list.

houstondan wrote:
> The Cessna Owner
>
>>Organization is I believe the newer outfit. I couldn't find even one
>>reason to keep my membership up with them.
>>
>>http://www.cessnaowner.org/
>>

> .......................no, in the context of this discussion, the newer
> group is the CESSNA PILOTS SOCIETY at cessna-pilots.com.
>
> worth looking.
>
> dan

houstondan
August 17th 06, 04:46 AM
you seem to know a lot about the orgs. way more than i do.

near as i can tell, the flock into wisconsin was a work of art.
impressive by any standard.

one of the great things about being a cessna person is the support
network and, right now, those; cpa and cps, are the center of the
universe.

06yankee clear

Newps wrote:
> I had never seen that organization. The leader of that group, I seem to
> remember, was always chafing on the CPA forums. I remember he was a
> ring leader in the Cessna's to Oshkosh group that flew in this year. He
> made a big deal about coming up with a logo and T-shirts, etc. Spent
> hundreds of hours on that stupid logo and the one they came up with is
> simply a rip off of the Bonanza's to Oshkosh logo. That was a funny
> deal when that happened. I recognized about half the names on the new
> organizations web board from the CPA list.
>
> houstondan wrote:
> > The Cessna Owner
> >
> >>Organization is I believe the newer outfit. I couldn't find even one
> >>reason to keep my membership up with them.
> >>
> >>http://www.cessnaowner.org/
> >>

> > .......................no, in the context of this discussion, the newer
> > group is the CESSNA PILOTS SOCIETY at cessna-pilots.com.
> >
> > worth looking.
> >
> > dan

Google